GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Super Mario Allstars 2 - for GameCube!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 03/11/02 at 19:33
Regular
You've almost collected all those shines right? You've got six more blue coins to find, and Mario's wearing a Hawaian shirt. You've pretty much finished the game then. But you've still got that urge. The urge to play some more Mario gaming fun. Well ofcourse you have! Mario's games are usually so much fun to play that you'll either replay the whole thing again, or you'll play another Super Mario title. Well we all know how much space a Nintendo GameCube disc seems to have, so why doesn't Nintendo see what they can do with a Super Mario Allstars 2?

I know, I know! It's all of the old games, just like what Nintendo are doing with the Mario games on the Game Boy Advance, re-releasing the NES and SNES Mario games to try and make a bit more cash before they decide to do something new. But what if this were the ultimate Nintendo Super Mario disc? Would you want it then? I mean, proper re-makes, keep the 2D games 2D, but add little extras as incentives to make you want to play them. Add some minigames, more multiplayer modes, and make use of the Nintendo GameCube's power to update the games graphically, make them sound better, and make them run smoother. I know I certainly would get the disc.

Here's how it could work: Nintendo gets all the Super Mario titles since the beginning, right the way up until the end of the Nintendo 64's life, then sticks them into catagories. Below is how it could work: (if I miss any games out, let me know)

Catagory 1: Retro-Mario

This catagory would definately contain Mario's classics from the Arcade and NES.

Game 1: Donkey Kong
Remember Donkey Kong in the arcades and on the NES? It had four levels and seemed very tricky at the time. You had to get to the top of the stage, avoiding the barrels and the flames that Donkey Kong had hurled in your direction. All this to save a girl named Pauline (who eventually moved to London, gained a cockney accent, and now works in an East Eand laundrette). Well that seems a little short on it's own. But include the massive game full of extra levels and a unique style of play from the Game Boy cartridge, also named Donkey Kong, update the graphics to those of the Super Nintendo style, and you've got a nice big game that will last you many an hour! As a bonus, Nintendo could also include the Donkey Kong Junior game!

Game 2: Mario Bros
Do you remember Mario before he became 'Super'? Both him and his identical twin, Luigi, had to fight off many a koopa, fighter-fly and crab that managed to clog up the plumbage. They had a unique style of play where they hit the ground beneath the enemies to knock them upside down, then run into them to push them off the screen. Well what if this were given similar treatment to what I suggested for Donkey Kong, an update in the graphics, and maybe include the Super Mario Bros 3 battle mode as well as the co-operative mode for massive multiplayer mayhem? It would suit me in this Super Mario compilation!

Catagory 2: Super Mario Bros

This catagory, funnily enough, could contain all the games that had the title 'Super Mario Bros'. They were some of the best games of the whole series, and would probably be some of the most played in the compilation.

Game 1: Super Mario Bros
Well this game is what started the long series that made Mario games what they are today. A straight port from the Super NES would do a treat, and with better audios, like the style of the Super Mario levels on Super Smash Bros Melee, I'm sure the game would be brilliant! For those who like their multiplayer Mario gaming, how about having a split-screen co-operative mode? Ofcourse, they wouldn't be helping each other, just both doing the same level at the same time, allowing players to race each other, and not have to sit in wait for the other person to lose a life or complete a level.

Game 2: Super Mario Bros: The Lost Levels
In a similar remake to that of Super Mario Bros, this extended game would also have a co-operative mode and a musical upgrade. Providing it is a port of the Super NES version (as seen in Super Mario Allstars) then it wouldn't really need a graphical update.

Game 3: Super Mario Bros 2
We all know that this is probably the worst of the bunch. Based on Japanese game Doki Doki Panic, Mario is in his own dreams and has to save the dream world from large rats and frogs by throwing bombs and vegatables at them. This game could benefit from having a co-operative mode where both players help each other as they go along, playing as a different character each from the four choosable characters. An updated soundtrack could only be a good thing for this game, and if the backgrounds were a little more detailed, this game could seem a little more playable than it originally was.

