GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Pre-release game hype and the games which have lived up to it"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 25/05/06 at 09:29
Regular
More often than not games are hyped beyond what they actually deliver but on rare occassions the game actually does what it says on the box.

One of these games that spring to mind is 'Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver' for the PSone. I remember reading about it in OPSM about 10 years ago where the article promised stuff like 'no loading, everything will stream right off the cd' and 'you can pick up a spear, walk with it through several locations, drop it on the floor, save and quit and the next time you boot the game the same spear will be on the exact same spot you left it'. Both those things was something unheard of at the time and I really couldn't believe what I was reading.

I was afraid that the game would require all 15 blocks on my memory card if it was supposed to save where all items were dropped in game (it turned out to use 3 blocks, phew) and the streaming really worked.

To this day I think that Soul Reaver is the only game that lived up to my expectations based on pretty fantastic pre-hyping.
Thu 20/07/06 at 20:59
Regular
"with a blunt knife"
It's going back a while but the last game that truly lived up to the hype for me was Perfect Dark for the N64. Still play it occasionally and I still reckon it's one of the best games ever. Even though it's promises have been surpassed today, they were amazing for the day. Vaguely intelligent enemies, 8 bots in multiplayer, great improvement graphics-wise from Goldeneye and they even gave a NPC that you didn't instantly want to kill, Elvis.
Tue 18/07/06 at 21:15
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
I just down.. er, bought it yesterday. I like it.
Tue 18/07/06 at 20:36
Regular
Sims 2. That game is great. Forsome strange reason I like the console version better.
Tue 18/07/06 at 09:17
"possibly impossible"
Would be good. Best bits of all the Burnout games put together.

Better still would be to make it a 360 game with the enhanced graphics and Xbox Live support. That would really make it the best Burnout game yet...
Tue 18/07/06 at 09:12
Regular
"Mooching around"
I've heard a lot of good reports on that game, maybe they should what they did with LC: Stories, and turn it PS2?
Tue 18/07/06 at 09:09
"possibly impossible"
Cruciatum Fixative wrote:
> Burnout: Revenge.
>
> Still spoke in various game magasines to be the best arcade
> racer out. I have it. It sucks.
>
> Burnout 3 is still my favourite, Revenge is just far too
> stupid... Having a F1 car that can ram other traffic out of its
> way? Please.

Yeah, though I did like Burnout Revenge, 3 was indeed better. The 360 version does improve on the game though.

Burnout Legends on PSP though, that's pretty much perfect...
Tue 18/07/06 at 08:57
Regular
"Mooching around"
Well said, here here.
Tue 18/07/06 at 00:39
Regular
"The definitive tag"
Bob_The_Moose wrote:
> Really, why?
> I thought SA was much better than VC.
> After VC came out I promised not to buy another GTA game (not
> because I didn't like it, but because I thought they would get
> too samey) but I gave in and I loved it. Actually I reinstalled
> it a few weeks ago.

For me, the main appeal of the GTA series was always the free-roaming/just do whatever the hell you want element. By the time San Andreas came out, this had completely lost its appeal. This was down to my many hundreds of hours on GTA III and Vice City + other games copying GTA such as The Getaway and True Crime, and even the Driver series borrowed from Rockstar's creation. The new interesting features of SA did compensate a little, but not enough, and overall I enjoyed Vice City and GTA III a lot more.

The map on San Andreas was too sparse as well. There were great big areas where nothing happened. It became such a chore to drive from one city to another. It pushed the PS2 too far as well. The draw distance was awful and the visuals were generally very poor.

Don't get me wrong. I like San Andreas, it's a great game. But it hasn't given me anywhere near the amount of joy and fun that Vice City did and thus didn't lived up to my expectations.
Tue 18/07/06 at 00:09
Regular
"Mooching around"
Lol, just SA. I loved VC and LC, I thought that SA was too big, and you couldn't really fit into it.

Saying that, I loved the open-ended play of the game, climbing that big mountain and jumping off in a camper van is always fun :-D
Tue 18/07/06 at 00:06
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
Yeah, well, some people just suck :p

Do you mean VC or SA? Or GTA in general?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.