GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"DVD's - Good or Evil?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 20/03/02 at 16:29
Regular
I was in town the other day and wondered into a certain music/video store. I was wondering around, not really looking for anything in particular, (a dangerous habit I know), and entered the DVD section. Damn. Saw it. Too late now. You know what's gonna ahppen. You're gonna wonder around for about 10 minutes, then come back, pick up Memento and wonder over to the counter, give them your card and BANG there goes more of your student loan.

BUT I CAN'T HELP IT!! What is it about DVD's that makes you buy them? Continuously. I never used to buy videos, so why DVD's? I've been buying DVD's for about two years now, and I have about 35 I reckon. It's a nice collection, I'm sure many of you have more, but it is growing all the time, and there are still loads that I want. I have some v. good films such as High Fidelity, Fight Club, Memento. I also have some "rubbish" films like Coyote Ugly, Ace Ventura, etc. which I watch when I don't want to think too hard.

I'm beginning to wonder whether DVD's have subliminal messages or something. I wonder into shops with absolutely no intention of buying anything, I'll be with someone else who wants something. But I always end up walking out having bought something. I need a restraining order taken out on me or something like that!

So what is it about DVD's? Is it the extras? Maybe. I do like watching the extras on some films. Especially the cool special effects films like Matrix, Star Wars, T2 etc. But a lot of my films haven't got any extras - Grosse Point Blank is one of my favourite DVD's and hasn't got anything (unless you count chapter access, which I don't). I do look for good extras on a film, but just because there aren't any doesn't seem to stop me from buying.

Is it picture quality? Probably not. I watch my DVD's on a PC with a flat screen monitor, not exactly like being in a cinema is it?

Suppose it must be the films then! I just like films. Oh well!

So. Does anyone else have this illness? Or can someone please shed some light on my problem? I'm not sure if I want a cure, that would mean missing out on too many good films, but I would like to know if any one else is buying more DVD's than are good for them!
Fri 22/03/02 at 15:22
"MMMMM, Chicken"
I to am addicted to dvd's, my theory for why you HAVE to buy them when you see them is that you wanted the films before, but knew dvd was coming so you waited, and now theyre here theres no excuses NOT to buy them.
Thu 21/03/02 at 19:02
Regular
"That's right!"
I always watch docus, deleted scenes, commentry (learnt a lot about film making by listening to this on all my DVDs)

Basically everything you can watch which is interesting. I never bother with the photos or reading the scripts or owt
Thu 21/03/02 at 18:54
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
DVDs are good. Very good. But I do spend too much money on them.

I remember going to Bluewater for the first time and coming home the same day with 12 DVDs!!

Went a bit mad in Jakarta. It was 3 for 45 quid and I hadn't discovered how much cheaper it was to buy online so I bought 9 DVDs in there, and then 3 in HMV and Virgin. They weren't all mine as my dad and brother bought a few, but I think 5 of them were mine.

I used to watch all the extras, but not anymore. I never tend to bother with the documentaries or making ofs any more. Just deleted scenes, trailers and commentaries.

Awaiting 2 DVDs at the moment. A.I should arrive tomorrow and I'm waiting for Last of the Mohicans to be posted. Plus, I'm pondering over Pay it Forward for a tenner. Not sure about it though.
Thu 21/03/02 at 17:54
Regular
"allardini's tagline"
I know what you mean. I've had a Dvd player 2 weeks and already have 7 dvds! Partly coz of GAD, though.....
Thu 21/03/02 at 16:24
Regular
"I love Dave music"
Good to know I'm not the only one! And I wondered whether anyone else didn't watch all the extras. I don't think I've even looked at the second T2 disc yet!
Wed 20/03/02 at 23:17
Regular
"That's right!"
Only had the DVD player since Christmas and already we have 15 films. Granted, Robocop 1, 2 and 3 and Die Hard 1 and 2 were won by me, but almost all the others I've bought with my own money

Saw The Thing the other day, which I already have on video, and I bought it. Why? Because it was only £12.99, I love the film, and the DVD has extras! Crazy! Infact I have Die Hard 1 and 2 and Robocop 1 and 3 on video too, and I got them anyway

I have Dawn Of The Dead on video, bought it on DVD, I have Face/Off on video, now we've got it on DVD

Crazy
Wed 20/03/02 at 21:51
Regular
"I am Bumf Ucked"
DVDs rock.

I usually listen to commentery tracks, because how the film was made is always interesting to me. Deleted scenes also, especially on the 12/15 rated films.
Wed 20/03/02 at 21:32
Regular
"Here I am - TAKE ME"
I did watch the extras on the first few I got, but the novelty soon died off, and I have too many to watch now (check out the post your DVD collection thread - ooh how I love showing off!)
Wed 20/03/02 at 21:26
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
I know, I've only ever watched extras on X Men, X Files Season 1, Jurassic Park 3 And Bring It On. Thats leaves about 120 odd I've never bothered to look at the extras for.

I suffer from the "buying DVD2 syndrome. With VHS I bought Close Encounters, Jurassic Park, Independence Day and every X Files tape there is/was. DVD ? I've ran out of space to keep them and I've only watched 3/4 of them ! Why do DVDs just seem so irresistible ???
Wed 20/03/02 at 21:20
Regular
"Here I am - TAKE ME"
I wish I knew why I loved dvds so much, I'm a real sucker for anything with the words "Collectors Edition" on it. Funny thing is though, I rarely ever watch ANY of the extras on them. Dammit, must be something wrong with me

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.