Game 4: Super Mario Bros 3
Some people consider this to be the best 2D Super Mario platformer of the lot. For a remake of this game, I would change very little. Maybe make the music a little crisper and improve slightly on the sound effects, but providing it is a port of the Super NES version, there's no graphical changes that need doing on this one. It's also got the co-operative play ready, although you have to take turns, but if that was changed, could you really fight in the battle modes to steal each other's star/flower/mushroom cards?

Catagory 3: Super Mario Land

Catagory 3 would contain the handheld Mario games, although a few changes would need to be made.

Game 1: Super Mario Land
Said to be Super Mario Bros for the Game Boy, Super Mario Land was an instant handheld hit! It wasn't quite so big as the NES titles but it was still one hell of a fun game to play! The graphics would have to be changed one heck of a lot! The whole game would need to be enlarged, otherwise you'd still have trouble trying to make it out on a 48 inch widescreen TV! Maybe if it was improved to Super NES quality graphics, it would be a lot better, as long as the gameplay wasn't changed at all! This game is a little short for a co-operative mode though, unless ofcourse it was in the style of the Super Mario Bros game.

Game 2: Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins
This game could be re-made to look similar in design to Super Mario World, with a larger and more detailed map screen for selecting which level to play on next. The graphics would need to be updated, but keep to their unusual style, and ofcourse colour would need to be added. This game could also benefit from a multiplayer mode similar to that of Super Mario World, allowing players to take it in turns and share their lives between them, and with the additions of extra levels exclusive to this game, it would be even more fun playing this game a second time!

Game 3: Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land
Well this game was unique because of it's graphics, gameplay and soundtrack, so little would be needed to update this game but a splash of colour and a better feel for the big screen! Although only a Super Mario title by name, it is still part of the series, and Mario does make a brief appearance, but this game is too good to fade out into history like so many other lesser known classics. Again, the map could be made a little more detailed and a multiplayer mode added where the other player could use the new character, Waluigi, but other than that, this game would be perfect just ported onto the Gamecube disc!

Game 4: Mario and Yoshi
This is a puzzle game where blocks with characters in them fall from the top of the screen to the bottom, and Mario has to switch trays around to make the falling blocks match the ones already on the trays. A quality game that would extend the life of a Super Mario Allstars disc. Colour would be a great advantage to the game, but it wouldn't need much else.

Game 5: Dr. Mario
Another puzzle game to add to the list, but puzzle games can be good in compilations such as this, even if only to add a little variety to the disc. A port of the Nintendo 64 version would probably be best as no upgrading would be required.

Catagory 4: Super Mario Sports

Mario has starred in so many sports titles over the years that there's no way that they shouldn't be included in a Super Mario Allstars compilation.

Game 1: Super Mario Kart
If Super Mario Kart was changed at all - graphically, audiably or even the handling of the karts, it would not be the same game. Super Mario Kart had that hidden spark that made all other racers seem less than average. This game should stay as it is, even if ported to the GameCube.

Game 2: Mario Kart 64
Although not as favoured as the original Super NES title, this was still a quality game, one of the best of the Nintendo 64. A straight port is all that would be needed, including all the modes, characters, and tracks, there's nothing that would be needed to change.

Game 3: Mario Tennis
What a quality game this was on the Nintendo 64! It was simple to get a hang of the game, yet challenging when you got to the single player competitions. Although not a perfect Tennis simulator, it was extremely fun and would be great in a Super Mario Allstars compilation!

Catagory 5: The Mushroom Kingdom

This catagory would include all the adventures that are not already included above.

Game 1: Super Mario 64
Oh what a game! It was pure quality and revolutionalised platform games! In full 3D (except for all the 2D sprites that is) Mario gets to venture through all the secret areas of Princess Peach's castle in attempt to rescue her from the evil clutches of King Bowser Koopa. Nothing would need to be changed at all as the game is so similar to it's sequel, Super Mario Sunshine in the way it plays. The only difference is the soundtrack, which I prefer in Super Mario 64.

Game 2: Super Mario World
The first and only European release of a Super Mario Bros style platformer on the Super Nintendo was said to be one of the best games ever made! Starring Yoshi, Mario's friendly dinosaur, Mario has to, once again, rescue Princess Peach from Bowser. The only updates that would be needed would be the soundtrack as the game itself was brilliantly made on a machine which made games of this type look and feel great!

