GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"UNCREDITED GENIUS - marketing modern consoles"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 16/03/02 at 18:26
Regular
[to anyone wondering, yes this is a copy of a post I made in FOG Chat a few days back, but it didn't receive much attention. Either it's preety poor and no-one had anything to respond to it with, or it just got lost in the sea of obscurity that dominates FOG chat]

UNCREDITED GENIUS - marketing modern consoles
---------------------------------------------

Maybe, just maybe, Microsoft [and indeed Sony] haven't been fairly credited for their genius, with regards to their marketing of their respective games consoles.

Marketing, in it's simplest sense, is selling a product to consumers who aren't necessarily prepared to buy the product of their own free will. There's no "selling" involved when somebody has already decided they wish to buy a game or games console. How a company markets their products is irrelevant when you're already willing to buy a product. People were willing to rush out and buy the Playstation2 at launch, and many needed NO convincing buy any elaborate marketing scheme.

So, marketing is about convincing those who aren't interested in a particular product, [or aren't totally convinced of it's worth] that it really is worth purchasing.

Now, I've spent many hours discussing recent game marketing [and most notably the marketing of the PS2 and Xbox] with college friends as we embark on our own advert production assignment. The simple fact is, none of the four immediate members of my production team [or any of the other groups we've talked with] found themselves particularly compelled to buy either the PS2 or Xbox on the basis of the TV/Print adverts that Sony and Microsoft used during the months leading up to their hardware releases. Asked briefly to sum up their feelings on the adverts Sony have been using since the release of their console, many people starred blankly as they searched for the words to explain their thoughts on the advertising methods. The same can also be said of those we asked about Microsoft's marketing techniques.

It would seem MANY people found the adverts confusing, and extremely distant from their purpose. Surely, to sell a games console you should discuss it's gaming credentials; it's low-price, game bundles, etc.? Why Sony and Microsoft opted for their surreal approach to marketing their consoles, nobody could answer. It seemed impossible to believe that anybody would find a guy launching several PS2 into a field, particularly good at persuading you to rush out and buy the games. Although the advert DID mention the new Platinum range titles and their cheap £20 price, most people were left questioning the point of the advert, rather than preparing to visit their local retailer to pick up the new cheap range titles.

It's only natural to look for the meaning in things such as TV adverts, especially when companies like Sony and Microsoft adopt the strangest of strategies when it comes to marketing their products. But, as much as we all looked, no one seems to be able to explain the point of the adverts. There's no sub-context, and the commercials definitely don't lay the hard facts on a plate to entice us to part with our money. We're told of a third place, and shown a new-born going through his entire life, through to old age, neither of which really say much for the actual consoles/games.

How many people went out to buy a console/game on the basis of these adverts? Not many you'd assume. Unless there are people who only found out about the Xbox's existence by way of the advert, surely their purpose wasn't served?

Then again, look at it from the perspective of Sony and Microsoft. They've puzzled us with these strange and apparently "pointless" commercials, made us think, made us question, and made us discuss. It's long been believed that the best way of selling a product is by "word of mouth". After all, there's no wider way of reaching your target audience, than OTHER members of that target audience. You convince one person that something is worth buying, and in time they'll convince someone else, who'll convince someone else, and it goes on. That doesn't necessarily mean that everybody attempts to sell products to their friends, but by simple discussion you can unknowingly convince a friend that a particular game or console is worth buying. If you're THAT excited by a game, you can sell it without even knowing it.

Word of mouth is something NEVER to be underestimated, and it would appear Sony and Microsoft have hit the nail BANG on the head with their respective marketing strategies. We're all talking about their adverts, whether we understand them or not is irrelevant. Whether we're persuaded to buy them by the adverts themselves, is irrelevant. All it takes is one person to ask "does anyone know what that Third Place thing is all about?" and all of a sudden your conversation has turned to the PS2. The question may not be resolved, and you may be left just as confused as you were before, but your discussion now centres on the console, and it's games.

