GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I'm a Control Freak!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 18/03/02 at 19:40
Regular
Hey everyone. I appreciate that this post should probably be over in FOG prime, but i can't put it there for the obvious and understandable reasons. I really hope that you all read this anyway, as I'd like to hear your opinions!

--------------------------

The Next Generation Console War is just getting interesting, And everyone wants to discuss the pros and cons of the processing power and specification of their favourite console. Software and Processor power aren't the only things that the console manufacturers have to get right however...

It's only with the last generation of consoles that the controller really started to get given the attention that it deserved from the designers. This is vital, as this small bundle of electronics is the player's physical link into the console. A massive factor in the making of many a great game (Gran Turismo series, Mario 64, Goldeneye, and many many more besides) is the way that the control of your on screen presence seems to respond to your commands. In effect, the way a game "feels" to play. Therefore it makes sense that the design of the controller is going to play a major part in whether a game is any fun to play. The controller could be what makes a good game great. Equally, it could kill a potentially good concept by holding the game back by control limitations.

Games consoles broke out onto the market with controllers as basic as you could imagine. Simply a rectangle of plastic featuring a layout of digital buttons. Classic early consoles such as the NES and Master System both sported such unimaginative contraptions, which were technically no better than the pads that accompanied those old "pong" sets that plugged into the TV. As consoles progressed, controllers evolved slowly, growing slight curves to help them fit more snugly in the hand, and sprouting more buttons to aid functionality and offer more scope for new game design.

The real design breakthrough started when the PSX emerged onto the scene in 1995. It's accompanying control pad was one of the first pads that had a truly intelligent ergonomic design. Holding it in your hand felt natural, and buttons fell neatly underneath your fingers. It borrowed from the designs of it's forefathers, using shoulder buttons, start, select and a d-pad as had been done before. This clever design by Sony meant that the gamer was presented with a controller which was in a reassuringly familar format, but presented in a way that was new and oh-so comfortable! There was more to come though, as there were still aspects that the PSX controller lacked...

Nintendo could see room for improvement. Continuing the idea of "handles" on either side of the joypad, Nintendo unleashed the N64 complete with a 3-prong pad featuring something not really seen before on a console controller. Analogue. The central joystick of the N64 controller was a real innovation that improved gameplay of many games by a massive amount, and is something that no self respecting console would be seen without anymore. It quickly followed this up with another innovation in the form of an addon vibra-pack, bringing rumble feedback into mainstream gaming. Sony had been outdone. But they weren't going to take this lying down, and they quickly retaliated with the DualShock controller. Arguably, they shamelessly stole ideas from nintendo, but the inclusion of two analogue joysticks made more sense, and having the rumble built inside the handles meant that the feedback felt better, and didn't attempt to shake the controller out of your hand. The advent of the PS2 saw a further addition of analogue buttons to the DualShock, but this seems to have been met with mixed response, and isn't universally appreciated.

A possible indication of how important the right controller is to a game is the presence of controllers designed for a specific genre of game only. Steering Wheel and pedal combo's for racers, light guns for shoot 'em ups, and to the extreme, skateboards and dance mats! And maybe this is where the future lies for the game control pad. With pad comfort at it's pinnacle, is the only way designers can progress likely to involve generating controllers representative of the items that are being used in the game?

The N64 controller and the Dualshock series are both excellent pads which fit snugly in the hand and, in my opinion, this improves the gameplay immensely. Trying to play with any poor 3rd party effort confirms this. However, I'm sure many of you disagree and i would like to hear your views. There's much to discuss.

For example, many PC gamers play Doom/Quake/Hexen/Etc. to amazingly high standards using nothing but the humble keyboard! Is this an indication that Pad design isn't important? Also, there are widely ranging opinions on the standard of the XBox pad. Have Microsoft made a mistake and neglected their joypad design, or have they designed something that will grow to be regarded as excellent as people get used to it, but most of us don't realise it yet? Let's hear your thoughts!

Thanks for reading to the end!
Mon 18/03/02 at 19:40
"...Unicef pennies.."
Hey everyone. I appreciate that this post should probably be over in FOG prime, but i can't put it there for the obvious and understandable reasons. I really hope that you all read this anyway, as I'd like to hear your opinions!

--------------------------

The Next Generation Console War is just getting interesting, And everyone wants to discuss the pros and cons of the processing power and specification of their favourite console. Software and Processor power aren't the only things that the console manufacturers have to get right however...

