GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Gaming to Reality"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 20/03/02 at 17:08
Regular
Many game ideas come straight from life itself, sometimes with a bit of help from the imagination and the human psyche itself. Everybody knows this, and all gamers seem to love the new, exciting and different ideas coming straight from the HQ's of Nintendo, Rareware, and Squaresoft and co.
But what about doing things the other way round, vise-versa?? What would it be like if we could take ideas from games, and put them straight into reality!??

This is something I have been wondering for quite some time now. And i've also come to realise in this time that there are many ideas and game features that could become very succesfull and even usefull, for us in the gaming world!
Here are just a few:

Mario Kart - Obviously, anyone would love to be able to race around crazy tracks at top speeds, with turtle shells spinning around out of control!
It's already become a huge success as a game, and would DEFINITLEY be big in real life!
The closest thing we have to this now is probably something like little go-kart races against your mates, or even the Grand Prix with it's regular crashes and fast, furious action. Nothing comes close to such an brilliant idea!
But how could we ensure the safety of the 8 racers??
Would padding on the knees and elbows really be enough to protect someone from a blue-spiky shell or bomb!???

First Person Shooters - Technically, you can enjoy a good FPS with your mates, but only in the form of a multiplayer or on-line game.
Paintballing is quite similar to that in reality, but without all the blood, guts and headshots, it's just not the same.
There is a chance that this could become reality, if and when VR (Virtual Reality) is finally introduced to mankind. You could scan in yourself and your own maps and weapons, and play against your mates just like it was all real, but without all the pain and suffering!
Downsides are that it would probably cost more than the average fortune, and even with the current increasing rate of technology, it's still a long way away.

RPG-Adventure - Anyone who is anything to do with gaming would not turn down the chance to become a hero and go on a long, tough and challenging quest to save the world as we know it. This would be top of the '10 things to do before I die' list for every RPG-Adventure game fan!
All Zelda fans would jump at the chance to become Link and learn all his cool moves and see the world through his eyes!
And the same applies to all other RPG games, like Final Fantasy, and even Twinsen in my PC favourite 'Little Big Adventure'!
The only problem would be setting this all into reality.
It could be done the hard way, and we could abbandone mountains and villages, leaving mutated rats and other strange, science-lab creatures to roam free, or once again, Virtual Reality could be the answer! It could easily be set out like an RPG game in this way, and it'd anything's better than the VR game Sam plays in 'Sam & Max' on the PC!!
Again, it's another possibility with VR, but it could also cost a bomb to set-up and run.

I know that these are only 3 ideas, but there could be many more out there, due to the wide range of games out there in today's market!
I also think it's highly unlikely that anyone would set up a GTA 3 reality, where you could go around causing mayhem at your own free will!
But to get good ideas you have to look at the good games.
The ones with most success amongst gamers would also have a similar effect in reality.

And I also know that these ideas and many other would be almost impossible to put together now, with the current level of technology, but it just has to be considered as an interesting idea for the distant future!
Could this be the way to get kids away from their computers!!???
Instead of just sitting there brain-dead, they could be out there doing it for themselves, achieving higher self-esteem, while also getting some exercise!

What do you think about all this???
Fri 22/03/02 at 17:36
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Yeah, imagine speeding through Area 51 in a Kart, armed with Green Shells!! Lol! :D

And I don't know why I never thought of Quasars and laser gunes for FPS's, and not just paintballing!
I love quasars, but I was truly pants at them and shot everyone I saw! Yep, even more of my own team than the opposition!! But it would still be great and enjoyable to be able to have a Half-Life/Perfect Dark style laser gun game! And maybe karts could be envolved too...
Wed 20/03/02 at 21:32
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Microchips wrote:
> Good post. If you think about it, you could blend PD and Mario kart together?
> Reason? To pop a cap into toad's mushroom-for-a-head and shut his useless
> whining. On the other hand, you could escape from the streets of Chicago in a
> go-kart, whilst being chased by about 10 datadyne guards.

---

LOL!

That'd be quite funny actually.
Wed 20/03/02 at 21:15
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Good post. If you think about it, you could blend PD and Mario kart together? Reason? To pop a cap into toad's mushroom-for-a-head and shut his useless whining. On the other hand, you could escape from the streets of Chicago in a go-kart, whilst being chased by about 10 datadyne guards.
Wed 20/03/02 at 21:10
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Now I would have to admit, Mario Kart in real life would rule! But you'd all have to suffer as I went on my Lighting Bolt spree and killed you all as you went over a ramp.

