GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Next Big Step"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 13/11/07 at 14:37
Regular
"THFC"
Most of us reading this will be able to recall some of the great old games which built our childhood - Mario, Tetris, Pac-Man and loads more, some of you may even remember games even older.

These games were so much harder, and i have tried playing them again, i mean like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on the NES, tried that on the Wii the other day, died quicker than i could say Leonardo!

Having to enter passwords to get back to the stages you have used all your free time getting too. This was just how games were back then, simple addictive, incredibley hard in some places, but we all loved it and couldnt get enough.

These old games shaped the way our new consoles went, i recall the leap to the N64, the graphics were amazing, the gameplay was smooth and everything seemed better. The games were easier, you saved onto a cartridge and having 4 players on Goldeneye will be a great Memory for me and many other people in my life.

Ps2, X-box, Gamecube, the next step on, which Final Fantasy X pushing graphics so far it looked like a movie. Games that were so big and had unbelievable amounts of detail. Gaming was becoming more real, and it had taken things from all the previous consoles and just gotten, bigger and better. So many good games have be spawned in what is not a huge amount of time, i think Mario is the biggest selling, with the likes of Final Fantasy, Donkey Kong and the Sims all being up there.

So where will things be going after this generation of consoles? Virtual Reality? Can the graphics get any better? Just wondering what some of your views on this are, i mean look at the difference between pac-man and Call of Duty 4, and its not a massive amount of time. Kind of wish you were just at the stage of buying your first console now so you had so much to look forward to (but the the prices these days you need to be working to get the most out of it!)

Look forward tp hearing some of your thoughts on this and where you think the Gaming Industry will go, obviousley the big games will remain - Mario, Zelda, Final Fantasy etc but how will they make a big difference in them?

Thanks
Wed 14/11/07 at 19:15
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Very_Metal wrote:
> and yes, graphics will indeed get better, along with a fair few
> other things.. you should see what`s coming *knowing smile* ;)

I already thought of the sock controller a few posts back, anything else after that will be a poor second.
Wed 14/11/07 at 17:18
Regular
"you've got a beard"
TMNT on the nes was indeed wonderful, i had it on the c64 ask well (ask you parents ;) )
didn`t like the new version, twas the cack :(

and yes, graphics will indeed get better, along with a fair few other things.. you should see what`s coming *knowing smile* ;)
Wed 14/11/07 at 13:10
"possibly impossible"
More interaction online as speeds get faster (well, one day) will be the big thing for the next generation. Online has worked well and sold well, which is always a driver. At the moment HD is still up-and-coming in the general home, so no further steps would be made short of making sure everything can run in 1080p. I see developers looking at building online events seamlessly in to the game and the hardware will need to support this.

Possibly linking games together and cross-platform online support may appear in the next generation.

Graphics are always going to improve as standard with any new console. It's not just all about the amount of polygons either, but the processor being able to handle physics, particle effects etc for a more believable world.

Look at any game now and you'll see parts of that game world and character which just don't look lifelike. Even in racing games, where realism seems to be highest, the crowd and trackside detail aren't always lifelike.

But then not every game aims to be lifelike, though these require better graphics for other reason.

Virtual world 3D won't happen in a way that matters. Not in the next 2 generations unless something major happens. Why? It relies on peripherals, and this limits users which equals less profits. When the technology exists that doesn't rely on a specific peripheral, including crappy glasses, then virtual reality will take off.
Wed 14/11/07 at 12:56
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
I think we can say with certainty the next big step will involve yet another Mario game. Super Duper Mario Multiverse controlled via a motion sensitive sock. Nearly everyone will proclaim it as the best thing since sliced bread despite Nintendo yet again producing the same old mario game with a bit more polish. I say nearly everyone because of course they'll still be that hardcore element proclaiming its not as good as Mario 64.
Wed 14/11/07 at 01:38
Regular
Well, this past weekend, I took the step into the PS2 world with my little boy :) We played the Lego StarWars game and we got to the seventh level (out of 99 I think), when I got totally stuck. Psh. Trying to find some hints or cheats on that.. then I'll be a righteous mom with skilz. :)
Tue 13/11/07 at 22:13
Regular
The Future of Gaming! FOGFOGFOGFOGfogfogfogfog

I swear I won my first GAD with something similar to this

The biggest change I see isn't graphics so much, but the whole style of the way a game is made. Plotwise, everything's going very Hollywood. It's not longer just about saving the princess, it's about saving the princess and the TWISTS AND TURNS along the way

Sorry but the princess is in another castle, for example

There's a lot more emotion involved in games, and if you look at the big sellers recently, Halo 3, Bioshock, and other upcoming games.. it's all about putting you inside a 'story'. Kinda making you feel as if you're part of something bigger.

Interactive films, in other words.

And then of course, multiplayer.. Xbox live is really taking off now, and if a game comes out you expect it to be, well, yeah

The PC scene has had this for years, but now it's changing to sitting room/headset/foul mouthed American 9 year olds taking up the gauntlet and allowing a community into your own home

Allowing the general competitive nature of people to flourish as they fight against people all over the world

Personally I'm not interested. I've gone off games in the same way that I'm slowly beginning to go off films too. Books! Books are my new joy. Sitting down and reading a story.

I do see however something coming in the future, and that's games that are controlled by your own imagination. Once we hit that, that'll be it. Everyone will try to create games 'beyond your imagination', and it'll sell to a few people, but once you can control your own worlds, nobody will want to play pre-made games for a while.

Naturally they'll get bored of it, and they'll have to place some sort of competition factor into the game, to challenge you against yourself, and more importantly, against others. One time, and maybe not far away, we'll be competing not by our ability to aim a joystick and hit targets, but by the depth of our own imagination.
Tue 13/11/07 at 14:37
Regular
"THFC"
Most of us reading this will be able to recall some of the great old games which built our childhood - Mario, Tetris, Pac-Man and loads more, some of you may even remember games even older.

These games were so much harder, and i have tried playing them again, i mean like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on the NES, tried that on the Wii the other day, died quicker than i could say Leonardo!

Having to enter passwords to get back to the stages you have used all your free time getting too. This was just how games were back then, simple addictive, incredibley hard in some places, but we all loved it and couldnt get enough.

These old games shaped the way our new consoles went, i recall the leap to the N64, the graphics were amazing, the gameplay was smooth and everything seemed better. The games were easier, you saved onto a cartridge and having 4 players on Goldeneye will be a great Memory for me and many other people in my life.

Ps2, X-box, Gamecube, the next step on, which Final Fantasy X pushing graphics so far it looked like a movie. Games that were so big and had unbelievable amounts of detail. Gaming was becoming more real, and it had taken things from all the previous consoles and just gotten, bigger and better. So many good games have be spawned in what is not a huge amount of time, i think Mario is the biggest selling, with the likes of Final Fantasy, Donkey Kong and the Sims all being up there.

So where will things be going after this generation of consoles? Virtual Reality? Can the graphics get any better? Just wondering what some of your views on this are, i mean look at the difference between pac-man and Call of Duty 4, and its not a massive amount of time. Kind of wish you were just at the stage of buying your first console now so you had so much to look forward to (but the the prices these days you need to be working to get the most out of it!)

Look forward tp hearing some of your thoughts on this and where you think the Gaming Industry will go, obviousley the big games will remain - Mario, Zelda, Final Fantasy etc but how will they make a big difference in them?

Thanks

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.