GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Ten reasons why I love Vice City! (Minor Spoilers)"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Grand Theft Auto: Vice City'.
Sat 09/11/02 at 14:22
Regular
Like probably 99% of the PS2 owning population I've just bought Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, and I love it already! Here's ten reasons why:

1: Vice City C64:
Boot up the game and the Rockstar logo is displayed, neatly incorporated into an old Commodore C64 style tape loading screen, complete with very cheesy synth music. 80's retro from the outset. Fantastic!

2: Finding your feet:
Play through the first few opening missions and you start to get that feeling you got when you played GTA3 for the first time. The feeling that you're embarking upon a journey that will destroy your social life, ruin your career/school grades and turn you into a recluse for several months. But what's more, you don't care!

3: Two Wheels on my Wagon:
Easy to fall off they may be, but it doesn't matter. Motorbikes in GTA:VC rule. They make travelling from point to point in Vice City's narrow streets so much easier, as you can dash through alleys, nip through tiny gaps in the traffic, and bust wheelies and stoppies whilst you do it! The motorbikes are not so hot when the law come after you though...

4: Miami Vice:
Notch up three wanted stars and a pair of "Crockett and Tubbs" style Vice City detectives come after you in their pastel suits and unmarked sports car, packing Uzi's. Probably the biggest nod in the direction of Miami Vice that I've seen, and an amusing surprise no doubt.

5: 80's Radio:
I didn't realise that there were so many 80's tunes that I knew the words too. Well, the chorus at least. Still, Rockstar have done a fantastic job picking out a superb selection of sublime 80's hits to fill the radio stations playlists. Probably wise not to stick Emotion 98.3 on in front of your parents though, unless you want to hear your mum singing "I just died in your arms tonight" to you for the rest of the year. Or maybe that's just my mum?

6: Familiarities:
Stick on the radio and along with the classic 80's cheese, you'll be reunited with all your favourite radio stars from GTA3. Fernadez the pimp hosts a station, the floozie who sleeps with rockstars is still telling her tales, and most importantly, Lazlow hosts the rock station! Hurrah! Also, many of the cars in Vice City are predecessors of cars that appeared in GTA3...it makes perfect sense, but I don't think that i'd have thought to do it. It's good to see that Rockstar have taken care to build continuity between GTA:VC and GTA3, as it really helps merge the two games together.

7: The Colonel and Gonzalez:
An early mission sees a character known as "The Colonel" request that you rub out one of his former associates. But how? One of The Colonel's assistants brings an item over, and The Colonel slides it across the table to you. The Chainsaw! One of the moments that I'd been waiting for, it feels superb to go looking for blood with this monstrosity in your hands. Brrrrr brum-brum-brum Brrrrrrrrr!

8: Ray Liotta:
Tommy, your character, finally has a voice. And it's a very cool voice! Controversial maybe, but in my opinion giving Tommy a voice is a very good thing. The fact that the guy in GTA3 never said a single word made him seem like a bit of a retard...

9: The Cops:
A strange thing to like about Vice City, but the police AI has been overhauled and is now superb. Rather than blunder into you like a pack of enraged stockcar racers, the police now try to nudge your car into a spin, as well as laying stingers to blow out the tyres. They also go after other Vice City citizens who cause crimes. However, it's still disappointing that if i punch someone I get arrested, yet if I run a red light in my truck, and slam headlong into a police car they do nothing! I guess you can't have everything.

10: Wild rides:
The cars in Vice City now often have several people in them. Steal a car that is full of people and, if you drive off fast enough, some of them won't have chance to get out! Then listen to them howl with terror as you race maniacally around town! Very amusing!

There are many more things that I'm sure I'll pick up on the more and more that I play this game. It is packed with detail. It still isn't perfect though. It seems to take an abnormally long time to load when first booted up, and the transition between indoors and outdoors takes a long time too. Still, My first impressions are that Vice City is a class game.

