GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Has the future arrived to fast?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 20/03/02 at 22:02
Regular
It shocks me to think that less that 10 years ago, computers were no way near as advanced as today. You would be considered 'lucky' to have a PC in your house. And this PC would likely be a low spec 486 running at 66MHz. The internet was unheard of by the masses, and consoles such as the Mega Drive ruled the gaming niche.

Now back to today, In front of me right now is a 1.2GHz...thats 1200MHz for those unaware, PC with 512MB RAM. Downstairs we have an X-Box, and PS2, the 'top-of-the-range' consoles. And to show someone from the past your copy of Halo, albeit running at 30FPS, would likely make them hallucinate and convulse. Make no mistake in saying that the 21st century will not disappoint us.

If we have the technology to play such complex games, analyse such complex data, and carry out such 'space age' tasks as GPS navigation, what do we expect from the future? It has been murmured many times by people that we will have robots taking over our jobs. This cannot be potentially further from the truth. If robots took over, even, say, 10% of jobs - the economy would become a shambles.

Let's look at the positive side of computer technology advances. We already have robots doing jobs that would pose humans a great danger. Such as working with radioactive substance, or gamma rays. This technology, as in the past, will provide huge leaps in scientific knowledge. We have technology in space which is continuously taking pictures of distant planets, and beaming the information back down to earth. If we can do this now, who knows what the future will hold.

Now that I have hopefully grabbed your attention, we can move back to consider the future of console gaming. The X-Box has broken barriers in gaming technology. Comprising hard drives for updates, 733MHz processors, and amazing polygon shifting by the graphics card. Look at that jump, Mega Drive to X-Box in just under ten years. And as you may be aware, technology is increasing exponentially with time.

So in the next ten years time, who knows, we could be looking at a hologram image derived from a PlayStation 15! It is a daunting thought as to what will happen, but as with most things in life, we will have to wait.

Thankyou for taking time to read my opinions and piece on this subject, it is mostly appreciated. Franny
Wed 20/03/02 at 22:02
It shocks me to think that less that 10 years ago, computers were no way near as advanced as today. You would be considered 'lucky' to have a PC in your house. And this PC would likely be a low spec 486 running at 66MHz. The internet was unheard of by the masses, and consoles such as the Mega Drive ruled the gaming niche.

Now back to today, In front of me right now is a 1.2GHz...thats 1200MHz for those unaware, PC with 512MB RAM. Downstairs we have an X-Box, and PS2, the 'top-of-the-range' consoles. And to show someone from the past your copy of Halo, albeit running at 30FPS, would likely make them hallucinate and convulse. Make no mistake in saying that the 21st century will not disappoint us.

If we have the technology to play such complex games, analyse such complex data, and carry out such 'space age' tasks as GPS navigation, what do we expect from the future? It has been murmured many times by people that we will have robots taking over our jobs. This cannot be potentially further from the truth. If robots took over, even, say, 10% of jobs - the economy would become a shambles.

Let's look at the positive side of computer technology advances. We already have robots doing jobs that would pose humans a great danger. Such as working with radioactive substance, or gamma rays. This technology, as in the past, will provide huge leaps in scientific knowledge. We have technology in space which is continuously taking pictures of distant planets, and beaming the information back down to earth. If we can do this now, who knows what the future will hold.

Now that I have hopefully grabbed your attention, we can move back to consider the future of console gaming. The X-Box has broken barriers in gaming technology. Comprising hard drives for updates, 733MHz processors, and amazing polygon shifting by the graphics card. Look at that jump, Mega Drive to X-Box in just under ten years. And as you may be aware, technology is increasing exponentially with time.

So in the next ten years time, who knows, we could be looking at a hologram image derived from a PlayStation 15! It is a daunting thought as to what will happen, but as with most things in life, we will have to wait.

Thankyou for taking time to read my opinions and piece on this subject, it is mostly appreciated. Franny
Wed 20/03/02 at 22:36
"...Unicef pennies.."
I think you're right, few could have imagined back in the 80's,the state of technology in the games industry today, and consequently we can't begin to imagine what will happen in the next 10 to 20 years. Because no one can predict what advances will be made in other technologies, and what bearing they will have on games consoles.

eg. Many a science fiction story will prophesise about games/computers that link directly to your brain. This seems like a natural progression in the evolution of game evolvement and realism, but will it ever be possible?

And how more realistic can graphics get? Not much we think, but ask someone that 5 years ago and they would probably have said the same thing.
------------
Good post! I hope others read it, but don't be surprised if they don't :-(
Wed 20/03/02 at 22:39
I don't think we'll get to PS15 in 10 years. They can screw far mor money out of us by unveiling technology slowly.

What we are seeing now is nothing compared to what can actually be done. But why bother wowing the world with the latest and greatest that computing has to offer, when you can unveil what was put together years ago and we will still gawp and spend.

Its all about the moneys my son.
Thu 21/03/02 at 13:31
Thanks for the feedback. In response to your comment about computers linking directly to your brain Rainier, I believe the topic has been on the news many times over the last year or two. It is however a technology confined to the university research labs. Neurological control of gaming systems stems solely from electrical activity in the brain. Scientists have postulated a mechanism of decoding such activity and relating it to what the person wants to do. Consequently about a week ago I saw a scientists controlling a cursor using only his brain! Such modern science! I hear you all call! But is it really that impressive next to robotic technology and space science? I leave that to discussion.

I am the Tarrant, your comments are related to a well known concept known as 'Planned-Obsolescence'. I debated this topic with a friend of mine in the pub for the best part of an hour. 'Planned Obsolescence' is where manufacturers build their products to break down after a certain period of time. Meaning they can keep technology down to a minimum and sell new products to customers. However, we reached the conclusion that business competition is the only main determinant on what we see and what we don't.

Imagine Sony and Nintendo developed new consoles, would both manufacturers use dated technology in their machines? The answer has to be no. In the games market - making the faster, better looking, better sounding, console is key, and I believe that manufacturers will exploit modern technology to meet these goals.

But however this is a naive view, as the developers of the technology may well be screwing us over, but we will probably never know. Anyway, thanks all for your comments, see ya!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.