GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"XBox - an opinion."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 19/03/02 at 00:55
Regular
Well, I've had my XBox for approximately 4 hours now (as I start to write this), and what do I think?

Well, let's start with the basics.

I bought the Microsoft Gamer Bundle Pack Thing from SR Egham after work. This means I got: 1 XBox with Controller. 1 Extra Controller. 1 Copy Halo. 1 Copy Project Gotham Racing. = £399.99. I also got a DVD kit thing, but haven't watched any DVD's yet.

Size:

Yes, it is larger than a PS2. It's deeper than a PS2, and slightly wider, and slightly taller. But it's not huge. I was slightly worried, from pictures I'd seen, that the top had a bit of a curve to it, but it's flat, so I can store my DreamCast on top, which is nice.

It's also reasonably heavy, but as the only time you'll have to carry it is from the shop to your car, then from the car to your house, it shouldn't cause too much of a problem.

Controller:

Yes, it is large, but for me that's not a problem, but it may be an issue for people with smaller hands. I liked the DreamCast pad, and this is similar. When I first got my PS2 I hated the pad, it took me ages to remember where the buttons were, and I didn't like the fact that the analogue sticks were to the side of, instead of above, the digital pad - which is how it is on the DC and XBox pad.

Suffice to say, if you've owned a PSX and/or a PS2 and you're used to the pad, it WILL take some getting used to. If you liked the DC pad, you should have no problems.

I've just been playing my XBox for 4 hours straight, and I have no problems with my hands at all.

My first experience:

I got the XBox home, and I set it up quickly, then stopped. What if it's rubbish? What if I've just wasted over £400? What if I really really regret buying it? I stopped myself thinking like that, and turned it on, with no game in.

Initially a green main menu screen comes up, with the three options MEMORY, MUSIC and SETTINGS. They're all pretty obvious, but I'll run through them briefly. Memory allows you to see how much space you have on the HDD and memory card, and delete unwanted save files etc.

MUSIC menu lets you play music CD's, or copy them to .MP3 format for playing in-game. Settings lets you set stuff like clock, calender, stereo/mono sound etc etc. All the usual stuff. It's all done in smooth, clear, obvious menu's, although they are rather green, perhaps too green for some peoples taste.

To be fair though, you won't be spending much time looking at them. Out of curiosity I ripped a CD to listen to in-game, it was a full 80 minute CD and it took (I didn't time it BTW) in the region of 10-15 mins. So I went and made a sandwich while it was doing that.

The Games:

Ok, first game I played was PGR. I won't review the whole game here, for obvious reasons. Suffice to say the graphics are NOT as good as GT3, but then what is? To be fair, PGR is a launch title and GT3 wasn't. If you compared PGR with Ridge Racer V, PGR would win hands down.

PGR's handling is not as realistic as GT3's, which is good in my view, as GT3 was TOO realistic for my taste. PGR has handling that is, at a guess, 65% realistic, which is a good mixture in my opinion.

Anyone who is familiar with M:SR on the DreamCast will be right at home, although the modes of play are slightly different, the handling and Kudos system are much the same.

An added bonus of PGR is the ability to play music tracks that you've copied onto the HDD. This is not amazingly handy, as you can always turn the volume of the telly down and play a CD normally if you want, but it's one of a number of nice little touches that just help to make the game as great as it is.

To sum up, if you thought GT3 was too simulation like, chances are you'll like this. There's a reasonbly steep learning curve if you've not played M:SR at all, but if you have played and liked M:SR, you'll love PGR.

Second game, Halo:

I was wary of playing this. I had heard all the hype, and I was readying myself for a let down. But it didn't let down. The controls were a little difficult to get used to, probably not helped by the fact that I haven't played an FPS on a console for AGES.

The mood was set with the music to the main menu, a haunting kind of latin tune, almost something you would expect to hear a load of monks singing at a ceremony. Then the proper game music kicks in, but the monk type stuff does it's job certainly, setting the mood and getting you ready for the game ahead.

Again, I won't do a full blown review of the game here.

I've only done the first two levels, and haven't played any multiplayer, but I can see that this is a good game. Whether it's really a 10/10 game remains to be seen. The graphics are great, as are the sound effects. The controls are pretty spot on, when you get used to them. Although the handling of the Warthog is a right git!

How this compares to other FPS's available at the moment, I don't know. The last FPS I played was UT, and I haven't had my hands on anything since.

It IS engrossing, I plaed through the first two levels, and was about to start the third when I realised I was absolutely starving, so I was pretty hooked.