So, what things do you love about it? Lets hear your thoughts...
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Sat 09/11/02 at 14:22
"...Unicef pennies.."
Like probably 99% of the PS2 owning population I've just bought Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, and I love it already! Here's ten reasons why:

1: Vice City C64:
Boot up the game and the Rockstar logo is displayed, neatly incorporated into an old Commodore C64 style tape loading screen, complete with very cheesy synth music. 80's retro from the outset. Fantastic!

2: Finding your feet:
Play through the first few opening missions and you start to get that feeling you got when you played GTA3 for the first time. The feeling that you're embarking upon a journey that will destroy your social life, ruin your career/school grades and turn you into a recluse for several months. But what's more, you don't care!

3: Two Wheels on my Wagon:
Easy to fall off they may be, but it doesn't matter. Motorbikes in GTA:VC rule. They make travelling from point to point in Vice City's narrow streets so much easier, as you can dash through alleys, nip through tiny gaps in the traffic, and bust wheelies and stoppies whilst you do it! The motorbikes are not so hot when the law come after you though...

4: Miami Vice:
Notch up three wanted stars and a pair of "Crockett and Tubbs" style Vice City detectives come after you in their pastel suits and unmarked sports car, packing Uzi's. Probably the biggest nod in the direction of Miami Vice that I've seen, and an amusing surprise no doubt.

5: 80's Radio:
I didn't realise that there were so many 80's tunes that I knew the words too. Well, the chorus at least. Still, Rockstar have done a fantastic job picking out a superb selection of sublime 80's hits to fill the radio stations playlists. Probably wise not to stick Emotion 98.3 on in front of your parents though, unless you want to hear your mum singing "I just died in your arms tonight" to you for the rest of the year. Or maybe that's just my mum?

6: Familiarities:
Stick on the radio and along with the classic 80's cheese, you'll be reunited with all your favourite radio stars from GTA3. Fernadez the pimp hosts a station, the floozie who sleeps with rockstars is still telling her tales, and most importantly, Lazlow hosts the rock station! Hurrah! Also, many of the cars in Vice City are predecessors of cars that appeared in GTA3...it makes perfect sense, but I don't think that i'd have thought to do it. It's good to see that Rockstar have taken care to build continuity between GTA:VC and GTA3, as it really helps merge the two games together.

7: The Colonel and Gonzalez:
An early mission sees a character known as "The Colonel" request that you rub out one of his former associates. But how? One of The Colonel's assistants brings an item over, and The Colonel slides it across the table to you. The Chainsaw! One of the moments that I'd been waiting for, it feels superb to go looking for blood with this monstrosity in your hands. Brrrrr brum-brum-brum Brrrrrrrrr!

8: Ray Liotta:
Tommy, your character, finally has a voice. And it's a very cool voice! Controversial maybe, but in my opinion giving Tommy a voice is a very good thing. The fact that the guy in GTA3 never said a single word made him seem like a bit of a retard...

9: The Cops:
A strange thing to like about Vice City, but the police AI has been overhauled and is now superb. Rather than blunder into you like a pack of enraged stockcar racers, the police now try to nudge your car into a spin, as well as laying stingers to blow out the tyres. They also go after other Vice City citizens who cause crimes. However, it's still disappointing that if i punch someone I get arrested, yet if I run a red light in my truck, and slam headlong into a police car they do nothing! I guess you can't have everything.

10: Wild rides:
The cars in Vice City now often have several people in them. Steal a car that is full of people and, if you drive off fast enough, some of them won't have chance to get out! Then listen to them howl with terror as you race maniacally around town! Very amusing!

There are many more things that I'm sure I'll pick up on the more and more that I play this game. It is packed with detail. It still isn't perfect though. It seems to take an abnormally long time to load when first booted up, and the transition between indoors and outdoors takes a long time too. Still, My first impressions are that Vice City is a class game.

So, what things do you love about it? Lets hear your thoughts...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.