GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A New Beginning"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 07/11/02 at 18:37
Regular
Nintendo, a company which has evolved with the times (if not as fast as we'd like) and one which makes bold decisions, great games and weird mascots, could be said to right now be having a new beginning. Of course, Rare leaving was and is not the 'beginning of the end', far from it. I shall feel no spite towards Rare, or Ninty for selling Rare, it is, as I say, a new beginning. The Gamecube, Nintendo's first disc-based system, is selling well, with the Sunshine helping to boost it. So how have Nintendo changed, and what do you (and I) think may happen in the future? I guess this post is really about Nintendo in the last year, and years to come. So enjoy!

This year, Nintendo have done many significant things. The one I feel, and I think everyone else feels, is the most significant, is the Gamecube. A wonder of technology, expandable and versatile and...a cube! The purple, black, spice-orange and platinum box of tricks reall is a piece of hardware of which owners can really be proud of. A pleasant mix of the other consoles, with a bundle of originality, makes the Gamecube so different. But of course, the Gamecube could not survive alone. It must have good (well, great) software to keep it alive..and of course, there is more than enough.

The games for Gamecube are extremely innovative. Luigi's Mansion made hoovering fun. Pikmin made weird ants fun. Super Monkey Ball (Sega, I know, but Nintendo licensed it ;)) made monkeys and balls fun, which, contrary to popular belief, is possible. How can one console have so much..plain..weirdness? And the most amazing thing is, they sold. They sold and sold and sold. Plus, with Doshin the Giant out now (more randomness) plus Mario Party 4 (looks set to be the best in the series) PLUS the exclusive, long awaited and generally amazing Super Mario Sunshine and other non-Nintendo games such as Starfox Adventures and Timesplitters 2, it seems the gaming line up can only get stronger. But that's just a tastere of whats to come.

Less known about games are also looking set to do well. Wario World, if not slightly average, looks pretty good, and obviously games like Mario Kart/Tennis/Golf GC, Skies of Arcadia (happy Grix? :D) Phantasy Star Online, F-Zero, Final Fantasies - too many to mention - most half-Nintendo or third party - all look absolutely stunning. But unfortunately...

We lost Rare! The end of an era, the beginning anew, you could say. But there's no denying Rare's expertise, with N64 hits like Banjo, Diddy Kong, Conkers Bad Fur Day and obviously, GoldenEye & Perfect Dark, is huge, and seeing Joanna Dark on the Gamecube would have been stunning. But now, because of various 'circumstances' (including little sales and MS's ridiculously sized wallet) it seems that Rare are Nintendo's no more, with Starfoz Adventures being the last game from them on our console (and apparently, it's not all that great unfortunately). A harsh reality, but more than possible. You can only have so many hits.

But it's not all bad! It's a new era! New developers are becoming the apple of Ninty's eye..3rd part developers are now, more than ever, being trusted with the big names, including the new Starfox 'arcadey flying' game and also various smaller games. With new, innovative technology, such as the Wavebird and the e-Card reader, it seems that the futures bright. Very bright.

So what else could be in store for us? What can we swing the Sony's and Microsoft's people with to make e'm buy a GC (as if Sunshine wasn't enough :D)

My first masterful plan : We destroy every Sony/Microsoft product in existen. Whilst Microsoft really have nothing to lose (including Windows, I say Linux for everyone!), Sony makes various cool gadgets. This plan would fail and end in an illegal monopoly of the market, earning Ninty a small EU penalty (millions of euros...mwhahah!). So out the window with this.

My next cunning plan was to try and bring over some of the major franchises from Sony and Microsoft. We could convince Rockstar to do some 'stuff' for the Gamecube, and as we have Resi 0 and some Final Fantasy, why wouldn't Sony folk want one. Once again, howver, MS are a problem. They have no really wanted franchises. Away with that idea also.