Normally in games like this, I wander around like a leper hardly able to find the most obvious switch but not here, it's reasonble free-roaming in that you can walk or drive and take which ever route you want, but you never feel completely lost with no idea what to do.

The AI is pretty funky. The monsties dodge and duck for cover etc. And your CPU controlled team mates act pretty intelligently as well.

So, should you buy an XBox?

Well, in my view, yes. I'm glad that I'm selling my PS2 and glad that I bought myself an XBox.

But as for you? Well, that's your choice. But if you like playing PC style games, without having to sit at a PC (maybe because you sit at a desk all day at work or college and you hate the idea of doing the same all evening as well), then you'll be sorted here.

If, like me, you realised that all the Sony Franchises (GT3, MGS2, FFX etc) didn't really float your boat, then it may be worht you getting one to replace your PS2. All the major multiplatform games are coming to XBox - GTA3, Tonty Hawks, FIFA, SSX Tricky, F1 2002 etc. As well as PC like games - Geoff Crammonds GP4 is confirmed, as is Championship Manager. So there is a wide range of games.

If you like playing your GT3's etc, then stick with PS2, as they'll never appear on XBox! So unless you can afford both, it's best to stick with what you've got.

What I've put here will hopefully help people decide which way to go. If you're 99% sure to get an XBox, this may just be that last 1% you need to go out and get it.

If you're 99% sure you want to keep your PS2, this may have confirmed that for you.

However, if you're still REALLY unsure, please DON'T go and buy and the strength of what I've written here. My opinions could be completely differen to yours. If you're really unsure, just go and play one, as that's the only way you'll decided.

Suffice to say, I've just been playing on my XBox for 4 hours straight. The last time I played for that long when me and three mates played multiplayer BomberMan on the SNES all day long.
Wed 20/03/02 at 12:04
Regular
Rallisport Challenge is supposed to have more arcadey style handling. It's NOT a proper simulation.

Have a look at some reviews of it before you dismiss it completely.

Oh, and can you now see why I was talking up PGR and M:SR so much before? They are damn fun games. And it feels SO satisfying to pull of a huge combo and get the target number of Kudos points needed.

In my view, that's more satsifying than playing GT3.
Wed 20/03/02 at 12:01
"High polygon count"
Your Honour wrote:
> You mean we agreed on other stuff? :-D

Well...

> I suspect, and I could be worng here, that you feel let
> down by Halo as you were expecting too much?

Could be. But then I never really fell for the hype (as Sonicrav will testify!). I just expected it to be good from what I saw on the net - screens, videoclips etc. It looked great. Well, it *is* great - but not fantastic.

> The opposite could be said of PGR. When I read your "XBox - an opinion"
> post, it seemd as if you just bought PGR for the hell of it, as opposed to
> actually thinking it a good game.

Almost definitely true. While I've said I don't think it's as good as GT3, it is still a fantastic game. Much more playable in short bursts, I think - almost like having GT3's licence test aspects available in the Arcade mode.

> When you take back DoA 3, have you considered getting
> Rallisport challenge? Or Jet Set Radio?

JSR just doesn't appeal to me at all. I've considered RalliSport Challenge, but I'm more interested in Colin McRae 3 or V-Rally 3 - probably V-Rally 3, as 2 was a fantasic game. I like watching WRC on TV, but I'm not the biggest fan of accurate rally sims as games. When it comes to those, I prefer good handling with an arcade feel, like V-Rally or the sublime rally section of GT3.
Wed 20/03/02 at 11:50
Regular
"You do realise, of course, that we've finally found something we *don't* agree on? :-)"

You mean we agreed on other stuff? :-D

I suspect, and I could be worng here, that you feel let down by Halo as you were expecting too much? You may have let yourself be built up by the hype more than you realised, perhaps? So even though it is a good game (in my view), it wasn't good enough to match your expectations, so you fell slightly... short changed?

The opposite could be said of PGR. When I read your "XBox - an opinion" post, it seemd as if you just bought PGR for the hell of it, as opposed to actually thinking it a good game. Because of this your expectations were lower, and so you're pleasantly suprised now you've got into it?

When you take back DoA 3, have you considered getting Rallisport challenge? Or Jet Set Radio?
Wed 20/03/02 at 11:43
"High polygon count"
Your Honour wrote:
> So how which do you prefer, PGR or GT3?

