GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"We want Pain!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 08/11/02 at 13:15
Regular
Realism these days is becoming an even bigger thing. Developers want a realistic explosion in their game or a realistic guard who grabs his nuts in pain when you shoot him there. Realism is big and the step to take it to complete realism is upon us. Recently rumble packs where situated in our consoles controllers. This way you could feel the bullets hit you or your engine when you shifted into gear 4. However we need to take another step in order to get to perfection.

In my opinion this next step is pain. We may feel a slight rumble when we crash the car in a racing game but it’s rare to escape unscathed in really life so how about some pain. Obviously, the first thing you would think is “who would want to get hurt playing a game”? Well, I feel you don’t need to get all out pain. Rather a tiny electric shock will do, like a rumble pack but directly to you rather than from the pack. For example, you get shot, you get electric shock simulating the pain of the bullet. Sounds good doesn’t it. That way you are made to think more carefully about your approach to the level, unless you’re a loony who likes pain. I also feel there should be a level of shocking for each apparent situation, just like the rumble pack. On the rumble pack, getting shot with a pistol is a little rumble while getting hit with a shotgun is an even bigger rumble. This should work with the shocks as well. However the shocks must not go above something like 500 volts otherwise the shocks could damage your health, which brings me to the next question. Where will you get shocked?

Naturally it would have to be your hands, but this would cause your control of the game to slip massively and put you off. Then there’s the head, however this is too close to the brain plus it could cause headaches. The legs are kind of pointless to be shocked, as you wouldn’t be able to stand on them after a while. My opinion would be to shock you on your arms, just above the elbow. It doesn’t affect your hands that much and it’s in a safe-ish place.

I made a survey on this topic and asked a few people on MSN.

1) Would you like to be shocked while playing games?
Semajal said No
Absolut Neo says YES
Jive says No

2) Even if it added realism to the game?
Semajal said No
Absolut Neo says YES
Jive says No

3) What would you suggest to improve pain realism in games?
Semajal says: mabey characture starts limping if they get shot in leg etc

Absolut Neo says: yeh have the controller attack you whilst destroying enemies in games

Jive says: well think about it this way.....in Vice City ...... u get shot, lets have a gun pointing at u which fires little pellets but they really hurt every time u get shot....it's going to ruin the game isn’t it

From this research we see we have those who are weary of the idea and those who agree, Plus a loony. Semajal preferred to add limping to the realism instead of psychical pain, while Absolut Neo likes the idea and wants more pain. (Should we be worried?)

Although we want games to be more real to us and are excited about the thoughts of being in the game, it seems most of us are afraid to take this next step. This idea is cheap and easy to set up, but there are those who would rather only control the character rather then feel the character and what he or she goes through. Until this happens, we will never fully become part of the third world.
Thu 14/11/02 at 08:25
Regular
"The flux capacitor!"
KR wrote:
> good post.
>
> I think being shocked would make you more cautious BUT it would ruin
> the game, because after all they are JUST games, we just want to play
> a video game. If i wanted it be shocked whilst being tackled on a
> football game it would just be easier to go out and play football.

I like the dual shock feature in games like MGS2 but I think that full body shock would spoil the game, as it might go over the top and end up not being realistic, but just plain stupid...

:P
Sat 09/11/02 at 15:28
"griever"
youre plain insane because the rain in spain falls mainly on the insane
Sat 09/11/02 at 15:23
Regular
"  "
FinalFantasyFanatic wrote:
> †HÊ_MÅMÃÑ wrote:
> we want pain cause were in sane
>
> Ahem.
> We want pain because we're insane.
> Ahem

Ahem
We want pain because we're in Spain.
Ahem.
Sat 09/11/02 at 13:46
"griever"
what in spira is going on here
Sat 09/11/02 at 13:37
"period drama"
†HÊ_MÅMÃÑ wrote:

Ahem.
We want pain because we're insane.
Ahem
Sat 09/11/02 at 12:50
"griever"
Manda†are wrote:
> SleepingLionheart wrote:
> come on reply
>
> Well some of us have a life instead of staying here 24/7.

unlike people who want to electrocuted
Fri 08/11/02 at 22:33
Regular
"Max Power"
we want pain cause were in sane
we want pain cause were in sane
Fri 08/11/02 at 22:30
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
If you got shot in the nuts, do you want your controller to kick you hard in the nuts?

Idiot.
Fri 08/11/02 at 22:20
"period drama"
Aha!
Little kids, come here and jump off this cliff.
*bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz*
Mwu-ha-ha-har.

If it hurt, it'd put you off. You don't want to be hurt when you are having fun. And you'd just get pssed off.
Fri 08/11/02 at 22:11
Regular
"Conversation Killer"
SleepingLionheart wrote:
> come on reply

Well some of us have a life instead of staying here 24/7.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.