So, in desperation, I came up with this plan, and it cannot fail. Get the major franchises to stand by one developer (Rockstar and PS2, Bunjee (I think) and Microsoft, and Nintendo well, with Nintendo) and commence a price war. No more price creaming to get the profit. Set hardware prices low, so everyone can have at least 2, if not 3 of the major consoles. Games may have to go up in price, but if demand was high enough, this wouldn't be the case. So now that everyone has a Gamecube, think of the possibilities!

The online capabilties and possibilities would be huge, and if all the platforms went online in a similar fashion, a multi-platform game could go online in the same network for all 3 consoles. Alas, the 6-billion people dream could be one step closer.

Then again, the chances of this are slim.

So what do you think of Nintendo's past year, the present moment, and the future of indeed Nintendo and of gaming. Well I know what I hope, and discuss what you hope too.

:: Fuzzy ::
Thu 07/11/02 at 18:37
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
Nintendo, a company which has evolved with the times (if not as fast as we'd like) and one which makes bold decisions, great games and weird mascots, could be said to right now be having a new beginning. Of course, Rare leaving was and is not the 'beginning of the end', far from it. I shall feel no spite towards Rare, or Ninty for selling Rare, it is, as I say, a new beginning. The Gamecube, Nintendo's first disc-based system, is selling well, with the Sunshine helping to boost it. So how have Nintendo changed, and what do you (and I) think may happen in the future? I guess this post is really about Nintendo in the last year, and years to come. So enjoy!

This year, Nintendo have done many significant things. The one I feel, and I think everyone else feels, is the most significant, is the Gamecube. A wonder of technology, expandable and versatile and...a cube! The purple, black, spice-orange and platinum box of tricks reall is a piece of hardware of which owners can really be proud of. A pleasant mix of the other consoles, with a bundle of originality, makes the Gamecube so different. But of course, the Gamecube could not survive alone. It must have good (well, great) software to keep it alive..and of course, there is more than enough.

The games for Gamecube are extremely innovative. Luigi's Mansion made hoovering fun. Pikmin made weird ants fun. Super Monkey Ball (Sega, I know, but Nintendo licensed it ;)) made monkeys and balls fun, which, contrary to popular belief, is possible. How can one console have so much..plain..weirdness? And the most amazing thing is, they sold. They sold and sold and sold. Plus, with Doshin the Giant out now (more randomness) plus Mario Party 4 (looks set to be the best in the series) PLUS the exclusive, long awaited and generally amazing Super Mario Sunshine and other non-Nintendo games such as Starfox Adventures and Timesplitters 2, it seems the gaming line up can only get stronger. But that's just a tastere of whats to come.

Less known about games are also looking set to do well. Wario World, if not slightly average, looks pretty good, and obviously games like Mario Kart/Tennis/Golf GC, Skies of Arcadia (happy Grix? :D) Phantasy Star Online, F-Zero, Final Fantasies - too many to mention - most half-Nintendo or third party - all look absolutely stunning. But unfortunately...

We lost Rare! The end of an era, the beginning anew, you could say. But there's no denying Rare's expertise, with N64 hits like Banjo, Diddy Kong, Conkers Bad Fur Day and obviously, GoldenEye & Perfect Dark, is huge, and seeing Joanna Dark on the Gamecube would have been stunning. But now, because of various 'circumstances' (including little sales and MS's ridiculously sized wallet) it seems that Rare are Nintendo's no more, with Starfoz Adventures being the last game from them on our console (and apparently, it's not all that great unfortunately). A harsh reality, but more than possible. You can only have so many hits.

But it's not all bad! It's a new era! New developers are becoming the apple of Ninty's eye..3rd part developers are now, more than ever, being trusted with the big names, including the new Starfox 'arcadey flying' game and also various smaller games. With new, innovative technology, such as the Wavebird and the e-Card reader, it seems that the futures bright. Very bright.