This is where the "word of mouth" point comes in. If one person has already set their mind on buying the console, they'll undoubtedly begin telling their friends about the games, and how great the console is. Suddenly, you've taken an ordinary conversation between friends and turned it into an elaborate marketing scheme. And even if there IS nobody amongst the group who's looking to buy the console, there's still discussion, and where's there's discussion there's still a chance.

It's a clever way of making US talk. Word of mouth IS going to sell their consoles and games, and whether or not there really is a meaning to the adverts, there's still a degree of planning involved with their marketing. It was always known that even those who didn't necessarily "get" the meaning or point of the adverts would still participate in discussion with friends.

Maybe there's an argument that this ISN'T their marketing strategy, but surely it was something considered by the marketing teams when deciding upon how best to sell the product. After all, these people earn big money because of their genius, and even if this whole "word of mouth" scenario wasn't their number one concern when developing the adverts, the fact that we're all talking as a result of the adverts is a bonus.

I don't think we've been entirely fair on Sony and Microsoft. As far as I'm concerned, there's a lot of uncredited genius there.
Sat 16/03/02 at 18:26
Regular
"Is'not Dave... sorr"
[to anyone wondering, yes this is a copy of a post I made in FOG Chat a few days back, but it didn't receive much attention. Either it's preety poor and no-one had anything to respond to it with, or it just got lost in the sea of obscurity that dominates FOG chat]

UNCREDITED GENIUS - marketing modern consoles
---------------------------------------------

Maybe, just maybe, Microsoft [and indeed Sony] haven't been fairly credited for their genius, with regards to their marketing of their respective games consoles.

Marketing, in it's simplest sense, is selling a product to consumers who aren't necessarily prepared to buy the product of their own free will. There's no "selling" involved when somebody has already decided they wish to buy a game or games console. How a company markets their products is irrelevant when you're already willing to buy a product. People were willing to rush out and buy the Playstation2 at launch, and many needed NO convincing buy any elaborate marketing scheme.

So, marketing is about convincing those who aren't interested in a particular product, [or aren't totally convinced of it's worth] that it really is worth purchasing.

Now, I've spent many hours discussing recent game marketing [and most notably the marketing of the PS2 and Xbox] with college friends as we embark on our own advert production assignment. The simple fact is, none of the four immediate members of my production team [or any of the other groups we've talked with] found themselves particularly compelled to buy either the PS2 or Xbox on the basis of the TV/Print adverts that Sony and Microsoft used during the months leading up to their hardware releases. Asked briefly to sum up their feelings on the adverts Sony have been using since the release of their console, many people starred blankly as they searched for the words to explain their thoughts on the advertising methods. The same can also be said of those we asked about Microsoft's marketing techniques.

It would seem MANY people found the adverts confusing, and extremely distant from their purpose. Surely, to sell a games console you should discuss it's gaming credentials; it's low-price, game bundles, etc.? Why Sony and Microsoft opted for their surreal approach to marketing their consoles, nobody could answer. It seemed impossible to believe that anybody would find a guy launching several PS2 into a field, particularly good at persuading you to rush out and buy the games. Although the advert DID mention the new Platinum range titles and their cheap £20 price, most people were left questioning the point of the advert, rather than preparing to visit their local retailer to pick up the new cheap range titles.

It's only natural to look for the meaning in things such as TV adverts, especially when companies like Sony and Microsoft adopt the strangest of strategies when it comes to marketing their products. But, as much as we all looked, no one seems to be able to explain the point of the adverts. There's no sub-context, and the commercials definitely don't lay the hard facts on a plate to entice us to part with our money. We're told of a third place, and shown a new-born going through his entire life, through to old age, neither of which really say much for the actual consoles/games.

How many people went out to buy a console/game on the basis of these adverts? Not many you'd assume. Unless there are people who only found out about the Xbox's existence by way of the advert, surely their purpose wasn't served?