Game 3: Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
When Mario was a baby, being carried by the Stork to his mother with his twin brother Luigi, an evil Magikoopa named Kamek kidnapped Luigi whilst letting Mario plummet to what could have been a nasty death. Luckily, he dropped onto Yoshi's Island, a sacred place where dinosaurs still roam free. But due to the evil Baby Bowser's presence, the island has gone mad. So it's up to Yoshi to help Mario find his brother and get home to his mother. I don't think much could be done to improve on this game. It's made cartoony because it's set in Mario's perspective as a baby, and the music isn't too bad for 16-bit console-midi! Maybe an easy access multiplayer mode for all the mini-games could be added, but other than that, there's nothing much that could be done to this quality title.

Game 4: Super Mario RPG
Having never had a European release, due the the squabbling between Nintendo and Squaresoft at the time, I haven't managed to play on this supposedly brilliant title yet. So what better an opportunity to re-release it than on the GameCube in this compilation? I reckon this game alone would make this compilation a must by for hardcore Nintendo fans.

So how about it? Five catagories and eighteen games? I reckon it would be a big seller, and would last any gamer a lifetime! However, that could also be a good reason for Nintendo not to release a Mario Allstars title with this many games involved. How would Nintendo be able to sell any more games if all the GameCube owners are spending all their time on this massive compilation?

What do you think? That's eighteen games that would easily fit onto a GameCube disc! Do you think Nintendo should do it? Sega are doing something similar with the Sonic Mega Collection after all!
Tue 05/11/02 at 21:49
Regular
It's not met that missed 'Edge' - it's Edge that missed 'Edgy' and 'The Edge Man' as I'm know as throughout the locality (in the company I work for)
Tue 05/11/02 at 21:40
Regular
You've got all that copyrighted, and yet you seem to have missed 'Edge' :)

Before anyone thinks of stealing it, I have 'Hmmm...' trade marked.
Tue 05/11/02 at 21:37
Regular
Indeed I do.

Indeed, the 'Indeed' logo and anything related to the word 'Indeed', including The Oxford English Dictionary and Rogets Thesaurus, © Edgy Enterprises and affiliates, The Edge Man™ co. Ltd
Tue 05/11/02 at 21:17
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Indeed.

(Edgy, you got the copywrite on that word or what?)

;)
Tue 05/11/02 at 21:15
Regular
Mon 04/11/02 at 22:11
Regular
"Remember me?"
Edgy wrote:
> Untitled wrote:
> dont get out much do u edgy, dont u have anything better to do than
> write pages of rubbish?, you could have made all your points in
> about
> a quarter of the space
>
> Untitled, just to point out - I get out every day - I work for a
> living and hence am not on here as often. I bet you didn't even read
> the whole thing, and even if I could've put the main points in only a
> quarter of the amount...so what? It's up to me what I type, not you.
>
> Most others seem to think it's a good idea, so it can't be that bad.
> Anyway, I've not read anything of yours that's interested me yet, so
> you can hardly talk!

Ha!
Mon 04/11/02 at 20:34
Regular
Can you imagine if it were £40 for every game on the disc!!!

That would be £720!!!

However, I reckon £60 would be a fair price for it.
Mon 04/11/02 at 19:30
Regular
Strafex wrote:
> Great idea, technically possible (Mario 64, the biggest game is only
> 16mb) as they'll all fit on a Gamecube disk, but do you really think
> that Nintendo will pass down the chance to milk consumers by releasing
> these titles one at a time?
>
> Nope. I don't think so either! :-(

Heh, to be honest though, I wouldn't mind paying £50, or even more, for such a disk.
Mon 04/11/02 at 19:22
Regular
Untitled wrote:
> dont get out much do u edgy, dont u have anything better to do than
> write pages of rubbish?, you could have made all your points in about
> a quarter of the space

Untitled, just to point out - I get out every day - I work for a living and hence am not on here as often. I bet you didn't even read the whole thing, and even if I could've put the main points in only a quarter of the amount...so what? It's up to me what I type, not you.

Most others seem to think it's a good idea, so it can't be that bad. Anyway, I've not read anything of yours that's interested me yet, so you can hardly talk!
Mon 04/11/02 at 16:27
Regular
"Grammatical Watchdo"
This all sounds great, but think how much they'd charge!!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.