GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sony ready to push Getaway into the limelight?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'The Getaway'.
Sun 10/11/02 at 14:13
Regular
Well, since the game has been in the making for god knows how long, you would have thought they want to make a mean return on the game, so, are we awaiting a mass push of Promotion for this game?

It might have already started.

Anyone who got a game from SR recently (mine was Vice City on Friday) might have noticed a London A to Z in with the package. Of course it was a fictional one, it was advertising The Getaway, and to be honest, I was really impressed by it!

For those that haven’t seen it. Its a large map on it with, what looks like a A to Z of London, with loads of roads on it and buildings as you would expect to find, but if you look closer, you will notice all the road names are actually cockney sentences, that I presume will be used in the game. Then on the other side there’s the usual info on the game. It was a pretty big piece of material.

The work put into it seems to have been on a high scale, so if Sony are prepared to go that far for a paper presentation, what else can we expect.

Especially with around a month to go till release.
Tue 12/11/02 at 21:58
Regular
"You Bum!!"
Question is boys and girls-will people who live in London get more satisfaction from the game?I mean since I live in London, and if I get the game (which I am not planning on doing) then I can actaully compare the locations with my own memories of various places etc. I suppose it is more of a new experience for those who have never visited London but I still think the game is largely aimed at Londoners or at least people from the South East
Tue 12/11/02 at 20:45
Regular
"Thongs of Praise"
Well I just ordered my copy from SR, they convinced me lol. Even though i didnt think much for the advert that came with VC.
Sun 10/11/02 at 22:38
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
Plonk wrote:
> I'd love to know what areas of London are actually going to be
> featured in the game. They say its like 28 sq miles of london. Will i
> be able to pull up outside my house is what i wanna know :op

Well if there were a group of strange men outside your house taking pictures and making sketches a few months ago, then your house will probably be in it :)
Sun 10/11/02 at 21:41
Regular
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:

> Ortega got his from another company, and that also had the A-Z.

I sure did! I really dont recall writing that on this site though...must be old age creeping in!

I guess Sony are thinking along the lines of "everyone who likes VC will surely be interested in a game like the getaway"

And I doubt Rockstar would mind too much. Didnt Sony pay them off to keep Vice City a PS2 exclusive :)
Sun 10/11/02 at 21:17
Regular
"Thongs of Praise"
I'd love to know what areas of London are actually going to be featured in the game. They say its like 28 sq miles of london. Will i be able to pull up outside my house is what i wanna know :op
Sun 10/11/02 at 16:11
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
Pro Evo wrote:
> Blank wrote:
> To me, this game looks easily as good as Vice City (which I don't
> have, by the way)
>
> You seem to be making a point out of that.

Well someone has to walk the opposite way. But what I meant by that is that I don't have Vice City, so I don't really know what it's like apart from reviews and all the hype.

> I just hope that all there time hasnt just gone into remaking London
> so its 100% accurate.....i want some gameplay in there too!

Yeah - I wouldn't even recognise it, I've never been to London. Kinda wish I had, now...
Sun 10/11/02 at 16:06
Regular
"360: swfcman"
Blank wrote:
> To me, this game looks easily as good as Vice City (which I don't
> have, by the way)

You seem to be making a point out of that.

But yeah, ill be claiming The Getaway with my GAD, so im hoping that Sony doesnt let us down with the game. The have had long enough to make it, so im expecting something special.

I just hope that all there time hasnt just gone into remaking London so its 100% accurate.....i want some gameplay in there too!
Sun 10/11/02 at 15:58
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
To me, this game looks easily as good as Vice City (which I don't have, by the way), but who knows what it'll turn out like? It could go either way really. I'm hoping for the best though :)
Sun 10/11/02 at 15:50
"High polygon count"
sPiKeCaSt wrote:
> the hype for the game has died down quite a bit since it
> was first announced

That's true, but noticably, the comments have got better.

Originally, most of the mags were saying things like "can it compete with Vice City", and commenting on poor handling of hte vehicles etc. PSM2 even declared it practically dead in the water at one point.

But now, opinions appear to be changing. Most mags have said that the handling has been improved, and are appearing to be more and more impressed with it.

For me, it certainly *looks* better and more defined than VC - it all seems highly detailed and incredibly smooth. But of course, it is the gameplay that matters - and it seems okay from what I've read.

Still, my copy will be a GAD from SR, so I won't be too worried even if it isn't as good as I'm expecting. But I'm sure it will be! To be honest, over the last year or so, Sony have proven themselves to be a major force as a software developer - I think their titles have easily been some of the best (if not THE best) available for PS2. Which really is what should be expected, as it is their console.
Sun 10/11/02 at 15:41
Regular
"Touched!"
At the moment i'm happy with Vice City, i'm still not so sure about the Getaway, the hype for the game has died down quite a bit since it was first announced, i'll wait for some reviews before splashing out on the game i rekon.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.