:-)

I agree with what RM18 said about Perfect Dark though, as I wouldn't really like to go around killing people, even if it was light guns or something. And because you said it was going to be reality, I presume you were talking about real guns.

:D

Nice post though.
Wed 20/03/02 at 18:16
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Yeah, and replace it with the one from Royal Raceway!!! :D
Wed 20/03/02 at 18:12
Regular
Do Mario Kart, and if you recreate the tracks of the N64 version please, please, take that jump away from Wario's Satdium!!!
Wed 20/03/02 at 18:10
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Thanks. I knew that the Mario Kart idea would be liked!
Like I said, you just wouldn't say no!
I think it's also the most likely and possible idea of the ones I suggested. And the hardest parts would be getting all the weapons to work, and designing the tracks correctly.

But there certainly be no problem getting 8 THOUSAND people to participate!!
Wed 20/03/02 at 18:03
Regular
excellent idea, I'd love to have real life Mario Kart, not sure about reality Perfect Dark though!
Wed 20/03/02 at 17:08
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Many game ideas come straight from life itself, sometimes with a bit of help from the imagination and the human psyche itself. Everybody knows this, and all gamers seem to love the new, exciting and different ideas coming straight from the HQ's of Nintendo, Rareware, and Squaresoft and co.
But what about doing things the other way round, vise-versa?? What would it be like if we could take ideas from games, and put them straight into reality!??

This is something I have been wondering for quite some time now. And i've also come to realise in this time that there are many ideas and game features that could become very succesfull and even usefull, for us in the gaming world!
Here are just a few:

Mario Kart - Obviously, anyone would love to be able to race around crazy tracks at top speeds, with turtle shells spinning around out of control!
It's already become a huge success as a game, and would DEFINITLEY be big in real life!
The closest thing we have to this now is probably something like little go-kart races against your mates, or even the Grand Prix with it's regular crashes and fast, furious action. Nothing comes close to such an brilliant idea!
But how could we ensure the safety of the 8 racers??
Would padding on the knees and elbows really be enough to protect someone from a blue-spiky shell or bomb!???

First Person Shooters - Technically, you can enjoy a good FPS with your mates, but only in the form of a multiplayer or on-line game.
Paintballing is quite similar to that in reality, but without all the blood, guts and headshots, it's just not the same.
There is a chance that this could become reality, if and when VR (Virtual Reality) is finally introduced to mankind. You could scan in yourself and your own maps and weapons, and play against your mates just like it was all real, but without all the pain and suffering!
Downsides are that it would probably cost more than the average fortune, and even with the current increasing rate of technology, it's still a long way away.

RPG-Adventure - Anyone who is anything to do with gaming would not turn down the chance to become a hero and go on a long, tough and challenging quest to save the world as we know it. This would be top of the '10 things to do before I die' list for every RPG-Adventure game fan!
All Zelda fans would jump at the chance to become Link and learn all his cool moves and see the world through his eyes!
And the same applies to all other RPG games, like Final Fantasy, and even Twinsen in my PC favourite 'Little Big Adventure'!
The only problem would be setting this all into reality.
It could be done the hard way, and we could abbandone mountains and villages, leaving mutated rats and other strange, science-lab creatures to roam free, or once again, Virtual Reality could be the answer! It could easily be set out like an RPG game in this way, and it'd anything's better than the VR game Sam plays in 'Sam & Max' on the PC!!
Again, it's another possibility with VR, but it could also cost a bomb to set-up and run.

I know that these are only 3 ideas, but there could be many more out there, due to the wide range of games out there in today's market!
I also think it's highly unlikely that anyone would set up a GTA 3 reality, where you could go around causing mayhem at your own free will!
But to get good ideas you have to look at the good games.
The ones with most success amongst gamers would also have a similar effect in reality.

And I also know that these ideas and many other would be almost impossible to put together now, with the current level of technology, but it just has to be considered as an interesting idea for the distant future!
Could this be the way to get kids away from their computers!!???
Instead of just sitting there brain-dead, they could be out there doing it for themselves, achieving higher self-esteem, while also getting some exercise!

What do you think about all this???

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.