GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Bringing Back Memories"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 06/11/02 at 22:43
Regular
Remember the good old days? Remember when you just couldn’t wait to get home for that bout of Mortal Kombat or a go on Sonic 2 against a mate? When you are young, gaming is a totally different experience. It’s exciting, it’s relatively new to you and its fun. Remember the games that just oozed quality and originality. Now games are becoming more linear, plain and quite frankly uninspiring. So while you cant bring back the youth, you can bring back the games that made you happy on dark cold winter nights. Surely you would want that? -Or would you…

You tend to remember positive things about your childhood or just things that made you feel happy. You always have warm place in your heart for nice stuff that has happened to you. And the same certainly applies to games – you tend to remember times when you played your Megadrive with your mates – I know I still do – and it just makes you smile. So with so many faceless titles coming out on the market, you just want to shout at the developers – BRING THESE GAMES BACK.

But that’s where there lies a little issue. Do you want your memories of a superb title to be shattered after a cheap remake, a simple cash-in on the game’s past? And, as I a sure many filmmakers are aware, is it worth it to risk the reputation of a once successful title just to produce a sequel or a remake that is not going to do anything for the game’s or company’s status. A classic is a classic. It should not be extended or remade or given a facelift. If people loved the game 10 years ago, they will still love it. Ok, they may not play it often due to other more technologically advanced titles, but it’s the way they remember the game that counts.

Midway’s recent announcement of their planned remake of the Defender has made me think. All the people who enjoyed that classic title, how will they react to the completely new 3D engine, new elements and almost new everything. You may think it’s a very positive thing – great environments and a totally new viewpoint to the classic, but changing something thousands loved? Is that really the way forward for the gaming industry? How about taking Pro Evolution Soccer and 10 years from now changing the graphics, the engine, everything that basically makes it PES. The name is there but the game is not. You could say that in case of Defender, its possible to regard it as a brand new game in its own right – since it is so much different to the original but then the image of someone sitting there thinking “How about making a new fly-space-thing shooting game and just call it Defender cause apparently people liked that a decade ago” comes before your eyes and undoubtedly the fans of the game would shudder.

I am not saying that remakes of classic games are pointless. I have greatly enjoyed Road Rash 3D on PS one and loved the new Mortal Kombat game at the Playstation experience. But what most worries me is the transition of certain titles from 2D to 3D. Admit it, it’s almost like making something totally different. Remember how odd Sonic 3D felt at first before you got used to not moving left and right like you did in original games. It is very difficult to change the game and expect it to attract as much attention just because it shares the same name. Yes, the standards of video gaming are changing, and yes, games have to evolve to attract audiences and become successful. But when you set out to bring back an old favourite, you actually have to remind everyone just why it was so popular – it has to either play very similarly or at least have the feel of the original.

Changing a game gradually is a much less difficult experience. Introducing new elements, enhancing the graphics and even moving into the third dimension over a number of similar games in the series is first of all more easier to implement and secondly easier for the player to get used to. A straightforward remake of the original just does not allow the player to appreciate certain elements; they cannot provide feedback or ideas to the development team. Once the game is out and it also appears to be poo, there is no going back. The image of the series is just not going to be the same, and whereas fans will ignore anything and stick by their favourites, it is still sad to see when developers do not do the classics justice they so much deserve.

We have seen special compilations released for many platforms with unchanged arcade classics and console gems. They are the games that bring back the smile to your face because they are just as you remember them. Even certain titles remade capturing the atmosphere of the original can be fun and involving. But the point still stands – developers have to be very very careful when attempting to bring back the favourites. Many have tried, many have failed but only few have captured that little something that made those games what they are. If the concept behind these games fits a niche in the market, or the game is outstanding enough in its own right, there is every opportunity for developers to attempt fitting the title with all the other games out there. But it has to be done thoughtfully and properly with the players being able to identify with those titles. So, developers, please take your time and consider everything before trying to bring back such titles. Because after all its not just the games you are going to be bringing back – its our smiles as well…
Fri 08/11/02 at 23:41
Regular
"You Bum!!"
Pop :)
Thu 07/11/02 at 00:18
Regular
"You Bum!!"
That is erm interesting Phil. Now go back to sleep mate....
Thu 07/11/02 at 00:14
Regular
I try to remember happy things from the past, and I know there are plenty of them, but I make too many mistakes for it to be all rosy :D Every so often I think back and remember exploding chemical apparatus or things I`ve said that really should have been said.

I guess there are two things you learn. Things you really enjoy, and things you hope you never do again, all under learning from experience.

I was going to link it in with games, but I`m almost asleep, so I`ll finish by mentioning how great TimeSplitters 2 still is, even after being released all those weeks ago. It seems like only yesterday that I started playing, and there are certainly some happy memories there.
Wed 06/11/02 at 23:25
Regular
"You Bum!!"
As I see it, if the game was so good in the first place, there is no point in remaking it and risking its reputation. The Final Fantasy games that you mentioned Dame are almost 10 years old and they are fantastic to play even though the graphics are laughable at times. If you are so keen to bring out a game based on one classic or another, then you might as well get as many influences as you can but create a new game. As I said, remakes are not a way forward for the industry
Wed 06/11/02 at 22:59
Regular
"360: swfcman"
One of my old time favourite games was Flashback on the Mega Drive, brilliant it was, and i was very pleased to see they were making a remake of it on the PS1, a game known as Fade To Black. It was released and i got it...

