GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"controversial first post about resi and eternal darkness."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 03/11/02 at 19:30
Regular
I'm writing this review here, because this game has been bundled in the same category as a game that achieved the rating of "Mature" In the American games rating system. A game loved by many, detested by me. That game I am talking about is Resident Evil for the gamecube. The question I ask before i move onto the game in subject (Eternal Darkness) is why has this game been suggested for "mature" audiences, the fact is, this rating is a contradiction in what resident evil stands for, immature shock horror, akin to night of the living dead and the faculty in terms of scaring methods used. Resident evil tries to immitate these horror genres, with playstation esque terms of gameplay (e.g. lack of proper aiming due to the fact that dual analog was not out on playstation at the time) And the original sold more than a million copies. As a result, came the spin offs, never trying anything new (resi zero is the only game to try to be slightly more ambitious with "teamplay" aspects) and now, delivered to the gamecube,
the same game, only prettier, and more levels, so its an expansion pack for £40? Capcom goes against the crowd! poopoos the real time camera, favoring still shots, with maybe an inkling of animation (if you're lucky) with the same terrible control system and nothing new, why this is in the top ten charts, i have no idea and instead of taking away gamecubes kiddy image, it adds on to immature pre-adolescent garbage. Then on a visit to America, i bought eternal darkness on import, and now i must say that I prefer it to Mario sunshine, (of which i am also an owner of.) I will explain. This game does not try to scare you through cheap resi shock tactics. It goes for a moodier and ultimately, a more subtle, intelligent ethos and succeeds. It manages to be intelligent and pretty (It's already better and I've just mentioned one point)One technique that ED does immensely well, and even luigi's mansion showed that resi couldn't manage, was the character's fear. In ED, character's heads swivel shakily towards a loud
noise unsettling the actual player, as opposed to resi's lifeless robots with the excuse that "they're trained for that kind of stuff" really, in truth, resi is just lazy. The story is told through a lady investigating her grandfathers' murder in an old fashioned mansion, the beginning of the game builds up its menacing atmosphere, and when she discovers the tome of eternal darkness, that's when the real game actually starts, the mansion acts as a hub and is ultimately better designed than Mario's fun hub, delfino plaza, as in the mansion, everything's easily accessed, yet contains a stuffed atmosphere, The voice acting is fantastic, and rivals real life, again, just setting up the atmosphere and I felt genuine fear at many points in the game. The actual levels, are played through the eyes of story-connected characters, in chronological order through time. The much hyped sanity system is brilliant; I purposely drove my character insane to see the fantastic, inventive surreal and even disturbed things that
silicon knights could think of. Hats off to them. The camera is in real time, and constantly helpful. The backgrounds are designed in true 3d, giving the game a much more solid feel then the cursed resi. The combat system is the weakest point in the game, though the maggik system uses a specialized user combination, making it more original and ultimately better than resi's but is still accomplished. What I find amazing about Eternal Darkness, is the fact that though this magnificent story led game, I always wanted to continue, to play on through this twisted, ever exciting game, even though i was scared, whereas with resi, I feel like i should cringe, and turn off. This game to me has everlasting replay value simply because the gameplay is fantastic and well thought out, and constantly surprising you. Eternal Darkness truly does deserve the title "MATURE" not because of the scares, because of the storyline and its complications, not with constant things jumping out of closets, Nintendo was right to classify
it as the first psychological thriller, it messes with your head. This is my favourite game on my gamecube. I show this off to my friends, not Mario, this is the gamecubes proudest moment (at the moment). This is nintendo's halo, or metal gear solid. Hopefully, this accomplished game will encourage developers to take the bravthe step that silicon knights did, and make a truly mature game.
Sun 03/11/02 at 20:18
Regular
"Must be Parkinson's"
yes
Sun 03/11/02 at 20:11
OK then, I can't say anthing about ED except that it's a real scary game, a;lthough I'm sure to experience the same on Monday when I get it. Resident Evil however, is also one hell of a freakish game, the main difference being that it uses pre-rendered backgrounds, whereas ED does not. Do you feel "wanted" now?
Sun 03/11/02 at 20:05
Regular
"Must be Parkinson's"
it would make me happy if people talked about ed and resi on this topic though.. makes me feel wanted
Sun 03/11/02 at 20:04
Regular
"Must be Parkinson's"
yes, i just read yours, hmmm. i guess it wasnt so controversial. I have been on gad before a long time ago as psychot332, i had quite a reputation, by which I meant i wrote a return to castle wolfenstein review then dissappeared.
Sun 03/11/02 at 20:00
Regular
I understand you're a new member so you're bound to have some teething problems when it comes to the way this site works.

