GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Rare Speaks...."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 09/11/02 at 15:41
Regular
''I can't give you a full and frank corporate explanation of the decision beyond what's already available on the site, but here's my take on the whole thing: it was a business decision,'' mutters the anonymous Rare employee.

''This is a business. The people who laid the foundations of Rare 20 years ago and still run it to this day have every right to choose their own roads through the industry, and the need to survive and evolve as a company doesn't necessarily cancel out the urge to go on making damn good games. Also, Rare is not totally oblivious to the fact that the ups and downs of the gaming world mean a lot more to some people than others, and it goes without saying that nobody here set out to do anything as self-destructive as intentionally causing bad feeling within the established fanbase.'' Mr X continues.

''Trust me when I say that none of the decisions made over the last few months were made lightly.
At the end of the day, however, it's not as if Rare has stopped making games entirely. We're still out there, still working as hard as ever. All that's changed is the platform, as it has many times before in the past (something the Timeline was meant to emphasise), and I don't see how you can argue the case for any kind of 'betrayal' when there's still a solid relationship with Nintendo in place - how do you think we intended to manage future GBA development without it?''

''For myself, I'd like to thank all of you who took the time to send in death threats and personal abuse, as it made the email-reading ritual every morning something to really look forward to. Thanks a lot.''

Ooh er, that went on for quite a bit. To be perfectly honest I was damn angry when Rare announced they were leaving Nintendo for good. Not only because I wouldn't see their games gracing my beloved Cube, but also it marked an end of an era. Call me sentimental, but Rare and Nintendo fitted together so perfectly. Like Morecambe and Wise, the two Ronnies, Delboy and Rodney (ok, so a bad example), they were starcrossed lovers who so ultimately couldn't make it through. Their 'apology' offers no consolation towards this. Microsoft and Rare? It makes me sick. Who's next on Wild O' Bill's plan for mass market domination? Nintendo?

The only remotely satisifying part of their apology comes with their Gameboy Advance development confirmation. Banjo Kazooie: Grunty's Revenge is still on the cards, yet Diddy Kong Pilot now seems undestined for release. Times are hard, but Nintendo always pull through. Time for some sleep I think . .

-------

From the Scribes ection of Rare......via Cube Europe.
Sun 10/11/02 at 14:07
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
I have a plan! And it's full proof. Trust me, if Nintendo stick to these guidelines then everything will work out perfectly.

1) Shigsy goes to have a business meeting privately with Bill Gates.

2) He then knocks out Bill, takes him out the back door and rendezvous' with a street bum acting as a kidnapper (in case there are any witnesses).

3) They all put on disguises and fly privately back to Japan, where a limo is awaiting them to take them to Nintendo headquarters.

4) Once there, the bum is disposed of cleanly and a note is sent to Microsoft. The note reads: "If you want Bill back then you better hand Rare back over to Nintendo."

4) Nintendo of course, also claim they recieved a note saying: "If you want Shigsy back you better pay me $1 million."

5) The cops will therefore think both Bill and Shigsy were kidnapped by some Nintendo fan who also wants lots of money.

6) Microsoft then hand Rare back to Nintendo.

7) Nintendo tell the police they handled the Shigsy situation themselves as the kidnapper instructed them.

8) A few days later, Bill's body is found with a suicide note (written by the bum before he was killed of course) reading: "I hate what I have become - Please give all my money to Nintendo and tell Sega to make Shenmue for Nintendo."

9) A happy ending sees Shigsy and Rare with Nintendo, and Microsoft with nothing.

Alternatively, instead of stage 8, while Nintendo are holding Bill they can apply the 'vibrating palm' to him (as seen on Quincy). I'm sure someone in Nintendo is skilled enough in this deadly manouvre to time the death perfectly. If using this method, then the bum is not disposed of. Instead, he is sent to the airport with a gun and Bill, ready to release him to the waiting cops. However, Bill suddenly falls down dead from the vibrating palm, and the bum panics. He still has his gun, and the cops shoot him. Using this method, Nintendo will not get all Microsoft's money or Shenmue but they will get to kill Bill with the vibrating fist!!

And since Quincy isn't real, no one will work out he died!!
Sun 10/11/02 at 13:41
Regular
Nobody is buying SEGA.

Not while they're still making Shenmue at least.
Sun 10/11/02 at 13:36
Regular
"bit of a brain"
And then I could play Shenmue III. Ah yes.
Sun 10/11/02 at 13:27
Regular
Nintendo should buy SEGA, what with the huge support they're getting.
Sun 10/11/02 at 01:54
Regular
Buy SEGA? Bill gates wouldn't be able to catch Sonic!!!! :D

Sonic would say: SEEYOULATERALLIGATOR!!!!!!!!!!

Bill:*puffs and pants*
Sonic: *blows raspberry*
Mario: Come-a with a-me, Mr. hedgehog!
(sonic agrees to Mario's offer)
Nelson(from Simpsons):*points at bill gates* HA-HA!!
Sat 09/11/02 at 23:28
Regular
"Remember me?"
Strafex wrote:
Mr X?

Isn't he Action Man's arch nemesis? Or was he a doctor? Hmmm...
Sat 09/11/02 at 23:24
Regular
Mr X?

This is an answer from the scribes - the Rareware site equivilant of SR's very own moderators! Rare's answers to this sort of thing are always tongue in cheek.

What they should have REALLY said to those "why did you leave Nintendo?" posts is:

"Nintendo could've bought us out but THEY chose to sell us to Microsoft. Go and pester them you inbreds!" :-D

That would've told 'em! ;-D
Sat 09/11/02 at 18:50
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Are people STILL going on about MS trying to buy Nintendo? All they did was place a bid on the company for an unknown amount to see if they could buy them. Ninty's owners said no. Big deal.

What was far more interesting was MS trying to buy Sega at the time when the company was in serious financial ruin. As it happens, Sega's old boss gave the company millions in shares, and the company will now be the second biggest publisher in the world in a year or two.

Sonic
Sat 09/11/02 at 17:47
Regular
"^_^"
It isn't really popular anymore. It kind of faded away!
Sat 09/11/02 at 17:39
Regular
but it really took off in 1998-2000

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.