What a pile of Tripe it was.

It lost everything in it that made the first game, mainly moving from a 2D platformer to a 3D environment.

And its that the thing that i dont like about developers bringing back games, because when they do, they often change them and it never really works for the better. The best way to keep the classics as classics is to leave them alone, like Square did with FF 4,5 and 6 on the PS1. Dont remake them, leave them alone and let us enjoy them as we always have.
Wed 06/11/02 at 22:50
Regular
"Touched!"
Nice post and reading that reminds me of some of my childhood favourites such as sonic and mario, i agree with you that many old games have been remade and not as good as we had hoped or they tarnish the great image of the first game, reamakes are good as long as they do what the classic did best, ie not chaging it completely and destroying part of what was great all of those years ago, those games are gone now but they will always have a place in my memory, its hard to forget good games from the past.
Games such as sonic and mario are still goin strong today becuase they retain the elements of what made the previous versions so great, so keep them coming by all means, but make them better or just as good, you can't beat an old classic, they are there to be learnt from.

nice to see ya back mate!

Nice post too, brings back some memories!
Wed 06/11/02 at 22:49
Regular
"Notable"
good post. just wait till i....(scheming whispers)
Wed 06/11/02 at 22:43
Regular
"You Bum!!"
Remember the good old days? Remember when you just couldn’t wait to get home for that bout of Mortal Kombat or a go on Sonic 2 against a mate? When you are young, gaming is a totally different experience. It’s exciting, it’s relatively new to you and its fun. Remember the games that just oozed quality and originality. Now games are becoming more linear, plain and quite frankly uninspiring. So while you cant bring back the youth, you can bring back the games that made you happy on dark cold winter nights. Surely you would want that? -Or would you…

You tend to remember positive things about your childhood or just things that made you feel happy. You always have warm place in your heart for nice stuff that has happened to you. And the same certainly applies to games – you tend to remember times when you played your Megadrive with your mates – I know I still do – and it just makes you smile. So with so many faceless titles coming out on the market, you just want to shout at the developers – BRING THESE GAMES BACK.

But that’s where there lies a little issue. Do you want your memories of a superb title to be shattered after a cheap remake, a simple cash-in on the game’s past? And, as I a sure many filmmakers are aware, is it worth it to risk the reputation of a once successful title just to produce a sequel or a remake that is not going to do anything for the game’s or company’s status. A classic is a classic. It should not be extended or remade or given a facelift. If people loved the game 10 years ago, they will still love it. Ok, they may not play it often due to other more technologically advanced titles, but it’s the way they remember the game that counts.

Midway’s recent announcement of their planned remake of the Defender has made me think. All the people who enjoyed that classic title, how will they react to the completely new 3D engine, new elements and almost new everything. You may think it’s a very positive thing – great environments and a totally new viewpoint to the classic, but changing something thousands loved? Is that really the way forward for the gaming industry? How about taking Pro Evolution Soccer and 10 years from now changing the graphics, the engine, everything that basically makes it PES. The name is there but the game is not. You could say that in case of Defender, its possible to regard it as a brand new game in its own right – since it is so much different to the original but then the image of someone sitting there thinking “How about making a new fly-space-thing shooting game and just call it Defender cause apparently people liked that a decade ago” comes before your eyes and undoubtedly the fans of the game would shudder.

I am not saying that remakes of classic games are pointless. I have greatly enjoyed Road Rash 3D on PS one and loved the new Mortal Kombat game at the Playstation experience. But what most worries me is the transition of certain titles from 2D to 3D. Admit it, it’s almost like making something totally different. Remember how odd Sonic 3D felt at first before you got used to not moving left and right like you did in original games. It is very difficult to change the game and expect it to attract as much attention just because it shares the same name. Yes, the standards of video gaming are changing, and yes, games have to evolve to attract audiences and become successful. But when you set out to bring back an old favourite, you actually have to remind everyone just why it was so popular – it has to either play very similarly or at least have the feel of the original.

Changing a game gradually is a much less difficult experience. Introducing new elements, enhancing the graphics and even moving into the third dimension over a number of similar games in the series is first of all more easier to implement and secondly easier for the player to get used to. A straightforward remake of the original just does not allow the player to appreciate certain elements; they cannot provide feedback or ideas to the development team. Once the game is out and it also appears to be poo, there is no going back. The image of the series is just not going to be the same, and whereas fans will ignore anything and stick by their favourites, it is still sad to see when developers do not do the classics justice they so much deserve.

We have seen special compilations released for many platforms with unchanged arcade classics and console gems. They are the games that bring back the smile to your face because they are just as you remember them. Even certain titles remade capturing the atmosphere of the original can be fun and involving. But the point still stands – developers have to be very very careful when attempting to bring back the favourites. Many have tried, many have failed but only few have captured that little something that made those games what they are. If the concept behind these games fits a niche in the market, or the game is outstanding enough in its own right, there is every opportunity for developers to attempt fitting the title with all the other games out there. But it has to be done thoughtfully and properly with the players being able to identify with those titles. So, developers, please take your time and consider everything before trying to bring back such titles. Because after all its not just the games you are going to be bringing back – its our smiles as well…

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.