I still prefer GT3, because the handling of the cars is reliable. If you spin or crash in GT3, you know it's only because you cocked up. I still find occasions in PGR where the car doesn't handle as you're expecting, and that usually results in a collision with the barriers, even though you've taken the same corner in the same way a dozen times before. It can get frustrating - but not terribly so.

> And, now you've played it a bit more, are you glad you bought
> your XBox, or still feel let down?

Hmm. Good question.

I'm not sure 'glad' would be the right word. I'm not *sorry* I bought it, but I do feel I wish I'd waited for either a price drop, or for there to be more games available.

For me personally, the launch line-up isn't fantastic. Halo was the one game I really wanted, and has turned out to be not as good as I'd hoped. PGR was bought as a 'filler' almost, but has turned out to be pretty good. DoA3 is practically no different to DoA2, only more painful (for me) because of the Xbox controller. I'm going to exchange DoA3 for somoething... but I don't know what, as no other Xbox games available appeal to me.

On PS2 I'm still playing MGS2, and I still have Maximo to play and Dropship to finish - and this Friday I'll have ICO as well. I'm so glad I didn't trade it in or sell it.

So the Xbox may sit unused for a while, but at least I'll have one as and when better titles arrive. It's a good machine, but I think it'll be some considerable time before it displaces PS2 as my main system.

I can understand your stated reasons for trading systems, but there's no way I could do it at the moment - the PS2 still has my preferred games.

You do realise, of course, that we've finally found something we *don't* agree on? :-)
Wed 20/03/02 at 11:27
Regular
Ah, I haven't tried the main Kudos Challenge yet.

So how which do you prefer, PGR or GT3?

And, now you've played it a bit more, are you glad you bought your XBox, or still feel let down?
Wed 20/03/02 at 11:20
"High polygon count"
Your Honour wrote:
> So you use the buttons for accelerate?

Yup. It's easier to use a button configuration you're used to. But I found the triggers gave you pretty much full acceleration with just a slight press - it doesn't seem to be spread evenly over the whole range of trigger movement.

The buttons are supposed to be analogue (i.e. pressure sensitive) too, but they don't seem to be working in that way - again, a simple press seems to give full acceleration - but I still find it easier than the default setting.

I've done quite a bit on Normal difficulty, opened up a lot of new tracks and cars. Favourite so far is the Focus Cosworth. :-)

I haven't actually played Halo since Saturday - been on MGS2 and PGR!
Wed 20/03/02 at 10:31
Regular
You changed the controls to match GT3?!

Woah!

So you use the buttons for accelerate? Man, I find it SO much easier with the triggers, it just seems to give a better level of response, making it easier to get the spend you want when you want.

Having said that, I guess you're more used to the PS controller than me, and I'm used to the DC controller with M:SR.

Hmmm.

How far have you got with PGR then Wookiee? I'm just doing arcade mode at the moment, and I'm halfway through HARD level. I've been playing PGR the most so far, so I'll probably go back to Halo tonight.
Wed 20/03/02 at 10:24
"High polygon count"
V.V.V.V.V. wrote:
> I told WookieMonster that the PS2 controller was hurting
> my right thumb (because of constantly having to bend it
> in order to press accelerate on GTA3) - but he was
> having none of it.

It's not a question of 'having none of it' - I simply said that I personally couldn't agree because I've never had any sort of pain with the PS1/PS2 controllers.

I've played many games (including DoA2) for hour after hour with a Sony controller with no ill-effects, yet after 10 minutes of DoA3 I had cramps in my right hand because of the size and layout. So much so, in fact, that I'll be returning DoA3 under Game's no-quibble exchange guarantee. Though I've no idea what to get in its place, as there's nothing else which appeals to me at the moment. I'll either have to get gift vouchers, or a PS2 or PC game.

I wasn't saying you were wrong, just that in my personal experience the DualShock's are more comfortable.

On the other hand, when playing PGR, I find the controller quite comfortable - though I've done much better at it since reconfiguring the controls to match GT3.
Wed 20/03/02 at 08:58
Regular
"Not your monkey"
Your Honour wrote:
Given the previous games (which I've been a fan of since the very first on the the Amiga about 10 years ago),

I remember that one. It did rock most royally. Had it for my Atari STE though.

I got GP2 for the PC and even bought a steering wheel specially for it.

June? Should give me time to play MSR on the dreamcast for a bit first then!
Wed 20/03/02 at 08:48
Regular
I am the Tarrant wrote:
I got
> through a mere 4 cups of tea and 2 sausage rolls in the 20 hour period.

And
> that my friends, is HARDCORE gaming.

--

You sad sad man. ;-)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.