GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Just my opinion....."

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 20/03/02 at 10:31
Regular
I am getting sick and tired of every other post pathetically trying to have legitimacy by adding the cliche "It's just my opinion...". Please understand that everything you say is 'just your opinion' and by stating it you immediately make what you are saying sound feeble. Firstly, if you've got something to say, just say it.
People are far more likely to enter into a discussion if the original post shows some sort of passion/belief. Whether you say it is just an opinion or not, the rest of the human race will make up their own minds if they agree or disagree. The basic premise for a discussion is two opposing viewpoints and by saying 'it's just my opinion' aren't you just looking for weak 'likeminded' souls to agree with you and make you feel better?
Surely the whole point of this forum is to provoke SOME intelligent discussion of the way games are going etc.
For instance, there seems to have been little discussion of MGS2 other than ....I like it its my opinion....I don't like it its my opinion....pah. WHY do you like it or dislike it? By entering in to a debate we learn more about each other, about what works in games, what doesn't and ultimately what games should be like etc.
Believe in what you say.....If you love Rez no-one can stop you loving it....but you might be able to pass it on to someone else.....ie discussion provokes learning and understanding in everyone who takes part.
Do you see?
:0)
Wed 20/03/02 at 10:31
Regular
"bitterly jaded ;]"
I am getting sick and tired of every other post pathetically trying to have legitimacy by adding the cliche "It's just my opinion...". Please understand that everything you say is 'just your opinion' and by stating it you immediately make what you are saying sound feeble. Firstly, if you've got something to say, just say it.
People are far more likely to enter into a discussion if the original post shows some sort of passion/belief. Whether you say it is just an opinion or not, the rest of the human race will make up their own minds if they agree or disagree. The basic premise for a discussion is two opposing viewpoints and by saying 'it's just my opinion' aren't you just looking for weak 'likeminded' souls to agree with you and make you feel better?
Surely the whole point of this forum is to provoke SOME intelligent discussion of the way games are going etc.
For instance, there seems to have been little discussion of MGS2 other than ....I like it its my opinion....I don't like it its my opinion....pah. WHY do you like it or dislike it? By entering in to a debate we learn more about each other, about what works in games, what doesn't and ultimately what games should be like etc.
Believe in what you say.....If you love Rez no-one can stop you loving it....but you might be able to pass it on to someone else.....ie discussion provokes learning and understanding in everyone who takes part.
Do you see?
:0)
Wed 20/03/02 at 10:39
Regular
"  "
I agree but then again thats just my opinion.
Wed 20/03/02 at 10:44
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
I see what you are saying but would like to point out that this is precisely what alot of the argument in the forum has been about recently.

There are some goods post in here but finding them amongst the rubbish is getting harder. The good posters very rarely use the just my opinion answer because they rightly believe what they are writing.
Wed 20/03/02 at 10:45
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
Na†ßu© wrote:
> I agree but then again thats just my opinion.

Not predictable at all hey Nat...
Wed 20/03/02 at 11:53
"High polygon count"
mothballed wrote:
> I am getting sick and tired of every other post pathetically trying to have
> legitimacy by adding the cliche "It's just my opinion...". Please
> understand that everything you say is 'just your opinion' and by stating it you
> immediately make what you are saying sound feeble.

I agree, but you also need to keep in mind that many on the forums don't seem to understand that, so you sometimes need to reinforce the fact.

For example, if I say "The Xbox launch line-up is very average", someone will say "no it isn't, it's got Halo and PGR - you're talking rubbish".

But I'm not talking rubbish. It's just my opinion, but they seem to read it as if I'm saying "The Xbox launch line-up is average. I have spoken, thus it is true."

Anything I post is my opinion - unless of course I'm stating factual information. If people can't handle it as such, then they have a problem. They can disagree and discuss (much like myself and Your Honour), that's fine - but to tell someone they're wrong simply because you disagree is arrogant and conceited; and if people think like that, they have no business being on a *discussion* forum.

Of course, that's just my opinion.

(Sorry, but you're just asking for that!)
Wed 20/03/02 at 11:58
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
In my opinion I consider your's to have been a very well considered and presented argument Wookiee.

Thank you for that..
Wed 20/03/02 at 12:33
Regular
Without the phrase 'its only my opinion' the whole of humanity and its society would turn into chaos and mayhem.
But thats only my opinion.
Wed 20/03/02 at 12:35
Regular
Without the phrase 'its only my opinion' the whole of humanity and its society would turn into chaos and mayhem.
Wed 20/03/02 at 12:36
Regular
Wed 20/03/02 at 12:37
Regular
this computer has gone crazy, sorry about that

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.