So what else could be in store for us? What can we swing the Sony's and Microsoft's people with to make e'm buy a GC (as if Sunshine wasn't enough :D)

My first masterful plan : We destroy every Sony/Microsoft product in existen. Whilst Microsoft really have nothing to lose (including Windows, I say Linux for everyone!), Sony makes various cool gadgets. This plan would fail and end in an illegal monopoly of the market, earning Ninty a small EU penalty (millions of euros...mwhahah!). So out the window with this.

My next cunning plan was to try and bring over some of the major franchises from Sony and Microsoft. We could convince Rockstar to do some 'stuff' for the Gamecube, and as we have Resi 0 and some Final Fantasy, why wouldn't Sony folk want one. Once again, howver, MS are a problem. They have no really wanted franchises. Away with that idea also.

So, in desperation, I came up with this plan, and it cannot fail. Get the major franchises to stand by one developer (Rockstar and PS2, Bunjee (I think) and Microsoft, and Nintendo well, with Nintendo) and commence a price war. No more price creaming to get the profit. Set hardware prices low, so everyone can have at least 2, if not 3 of the major consoles. Games may have to go up in price, but if demand was high enough, this wouldn't be the case. So now that everyone has a Gamecube, think of the possibilities!

The online capabilties and possibilities would be huge, and if all the platforms went online in a similar fashion, a multi-platform game could go online in the same network for all 3 consoles. Alas, the 6-billion people dream could be one step closer.

Then again, the chances of this are slim.

So what do you think of Nintendo's past year, the present moment, and the future of indeed Nintendo and of gaming. Well I know what I hope, and discuss what you hope too.

:: Fuzzy ::
Thu 07/11/02 at 21:00
Regular
"Must be Parkinson's"
I think you are idealistic, but everyone has a dream, nintendo said before gfamecube came out, that they didnt want to be in the console wars, hence them not worrying about the opposition, so they dont need to bheatr the other consoles, that wouldnt be fair for the people with x-boxs and ps2s they just need a stream of games that people who bought a gamecube will enjoy. Gamecubes ethos is easy to get into hard to put down games, ps2 has more arty gasmes but also loads of spin-offs because of its mainstream popularity, and x-box is gennerally the hadcore gamer console or pc gamer's.i mean on x-box, look at that game where you need a masive controller for a mech, on ps2 look at rez, and on gamecube look at eternal darkness, in truth there isnt a war, just different prefferences, there is no need to actually beat one another into the ground.
Thu 07/11/02 at 21:00
Regular
"Must be Parkinson's"
I think you are idealistic, but everyone has a dream, nintendo said before gfamecube came out, that they didnt want to be in the console wars, hence them not worrying about the opposition, so they dont need to bheatr the other consoles, that wouldnt be fair for the people with x-boxs and ps2s they just need a stream of games that people who bought a gamecube will enjoy. Gamecubes ethos is easy to get into hard to put down games, ps2 has more arty gasmes but also loads of spin-offs because of its mainstream popularity, and x-box is gennerally the hadcore gamer console or pc gamer's.i mean on x-box, look at that game where you need a masive controller for a mech, on ps2 look at rez, and on gamecube look at eternal darkness, in truth there isnt a war, just different prefferences, there is no need to actually beat one another into the ground.
Thu 07/11/02 at 21:03
Regular
"Must be Parkinson's"
sprry for those two identical posts, server crasshedand i pressed it twice
Fri 08/11/02 at 16:25
Regular
"Must be Parkinson's"
are you going to reply?
Fri 08/11/02 at 19:48
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
I am indeed.

I love idealism (therefore this post was created)

Imagine the possibilites!
Fri 08/11/02 at 19:49
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
And I agree with your points about each consolre

Rez rules, for the record lol :D
Fri 08/11/02 at 21:05
Regular
"Must be Parkinson's"
thankyou. i used to be psychot332 if you remember me, forgot my password. and yes, rez does rule, dreamcast version was better though
Fri 08/11/02 at 21:08
Regular
"gsybe you!"
And this is an open topic indeed...................

Idealism. Fun..............i live by it.

;)
Sat 09/11/02 at 14:05
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
Indeed :D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.