GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The search for Gaming's Holy Grail"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 16/03/02 at 20:17
Regular
‘Do you think I’m going to find it?’
‘I’m not sure.’

I’m on the search for the Holy Grail. A game, which surpasses all the rest. A game with graphics that never been seen before. Gameplay that makes you keep on coming back. Now, with the arrival of the Next-Gen consoles this should be pretty easy. I did say should!

People say that the Classics are the best. Others disagree. They say recent games are the best.

Each consoles their best game(s) that everyone buys. But which one is the best of the lot? Mario, Sonic Metroid. All quality games that are being remade on the Next-Gen consoles. They all have the replay value and now, hopefully there’ll have the graphics and the sounds. So with all this put together we might have some of the best games ever?

Or, have we already got them, MGS2, Zelda, and Final Fantasy? The list could go on. So here are my top games from 10 to 6.

10) Banjo-Kazooie - N64
A bear and his Bird simulator from uber-N64 coders Rare. It was the UK developers attempt to do Mario 64. It never reached those heights despite its technical tightness, but it’s still very welcome in the top 10. I have chosen this game because it was one of the Nintendo 64’s best and still remains one of them.

9) Goldeneye - N64
Goldeneye proved that it was possible to make a good game from a licensed movie. Well, not just a good game, a masterpiece. It’s the first person shooting adventure of the 007 films, which keeps a faithful plot. Bond was great- you had the music, the gadgets- but as soon as you tried the Sniper Rifle for the first time

8) ISS Pro Evolution - PS2
The best football/sport game ever made. The way the game moves feels really smooth and the passing and shooting techniques are excellent. If only FIFA was as good.

7) Pokemon Gold - Game boy Colour
Pokemon is the gaming phenomenon of the last year. It’s turn-based battles and exploring aren’t ground breaking stuff, but the sheer desire to ’catch ‘em all’ borders on the obsessional. Scary!

6) Street Fighter 2 – SNES

It’s the cool original flavour of Capcom’s master beater that has found a special place in my heart and mind. This 2-D combo happy spectacular has inspired numerous Turbo’s, Zero’s and Ex’s, a feature film and nearly every beat ‘em up since.

‘Well we have found these little gems, but where are the Big ones?’
‘I don’t know… Wait, what’s that?’

5) Perfect Dark – N64
This game beats Goldeneye. Rare’s follow up to their Bond classic really took its time to coming. It tested the patience somewhat but it was worth the wait. This is one humdinger of a game and it’s riddled with features that push Ninty’s Console to the limit.

4) Shenmue 1 & 2 - Dreamcast (RIP)
These games pushed the Dreamcast to the limit. I thought ‘WOW’ when I saw the amount of detail in the first game, but when I saw the second, I was speechless. If you like Adventure games these are for you.

3) Mario Kart – N64
The younger but stronger of the Mario Kart Brothers. Equally as simply as its predecessors but had the power to process four way action which makes it irrestible multi-player action. You ‘ll just keep on coming back to this game.

2) Metal Gear Solid 2 –Playstation 2
This game is practically a movie. I love everything about it. Hiding in lockers, hanging off walls. All of this game is brilliant. The cut scenes especially.

‘Is that it?’
‘Yes, I think it is’
‘We have done what no one else has done!’

1) Zelda: Majora’s Mask
This is it. The game of all games. This game is the best game ever made. Is anyone going to make a better game? I don’t know. This game is quality through and through. There is so much to do. Its great fun.

‘What do you think of the ‘Holy Grail?’
Sat 16/03/02 at 20:17
Regular
‘Do you think I’m going to find it?’
‘I’m not sure.’

I’m on the search for the Holy Grail. A game, which surpasses all the rest. A game with graphics that never been seen before. Gameplay that makes you keep on coming back. Now, with the arrival of the Next-Gen consoles this should be pretty easy. I did say should!

People say that the Classics are the best. Others disagree. They say recent games are the best.

