GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"For those in need of a new laser for their PSX"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 06/11/02 at 22:25
Regular
Two phonecalls and a google search after Tony's failed attempt at being cocky, I found a stockist who sells new lasers, rather than reconditioned parts. Laser unit has now been installed, and I'm happy to say it's working beautifully, I spent a good few hours earlier tonight on a nostalgia fest with some of the original PSX releases (much better than the second rate junk that's chruned out nowadays ;) ).

If any of you are experiencing prolonged load times (or games not loading at all), FMV or audio skipping, and inoppurtune crashes you may find installing a new laser unit will solve your problems.

They can be bought from "ThinkPrice" at £30 (not the £60 that Tony foolishly quoted, although I do find it amusing when people who have no prior knowledge on the subject, try to fake it), and all model numbers are available (the SCPH-XXXX on the base of your PSX will reveal this).

http://www.thinkprice.com/acatalog/ Online_Catalogue_Playstation_5.html
Remember to remove the space.

For installation, if you are not sufficiently confident in your ability to switch the laser units, I would reccomend you get someone a little more versed than yourself to do it for you. Preferably someone with experience in electronics. If you wish to attempt doing so yourself make sure you stick to my instructions below.

Disconnect your PSX from both the mains, and it's power lead, then turn the unit on as you would normally. Leave it like this for roughly 5 seconds, then switch it off. The reason for doing this is to make sure that all the built up charge stored in the capacitors is dispelled, otherwise there can still be a dangerous charge stored within the components and we don't want to be subjecting you to that. ;)

Next, remove the six casing screws from along the edges of the PSX's base, make sure you put these somewhere safe where they won't get lost, then turn the PSX back to it's upright position and carefully lift the casing from the sides. The casing should lift off with ease. If you want, you may now clean it with a moist cloth, just be sure that it is completely dry before replacing it.

Now you should be looking at the controller bay, and the laser unit, resting above the protective metal shield. Notice the thin ribbon cable connecting to an elongated rectangular socket and the power supply lead? (three wires connected to a small plug at each end, one connected to the laser unit itself, and the other to the board next to the ribbon cable)

Carefully grip both sides of the ribbon cable, as close to the socket as possible, and **GENTLY** ease it up and out of it's socket. Then do the same with the power supply lead. You may now lift the entire laser unit off of it's three castors.

The new laser unit should be without the three rubber legs, and the power supply lead, you will need to place your existing ones into the same location on the new unit. This is simple. For the power supply lead merely remove the plug from the old laser in the same way you removed the opposite end from the PSX main board, and the rubber castors are easily removed and replaced, they just slip out of "C" shaped grips. Put these parts into the same positions on the new laser unit.

Now, follow the instructions you use to remove the old unit in reverse, to install the new laser. Making sure to take extra care with the ribbon cable as you place it back into the socket, it's quite fragile. The side of the cable where you can see the silver contacts exposed should be facing the back of the console. The power cable cannot be inserted the wrong way around, a small plastic ridge ensures it can only be inserted one way. Once the leads are reconnected, make sure that the laser unit is seated correctly on the three poles the rubber castors rest on, and finally replace the casing ensuring you screw it back on securely.

Your PSX should now be ready to use again. ;)

Disclaimer: If you kill, injure, emotionally damage, severely disappoint, lose all feeling in your hair, develop a chronic fear of screws or otherwise harm yourself in following this guide it is nothing to do with me. :P

I did say ask a qualified electrician to do it if you weren't entirely sure you could yourself. I would strongly reccommend you stick to this unless you're an electronics wiz like me. :P
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Wed 06/11/02 at 22:25
"Stupid Newbie :D"
Two phonecalls and a google search after Tony's failed attempt at being cocky, I found a stockist who sells new lasers, rather than reconditioned parts. Laser unit has now been installed, and I'm happy to say it's working beautifully, I spent a good few hours earlier tonight on a nostalgia fest with some of the original PSX releases (much better than the second rate junk that's chruned out nowadays ;) ).

If any of you are experiencing prolonged load times (or games not loading at all), FMV or audio skipping, and inoppurtune crashes you may find installing a new laser unit will solve your problems.

They can be bought from "ThinkPrice" at £30 (not the £60 that Tony foolishly quoted, although I do find it amusing when people who have no prior knowledge on the subject, try to fake it), and all model numbers are available (the SCPH-XXXX on the base of your PSX will reveal this).

http://www.thinkprice.com/acatalog/ Online_Catalogue_Playstation_5.html
Remember to remove the space.

For installation, if you are not sufficiently confident in your ability to switch the laser units, I would reccomend you get someone a little more versed than yourself to do it for you. Preferably someone with experience in electronics. If you wish to attempt doing so yourself make sure you stick to my instructions below.

Disconnect your PSX from both the mains, and it's power lead, then turn the unit on as you would normally. Leave it like this for roughly 5 seconds, then switch it off. The reason for doing this is to make sure that all the built up charge stored in the capacitors is dispelled, otherwise there can still be a dangerous charge stored within the components and we don't want to be subjecting you to that. ;)

Next, remove the six casing screws from along the edges of the PSX's base, make sure you put these somewhere safe where they won't get lost, then turn the PSX back to it's upright position and carefully lift the casing from the sides. The casing should lift off with ease. If you want, you may now clean it with a moist cloth, just be sure that it is completely dry before replacing it.

Now you should be looking at the controller bay, and the laser unit, resting above the protective metal shield. Notice the thin ribbon cable connecting to an elongated rectangular socket and the power supply lead? (three wires connected to a small plug at each end, one connected to the laser unit itself, and the other to the board next to the ribbon cable)

Carefully grip both sides of the ribbon cable, as close to the socket as possible, and **GENTLY** ease it up and out of it's socket. Then do the same with the power supply lead. You may now lift the entire laser unit off of it's three castors.

The new laser unit should be without the three rubber legs, and the power supply lead, you will need to place your existing ones into the same location on the new unit. This is simple. For the power supply lead merely remove the plug from the old laser in the same way you removed the opposite end from the PSX main board, and the rubber castors are easily removed and replaced, they just slip out of "C" shaped grips. Put these parts into the same positions on the new laser unit.

Now, follow the instructions you use to remove the old unit in reverse, to install the new laser. Making sure to take extra care with the ribbon cable as you place it back into the socket, it's quite fragile. The side of the cable where you can see the silver contacts exposed should be facing the back of the console. The power cable cannot be inserted the wrong way around, a small plastic ridge ensures it can only be inserted one way. Once the leads are reconnected, make sure that the laser unit is seated correctly on the three poles the rubber castors rest on, and finally replace the casing ensuring you screw it back on securely.

Your PSX should now be ready to use again. ;)

Disclaimer: If you kill, injure, emotionally damage, severely disappoint, lose all feeling in your hair, develop a chronic fear of screws or otherwise harm yourself in following this guide it is nothing to do with me. :P

I did say ask a qualified electrician to do it if you weren't entirely sure you could yourself. I would strongly reccommend you stick to this unless you're an electronics wiz like me. :P

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.