GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Crysis"

The "PC Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Crysis'.
Tue 20/11/07 at 19:46
Regular
"Captain to you."
I know this should probably be in the review section but i'm hoping here it might get people talking about it.

Crysis, is one of those games that a fair few people were looking forward to. Years ago Farcry came out and showed all of us who can't afford it how tropical islands look, well how they look if they were overrun with mercenaries and monsters.

Crysis takes you to another tropical island, palm trees, clear waters an sandy beaches, unfortunately you're not there for a holiday, you're there with your team of superpowered marines to see what some naughty Koreans are up to and rescue some hostages.

When i say superpowered, you can't fly, you can't run faster than a speeding train and you can't throw cars around like they are cardboard boxes. You have a Nanosuit, this through the magic of science allows you to enhance abilities. The only draw back is that the suit can only does these while it has power and each ability drains it at a different rate.

Strength: This allows you to throw objects further and harder, you also can melee hit people or throw them. The good thing about Strength is that it doesn't just improve your arms, it also improves your legs to give you the skill to jump about 15 feet, this conveniently is just right to allow you to jump up on about every building on the island. This only reduces your power bar when you hit or throw something.

Speed: This as you would assume allows you to move faster, at a guess it must be 3-4 times your normal movement. It makes a huge difference to fights as you can confuse and evade just about anything, moving faster than any enemy can adjust to giving you a serious edge. Your basic speed is increased a fair bit without a drain on your power bar, but if you run you'll move at the far more advanced speed and it will drain your power in under 2 seconds.

Armour: This is probably the power you will use the most, this allows your power bar to function as a second health bar while you have energy in your bar your main health will never reduce.

Cloak: This is a very handy ability, you can turn invisible. The main drawback is that your power drains the more you move. if you stay still you can be invisible for a fairly long time, but if you move at normal or running speed you'll drain the bar very quickly. Although you are Invisible, it's note perfect, if an enemy gets within 3-4 feet of you while cloaked they can often spot you and will alert other enemies to your location or just start firing at you.

The main attraction to this game for a lot of people is how it looks, and it does look stunning. Unfortunately to get the quality that you see in screenshots you need one hell of a PC to get a decent frame rate at the same time. I personally ran the majority of the game on Very High settings but this is because i got pretty much the same low frame rate on what ever settings i used due to my set up.

Please note that although i have tried not to include anything that will spoil any elements of the game, but some screenshots include areas from later in the game.

Screenshot 1
Screenshot 2
Screenshot 3
Screenshot 4

Although it looks great, i just didn't get the experience i did from Call Of Duty 4. The overall story to Crysis doesn't leave you wanting more in the same way, and as anyone who keeps up with gaming news knows, crysis is the first part of a trilogy. I personally just hope that they bring them out quick as i don't think a yearly release will help sales as unfortunately crysis is a pretty forgettable game as i expect a lot of people would agree, it's just farcry with superpowers.

I have plenty more screenshots but many of them would probably spoil some parts of the game.
Sun 27/01/08 at 18:37
Regular
"Author of Pain"
LOL That review is awesome!
Fri 25/01/08 at 20:02
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
No problem Dragonlance. Every Wednesday without fail I'm logging on to see what game he does next.

He's blunt but fair. He gets it spot on 90% of the time as well.

I think pb gave me the original tip-off on him during the Halo 3 debate a few months ago, but always willing to pass on his work to a new viewer.
Thu 24/01/08 at 20:30
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Thanks hippyman, just got to say - Crowshaw rocks - thanks for the introduction!
Mon 21/01/08 at 09:20
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Crowshaw has another review on it. Love this guy, brutal but honest. Quite often he has thrown my 10/10 score out of the window and made me replace my score with an 8 or 9.

Crysis Review

Apologies for his language though :(
Sun 20/01/08 at 13:59
Regular
"you've got a beard"
nice specs chippxero, i`m going quad core on my next build as well.

how does it run 3d software?
Sat 19/01/08 at 15:16
Regular
Im on Crysis and find it plays very well and im stuck, im at the docks and have blown up the Cruiser and blasted the Helo and all the bad guys, now im supposed to meet the someone at the cave tunnel at the end of the railway track and have fun in a tank. Cant find anything. Anyone HELP PLEASE.
Wed 09/01/08 at 20:52
Regular
"Captain to you."
I've been playing this through again as i have undergone a bit of an upgrade.

Intel Quad 6600
2gig DDR2 800MHz
Asus p5n32-3 sli mother board

Crysis still isn't running over 30fps on very high, but does stay solidly above 20 and it's rare for it to drop too much, which seems smooth even in heavy physics explosions.

i'm enjoying it a fair bit even though normally i'd never play a game through again so close to when i last finished it. I think the upgrade has probably made the biggest difference as Crysis is the one game that really taxed my system on very high settings and it's a genuine pleasure to play it through looking so pretty and at a smooth frame rate.
Fri 04/01/08 at 07:12
Regular
"the Great"
Ive played through a few games recently including, cod4, the simpsons game, kane and lynch, strangle hold and crysis

crysis is a master piece

my system played it well
core2duo e6300 clocked to 2.33ghz and 8800gts 320mb clocked at 615/1860

runs well through out the game on medium setting with the res pushed to 1680x1050 i also pushed shader and post processing to max but the rest were medium settings. it did struggle at the end of the game and in order to play smoothly i had to frop all settings to medium and the res to 1024x768

amazing game tho will proberbly play through it again when i install vista just to see how much better it is with dx10

cod4 was also gr8 would recommend both

my system was able to play cod4 at max settings all the way to the end no probs
Thu 22/11/07 at 18:38
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
According to Wired2Fire, the thermal paste was being fried due to a slight lift of the chip - probably due to transit. Ironic that Crysis was the game that uncovered the flaw!
Wed 21/11/07 at 23:00
Regular
"Captain to you."
My system isn't top of the line and is an xp machine, in fact only my graphics card is any good (8800GTX), my cpu is very average these days (64bit 4000+). I plan to go to a Quad 6600 sometime in the new year, it's really when ever i can be bothered to order it really or if i should wait and see if i can get something better.

Overheating is probably more a hardware issue than a crysis one, maybe just a loose connection on the CPU or he needs something drawing more of the heat off the graphics cards as they do run pretty hot even just in windows. 5 fans seems excessive really and probably with the sli cards is taxing the PSU a fair bit, but i guess it will all be down to placement of the fans.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.