GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Cartridges. A sad death or the begginning of a new era."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 06/10/00 at 16:55
Regular
NEW TOPIC!!NEWTOPIC!!

I would say cartridges are a superb way to store game data on. It loads much faster than a disc and a holds a huge amount of data i it so some can save your games on it. Now then Sony, Sega and Nnitendo have opted for the new DVD discs so that means the cartridges will die away, but for me it will always be in the top of my head as i play my new powerful machine. Cartriges were the first ever thing to keep data in. The atari's, Game boy's, Mega Dive's and SNES had used them. They were costly in games development and it was harder for game developers to store all their data in the cartridge. CD's came in and proved to be much cheaper. This is almost like the Ferrari cars, they look the same on the outside and they are getting faster on the inside.
My point is storing games have never been easier.
The biggest step forward is how Nintendo has invented a HUGE! 1.5 gb DVD disc. A thing that huge could store 2 final fantasy's!
Sat 07/10/00 at 16:28
I didn't realise that I had written 3 letters, I thought the second one had been deleted so i wrote a 3rd. ok?
Sat 07/10/00 at 16:11
Regular
The 64DD has **evolved** into the hard drive for the gamecube. Makes saving games a tad simpler. It is a shame about the 64DD mind, and hopefully, for every wrong Nintendo make, they learn a good from it.
Sat 07/10/00 at 15:11
the 64DD might make a come back, so you can design your own versions of some favorite levels or make a new face for some old bosses, and even though we might have to wait until late next year for it, we will still have our GB Advance to play carts on, and it's not as if your N64 will run away and leave you when your G-Cube comes strutting through the door.
Sat 07/10/00 at 15:09
well it is a shame that carts are leaving Nintnedo, but if your lucky then you will be able to buy a 64DD, which was the extension to the N64 that we were supposed to get over two years ago but has ahd some redesigning since then, and might make a come back before the end of the N64, this system uses carts and will be programmable for making your own levels and bosses for your favorite games, so even though you'll be playing the latest game on your G-Cube you might just have enough time to redesign some facility on Goldneye before you dinner.
Sat 07/10/00 at 15:06
I don't think that many DVDs will be filled up, it would take around 8 years to fil la normall DVD as it's got the same storge as 27Cds! thats alot of space(can hold that much) but I think that most of it will be trailers or maybe a feature length film or just loads of boring FMv sequences, if they had the time they could make two seperate games(about the same thing) like Resident Evil 2, two story lines and maybe some four player deathmatchs like on the N64 or the PS with a multitap, with dedicated levels made especially for mulitplayer killings.
Fri 06/10/00 at 20:21
well that wraps it up nicely, now,let's all go and have some coffee...
Fri 06/10/00 at 17:33
Regular
1.5 gb is still pretty good. It's bigger than CD-Roms though, so you might not need to insert 5 CD's everytime you end on a CD.
Fri 06/10/00 at 17:29
Regular
This is what Nintendo should have done with the N64, but... ah well.
1.7 gig isn't that huge Lock, in fact, its pretty small compared to todays standards. Althought the disc looks lovely, Nintendo may run out of space very fast, and we'll end up having to "Insert disc 2 to continue." (Ah the joys of the Commodore 64...)
We seem to be going backwards, not forwards...
Fri 06/10/00 at 16:55
Regular
NEW TOPIC!!NEWTOPIC!!

I would say cartridges are a superb way to store game data on. It loads much faster than a disc and a holds a huge amount of data i it so some can save your games on it. Now then Sony, Sega and Nnitendo have opted for the new DVD discs so that means the cartridges will die away, but for me it will always be in the top of my head as i play my new powerful machine. Cartriges were the first ever thing to keep data in. The atari's, Game boy's, Mega Dive's and SNES had used them. They were costly in games development and it was harder for game developers to store all their data in the cartridge. CD's came in and proved to be much cheaper. This is almost like the Ferrari cars, they look the same on the outside and they are getting faster on the inside.
My point is storing games have never been easier.
The biggest step forward is how Nintendo has invented a HUGE! 1.5 gb DVD disc. A thing that huge could store 2 final fantasy's!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.