GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Cinematic Games"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 17/03/02 at 19:21
Regular
Is it me or a games becoming more and more like films every day? Games are being turned into films and films are being made into games. Take Metal Gear Solid for example. When you first put the dvd in your Ps2 and start a new game it feels like you were watching a film, but then you control Snake and it goes to another cut-scene, and you think your watching a film. All games should be like this because then you would never want to put your PS2 controller down. Which is a good thing is it. Well not for your social life anyway. But who cares?

Films being made into games. This could be a good and bad thing. On the good side, if you give the license to a good developer you get a good game like the Bond license and Rare. But on the bad side, if you give the license to a not so good developer you get a game like Tomorrow never dies. Tragic to see a good game go to waste.

But getting back to the point, the cut scenes in Metal Gear Solid can get a little bit annoying. I did say a little bit. They can go on for a little bit longer than other games. Some of them a quite short but are exciting when others are very very very very very long and there pretty boring. But that’s what a film like. It’s got the talking part and the action part. That’s the point of this post.

But that’s just one example of games becoming like films. I could go on forever but I have got to go to bed tonight.

I think this is a good thing though, right. It’s good because games will have a good storyline like Metal Gear Solid 2 and Shadowman on Dreamcast. Having good cut scenes is good if there not to long and boring..

Another indication of games that are becoming more like films are games being made into films. There’s Resident Evil, Shenmue, Final Fantasy and the latest Dead or Alive. The storylines are similar, same characters and so on. -

With games that are like movies, it attracts a wider range of people that might want a game with a good story line with twists and turns in it rather than the same old Adventure game e.g. Jax and Daxter, Donkey Kong 64, Banjo Kazooie, (the list could go on) where the baddie takes over the land putting traps everywhere, waiting for you to come to him so you can fight.

So, what do you think about Cinematic Games? A good thing or bad thing?
Sun 17/03/02 at 19:21
Regular
Is it me or a games becoming more and more like films every day? Games are being turned into films and films are being made into games. Take Metal Gear Solid for example. When you first put the dvd in your Ps2 and start a new game it feels like you were watching a film, but then you control Snake and it goes to another cut-scene, and you think your watching a film. All games should be like this because then you would never want to put your PS2 controller down. Which is a good thing is it. Well not for your social life anyway. But who cares?

Films being made into games. This could be a good and bad thing. On the good side, if you give the license to a good developer you get a good game like the Bond license and Rare. But on the bad side, if you give the license to a not so good developer you get a game like Tomorrow never dies. Tragic to see a good game go to waste.

But getting back to the point, the cut scenes in Metal Gear Solid can get a little bit annoying. I did say a little bit. They can go on for a little bit longer than other games. Some of them a quite short but are exciting when others are very very very very very long and there pretty boring. But that’s what a film like. It’s got the talking part and the action part. That’s the point of this post.

But that’s just one example of games becoming like films. I could go on forever but I have got to go to bed tonight.

I think this is a good thing though, right. It’s good because games will have a good storyline like Metal Gear Solid 2 and Shadowman on Dreamcast. Having good cut scenes is good if there not to long and boring..

Another indication of games that are becoming more like films are games being made into films. There’s Resident Evil, Shenmue, Final Fantasy and the latest Dead or Alive. The storylines are similar, same characters and so on. -

With games that are like movies, it attracts a wider range of people that might want a game with a good story line with twists and turns in it rather than the same old Adventure game e.g. Jax and Daxter, Donkey Kong 64, Banjo Kazooie, (the list could go on) where the baddie takes over the land putting traps everywhere, waiting for you to come to him so you can fight.

So, what do you think about Cinematic Games? A good thing or bad thing?
Sun 17/03/02 at 19:23
i'm sure this has been done before
Sun 17/03/02 at 19:25
Regular
Where?
Sun 17/03/02 at 20:12
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
I did a GAD winner on it about a year ago, and did a topic about "cinematism" in Prime about a month back.

Sonic
Sun 17/03/02 at 20:32
it has been done before and it is a pretty boring subject! Who cares about cut-scenes and stuff you can skip em if you want and they tell the story cos nowt else does! dont come back with a stupid argument bout spellings and punctuation cos i aint bothered!
Sun 17/03/02 at 20:49
Regular
"Bonus!"
Ha i remember this game called final fantasy and it was almost like being in a cinema remarkable!
Sun 17/03/02 at 20:55
hmmm, this Asterix fellow has the same sort of humor as the late 'Urkel'. Could this be the return of Urkel, or am i just way off the plot?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.