Then again, look at it from the perspective of Sony and Microsoft. They've puzzled us with these strange and apparently "pointless" commercials, made us think, made us question, and made us discuss. It's long been believed that the best way of selling a product is by "word of mouth". After all, there's no wider way of reaching your target audience, than OTHER members of that target audience. You convince one person that something is worth buying, and in time they'll convince someone else, who'll convince someone else, and it goes on. That doesn't necessarily mean that everybody attempts to sell products to their friends, but by simple discussion you can unknowingly convince a friend that a particular game or console is worth buying. If you're THAT excited by a game, you can sell it without even knowing it.

Word of mouth is something NEVER to be underestimated, and it would appear Sony and Microsoft have hit the nail BANG on the head with their respective marketing strategies. We're all talking about their adverts, whether we understand them or not is irrelevant. Whether we're persuaded to buy them by the adverts themselves, is irrelevant. All it takes is one person to ask "does anyone know what that Third Place thing is all about?" and all of a sudden your conversation has turned to the PS2. The question may not be resolved, and you may be left just as confused as you were before, but your discussion now centres on the console, and it's games.

This is where the "word of mouth" point comes in. If one person has already set their mind on buying the console, they'll undoubtedly begin telling their friends about the games, and how great the console is. Suddenly, you've taken an ordinary conversation between friends and turned it into an elaborate marketing scheme. And even if there IS nobody amongst the group who's looking to buy the console, there's still discussion, and where's there's discussion there's still a chance.

It's a clever way of making US talk. Word of mouth IS going to sell their consoles and games, and whether or not there really is a meaning to the adverts, there's still a degree of planning involved with their marketing. It was always known that even those who didn't necessarily "get" the meaning or point of the adverts would still participate in discussion with friends.

Maybe there's an argument that this ISN'T their marketing strategy, but surely it was something considered by the marketing teams when deciding upon how best to sell the product. After all, these people earn big money because of their genius, and even if this whole "word of mouth" scenario wasn't their number one concern when developing the adverts, the fact that we're all talking as a result of the adverts is a bonus.

I don't think we've been entirely fair on Sony and Microsoft. As far as I'm concerned, there's a lot of uncredited genius there.
Sat 16/03/02 at 19:10
Regular
good post...I don't post serious topics in FOG chat anymore as no one answers
Sat 16/03/02 at 19:11
Regular
would you read my post on killer apps? cheers
Sat 16/03/02 at 19:16
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
RM18 wrote:
> would you read my post on killer apps? cheers

No offence mate but would you stop asking people to do read it, I have seen countless posts like this throughout the day.
Don't force people to read your topic, people will read it if it appeals to them. I'm not having a go it is just people may jump down your throat if you keep on posting the same post all over the forums asking the same thing over and over.
Sat 16/03/02 at 19:19
Regular
point taken

sorry, won't do it again

message received and understood

cheers aliboy
Sat 16/03/02 at 21:15
Regular
"Is'not Dave... sorr"
RM18 wrote:
> good post...I don't post serious topics in FOG chat anymore as no one answers

Yeah, i've learnt that lesson. I just saw a number of topics about the adverts for Xbox and PS2, and thought it was a good time to give my feelings on the matter. If i'd thought about it i'd probably have posted it here first time round.
Sun 17/03/02 at 00:18
Regular
"[SE] Acetrooper"
Speaking of which, wouldn't you say that the PS2 'Third Place' adverts are having a run for their money when it comes down to weirdness?

Yes, the Xbox adverts is what I'm on about.

What the fu...

?

The funny thing is, I enjoyed them! I couldn't stop laughing for some strange reason with the Insect-producing-music-one, and the quicly-ageing-kid was just weird, yet entertaining.

Bah, they're better than the PS2 ones, I s'pose....
Sun 17/03/02 at 00:56
Regular
"Is'not Dave... sorr"
Well, one thing's for sure, both Microsoft and Sony have spent a LOT of money on marketing their products, and JUST for that you have to beleive it's all paying off.
Sun 17/03/02 at 09:16
Regular
Yeah, I agree with you, nice one

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.