GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sporting heaven or hell?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 21/11/07 at 12:25
Regular
"Hello?"
Sport games, they seem to be a never ending saga. New year new version of the game with not really much different in terms of gameplay. This said sports games are one of the biggest selling genres for most of the consoles. Why is this? They've got a great pick up and play appeal, whether it's having a few beers with your mates and having a mini footy tournament or a round of golf with your dad.

I use to hate the sports genre but because of the unlimited game play and no actual quest or path to follow the games can be played to death. Having the online capability in the latest versions of sports games has extended their ever growing market of gamers. You can be the best at fifa in your group of friends but as soon as you step out into the playfield of online, things change. Yeah you'll beat some people but rest assured someone will wipe the floor with you!

I love seeing new features in the sports genre, tiger woods 08 have tournaments online each day and you win cash for your character. But how about the developers give something back instead of holding these kinds of tournaments for play money how about winning a copy of next years game. I mean we all fork out our hard earned cash to play the latest game, but when you come to trade it in or sell the game you'd struggle to get half what you paid for it.

Where else can this genre really be taken, it's great don't get me wrong but there doesn't seem to be anything really exciting about the new versions that come out. Yeah they have all the new teams/players etc oh and the 07/08/09 on the end of the title. I know it's difficult to get with the sports games because too much imagination to gameplay will loose the concept that it's your chance to manage a football team or take your rugby team to win the world cup.

Many of the new games have mini games involved which is great and I hope they continue with it because it provides a nice break from the very samey feeling you get play match after match. I'd like to see a lot more online tournaments happening because I think this could really be a great way to boost the fun of this genre.
What would you like to see get brought into the gameplay in this genre?
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Wed 21/11/07 at 12:25
Regular
"Hello?"
Sport games, they seem to be a never ending saga. New year new version of the game with not really much different in terms of gameplay. This said sports games are one of the biggest selling genres for most of the consoles. Why is this? They've got a great pick up and play appeal, whether it's having a few beers with your mates and having a mini footy tournament or a round of golf with your dad.

I use to hate the sports genre but because of the unlimited game play and no actual quest or path to follow the games can be played to death. Having the online capability in the latest versions of sports games has extended their ever growing market of gamers. You can be the best at fifa in your group of friends but as soon as you step out into the playfield of online, things change. Yeah you'll beat some people but rest assured someone will wipe the floor with you!

I love seeing new features in the sports genre, tiger woods 08 have tournaments online each day and you win cash for your character. But how about the developers give something back instead of holding these kinds of tournaments for play money how about winning a copy of next years game. I mean we all fork out our hard earned cash to play the latest game, but when you come to trade it in or sell the game you'd struggle to get half what you paid for it.

Where else can this genre really be taken, it's great don't get me wrong but there doesn't seem to be anything really exciting about the new versions that come out. Yeah they have all the new teams/players etc oh and the 07/08/09 on the end of the title. I know it's difficult to get with the sports games because too much imagination to gameplay will loose the concept that it's your chance to manage a football team or take your rugby team to win the world cup.

Many of the new games have mini games involved which is great and I hope they continue with it because it provides a nice break from the very samey feeling you get play match after match. I'd like to see a lot more online tournaments happening because I think this could really be a great way to boost the fun of this genre.
What would you like to see get brought into the gameplay in this genre?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.