Each consoles their best game(s) that everyone buys. But which one is the best of the lot? Mario, Sonic Metroid. All quality games that are being remade on the Next-Gen consoles. They all have the replay value and now, hopefully there’ll have the graphics and the sounds. So with all this put together we might have some of the best games ever?

Or, have we already got them, MGS2, Zelda, and Final Fantasy? The list could go on. So here are my top games from 10 to 6.

10) Banjo-Kazooie - N64
A bear and his Bird simulator from uber-N64 coders Rare. It was the UK developers attempt to do Mario 64. It never reached those heights despite its technical tightness, but it’s still very welcome in the top 10. I have chosen this game because it was one of the Nintendo 64’s best and still remains one of them.

9) Goldeneye - N64
Goldeneye proved that it was possible to make a good game from a licensed movie. Well, not just a good game, a masterpiece. It’s the first person shooting adventure of the 007 films, which keeps a faithful plot. Bond was great- you had the music, the gadgets- but as soon as you tried the Sniper Rifle for the first time

8) ISS Pro Evolution - PS2
The best football/sport game ever made. The way the game moves feels really smooth and the passing and shooting techniques are excellent. If only FIFA was as good.

7) Pokemon Gold - Game boy Colour
Pokemon is the gaming phenomenon of the last year. It’s turn-based battles and exploring aren’t ground breaking stuff, but the sheer desire to ’catch ‘em all’ borders on the obsessional. Scary!

6) Street Fighter 2 – SNES

It’s the cool original flavour of Capcom’s master beater that has found a special place in my heart and mind. This 2-D combo happy spectacular has inspired numerous Turbo’s, Zero’s and Ex’s, a feature film and nearly every beat ‘em up since.

‘Well we have found these little gems, but where are the Big ones?’
‘I don’t know… Wait, what’s that?’

5) Perfect Dark – N64
This game beats Goldeneye. Rare’s follow up to their Bond classic really took its time to coming. It tested the patience somewhat but it was worth the wait. This is one humdinger of a game and it’s riddled with features that push Ninty’s Console to the limit.

4) Shenmue 1 & 2 - Dreamcast (RIP)
These games pushed the Dreamcast to the limit. I thought ‘WOW’ when I saw the amount of detail in the first game, but when I saw the second, I was speechless. If you like Adventure games these are for you.

3) Mario Kart – N64
The younger but stronger of the Mario Kart Brothers. Equally as simply as its predecessors but had the power to process four way action which makes it irrestible multi-player action. You ‘ll just keep on coming back to this game.

2) Metal Gear Solid 2 –Playstation 2
This game is practically a movie. I love everything about it. Hiding in lockers, hanging off walls. All of this game is brilliant. The cut scenes especially.

‘Is that it?’
‘Yes, I think it is’
‘We have done what no one else has done!’

1) Zelda: Majora’s Mask
This is it. The game of all games. This game is the best game ever made. Is anyone going to make a better game? I don’t know. This game is quality through and through. There is so much to do. Its great fun.

‘What do you think of the ‘Holy Grail?’
Sat 16/03/02 at 21:10
Regular
good post

but where's Ocarina of Time????
Sat 16/03/02 at 22:43
Great post, but why the complete lack of PC games?
Sun 17/03/02 at 09:37
Regular
Thanks. I didn't include Pc games because these are my top 10 games, and I don't play any PC games altough I think Command and Conquer is a very good game.
Sun 17/03/02 at 09:56
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
RM18 wrote:
> good post

but where's Ocarina of Time????

true - that is a classic
Sun 17/03/02 at 09:57
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
I also think the Monkey Island games on PC are classics
Sun 17/03/02 at 09:57
Regular
What did you think of the actual post
Sun 17/03/02 at 09:59
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
yeh its a good post
Sun 17/03/02 at 10:28
Regular
"Fear my wrath..."
I'd say Ocarina of Time was better than Majoras Mask as it is
1) longer
2) it was original at the time
3) It was a masterpiece
Sun 17/03/02 at 10:32
Regular
Forget about Ocarina of Time, where's Mario 64?????

Hey Rakuga, nice tagline, shame about the unfortunate circumstances

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.