Anyway, I stated my opinions on this topic hours before this was posted at http://ukchatforums.reserve.co.uk /display_messages.php?threadid=58 507&forumid=132
(remove spaces)
Sun 03/11/02 at 19:45
Regular
"Must be Parkinson's"
please forgive me edgy
Sun 03/11/02 at 19:45
Regular
"Must be Parkinson's"
ok.. its more than 3000 characters so it wouldnt fit into special reviews, forget that review in the firsty sentence bit, itts a debate about what you think of the two games, ive stated my opinions, so state yours
Sun 03/11/02 at 19:40
Regular
... wrote:
I'm writing this review here, because this game has been bundled in the same category as a game that achieved the rating of "Mature" In the American games rating system.

Oh ofcourse! So when I review GTA Vice City in just under a week's time, I'll review it in the Sony forum because it has a high age rating in America....

Ukreviews.com is the reviews site for Gameaday.
Sun 03/11/02 at 19:30
Regular
"Must be Parkinson's"
I'm writing this review here, because this game has been bundled in the same category as a game that achieved the rating of "Mature" In the American games rating system. A game loved by many, detested by me. That game I am talking about is Resident Evil for the gamecube. The question I ask before i move onto the game in subject (Eternal Darkness) is why has this game been suggested for "mature" audiences, the fact is, this rating is a contradiction in what resident evil stands for, immature shock horror, akin to night of the living dead and the faculty in terms of scaring methods used. Resident evil tries to immitate these horror genres, with playstation esque terms of gameplay (e.g. lack of proper aiming due to the fact that dual analog was not out on playstation at the time) And the original sold more than a million copies. As a result, came the spin offs, never trying anything new (resi zero is the only game to try to be slightly more ambitious with "teamplay" aspects) and now, delivered to the gamecube,
the same game, only prettier, and more levels, so its an expansion pack for £40? Capcom goes against the crowd! poopoos the real time camera, favoring still shots, with maybe an inkling of animation (if you're lucky) with the same terrible control system and nothing new, why this is in the top ten charts, i have no idea and instead of taking away gamecubes kiddy image, it adds on to immature pre-adolescent garbage. Then on a visit to America, i bought eternal darkness on import, and now i must say that I prefer it to Mario sunshine, (of which i am also an owner of.) I will explain. This game does not try to scare you through cheap resi shock tactics. It goes for a moodier and ultimately, a more subtle, intelligent ethos and succeeds. It manages to be intelligent and pretty (It's already better and I've just mentioned one point)One technique that ED does immensely well, and even luigi's mansion showed that resi couldn't manage, was the character's fear. In ED, character's heads swivel shakily towards a loud
noise unsettling the actual player, as opposed to resi's lifeless robots with the excuse that "they're trained for that kind of stuff" really, in truth, resi is just lazy. The story is told through a lady investigating her grandfathers' murder in an old fashioned mansion, the beginning of the game builds up its menacing atmosphere, and when she discovers the tome of eternal darkness, that's when the real game actually starts, the mansion acts as a hub and is ultimately better designed than Mario's fun hub, delfino plaza, as in the mansion, everything's easily accessed, yet contains a stuffed atmosphere, The voice acting is fantastic, and rivals real life, again, just setting up the atmosphere and I felt genuine fear at many points in the game. The actual levels, are played through the eyes of story-connected characters, in chronological order through time. The much hyped sanity system is brilliant; I purposely drove my character insane to see the fantastic, inventive surreal and even disturbed things that
silicon knights could think of. Hats off to them. The camera is in real time, and constantly helpful. The backgrounds are designed in true 3d, giving the game a much more solid feel then the cursed resi. The combat system is the weakest point in the game, though the maggik system uses a specialized user combination, making it more original and ultimately better than resi's but is still accomplished. What I find amazing about Eternal Darkness, is the fact that though this magnificent story led game, I always wanted to continue, to play on through this twisted, ever exciting game, even though i was scared, whereas with resi, I feel like i should cringe, and turn off. This game to me has everlasting replay value simply because the gameplay is fantastic and well thought out, and constantly surprising you. Eternal Darkness truly does deserve the title "MATURE" not because of the scares, because of the storyline and its complications, not with constant things jumping out of closets, Nintendo was right to classify
it as the first psychological thriller, it messes with your head. This is my favourite game on my gamecube. I show this off to my friends, not Mario, this is the gamecubes proudest moment (at the moment). This is nintendo's halo, or metal gear solid. Hopefully, this accomplished game will encourage developers to take the bravthe step that silicon knights did, and make a truly mature game.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.