It's only with the last generation of consoles that the controller really started to get given the attention that it deserved from the designers. This is vital, as this small bundle of electronics is the player's physical link into the console. A massive factor in the making of many a great game (Gran Turismo series, Mario 64, Goldeneye, and many many more besides) is the way that the control of your on screen presence seems to respond to your commands. In effect, the way a game "feels" to play. Therefore it makes sense that the design of the controller is going to play a major part in whether a game is any fun to play. The controller could be what makes a good game great. Equally, it could kill a potentially good concept by holding the game back by control limitations.

Games consoles broke out onto the market with controllers as basic as you could imagine. Simply a rectangle of plastic featuring a layout of digital buttons. Classic early consoles such as the NES and Master System both sported such unimaginative contraptions, which were technically no better than the pads that accompanied those old "pong" sets that plugged into the TV. As consoles progressed, controllers evolved slowly, growing slight curves to help them fit more snugly in the hand, and sprouting more buttons to aid functionality and offer more scope for new game design.

The real design breakthrough started when the PSX emerged onto the scene in 1995. It's accompanying control pad was one of the first pads that had a truly intelligent ergonomic design. Holding it in your hand felt natural, and buttons fell neatly underneath your fingers. It borrowed from the designs of it's forefathers, using shoulder buttons, start, select and a d-pad as had been done before. This clever design by Sony meant that the gamer was presented with a controller which was in a reassuringly familar format, but presented in a way that was new and oh-so comfortable! There was more to come though, as there were still aspects that the PSX controller lacked...

Nintendo could see room for improvement. Continuing the idea of "handles" on either side of the joypad, Nintendo unleashed the N64 complete with a 3-prong pad featuring something not really seen before on a console controller. Analogue. The central joystick of the N64 controller was a real innovation that improved gameplay of many games by a massive amount, and is something that no self respecting console would be seen without anymore. It quickly followed this up with another innovation in the form of an addon vibra-pack, bringing rumble feedback into mainstream gaming. Sony had been outdone. But they weren't going to take this lying down, and they quickly retaliated with the DualShock controller. Arguably, they shamelessly stole ideas from nintendo, but the inclusion of two analogue joysticks made more sense, and having the rumble built inside the handles meant that the feedback felt better, and didn't attempt to shake the controller out of your hand. The advent of the PS2 saw a further addition of analogue buttons to the DualShock, but this seems to have been met with mixed response, and isn't universally appreciated.

A possible indication of how important the right controller is to a game is the presence of controllers designed for a specific genre of game only. Steering Wheel and pedal combo's for racers, light guns for shoot 'em ups, and to the extreme, skateboards and dance mats! And maybe this is where the future lies for the game control pad. With pad comfort at it's pinnacle, is the only way designers can progress likely to involve generating controllers representative of the items that are being used in the game?

The N64 controller and the Dualshock series are both excellent pads which fit snugly in the hand and, in my opinion, this improves the gameplay immensely. Trying to play with any poor 3rd party effort confirms this. However, I'm sure many of you disagree and i would like to hear your views. There's much to discuss.

For example, many PC gamers play Doom/Quake/Hexen/Etc. to amazingly high standards using nothing but the humble keyboard! Is this an indication that Pad design isn't important? Also, there are widely ranging opinions on the standard of the XBox pad. Have Microsoft made a mistake and neglected their joypad design, or have they designed something that will grow to be regarded as excellent as people get used to it, but most of us don't realise it yet? Let's hear your thoughts!

Thanks for reading to the end!
Mon 18/03/02 at 20:17
Regular
"¬_¬"
Okie dokie Doctor Jones
Mon 18/03/02 at 20:18
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
No time for love, Dr jones.
Mon 18/03/02 at 20:28
Regular
No more parachutes!!
Mon 18/03/02 at 20:30
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Snakes! Why'd id havta be snakes!?
Mon 18/03/02 at 21:00
"...Unicef pennies.."
Erm. Cheers.

*sigh*
Mon 18/03/02 at 21:06
Regular
"¬_¬"
Appreciation only ever comes in the FOG prime...
You'll learn one day, padawan. Until then, you'll have to put up with the smelly comments.

*sigh*
Mon 18/03/02 at 21:50
"slightlyshortertagl"
do you want me to post it for yu in Prime obviously under your name?????
Mon 18/03/02 at 21:54
"...Unicef pennies.."
Clearly i had high hopes and aspirations, ideas above my station. Maybe, but all this time i've tried to walk with dignity and pride!

%-6
Mon 18/03/02 at 21:57
"...Unicef pennies.."
HálloHowArtThou wrote:
> do you want me to post it for yu in Prime obviously under your name?????

If you think it might get acknowledged there, then that would be cool, thanx! :-)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.