GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Timesplitters 2"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 16/03/02 at 13:02
Regular
However polished its multiplayer performance felt, the original TimeSplitters was but a shade of what it could have been. Fortunately all the interesting ideas set forth by the original are being fully developed in the sequel. TimeSplitters 2 now enjoys a fully fleshed-out single-player mode and boasts all the engine tweaks you would expect the team to have made in the year since the original game's release. Simply put, TimeSplitters 2 is the best-looking first-person shooter we've yet seen on the PS2.
Eidos hosted a demo of the game yesterday, and we were on hand to check it out. The brunt of what was demonstrated was the game's first single-player scenario, which takes place in a modern-day military compound somewhere in Eastern Europe. The opening sequence was a definite ode to GoldenEye, the game that Free Rad's heads helped develop at Rare back in the day. In the sequence, the camera traveled a panoramic path through the environment, focusing on the map's centerpiece--a huge dam--before dashing through the tunnel that serves as your starting point.

From there, armed with a silenced handgun, we took to scouring the base in search of people and objects to shoot. The objectives were pretty standard: We had to find and disable security cameras, activate power to the elevators, exterminate a handful of mutants roaming the compound, and destroy a certain destructive gadget. The map was pretty expansive, composed of the small buildings that make up the compound, the subterranean levels beneath the dam, and the surface of the dam itself. Overall, the action was well paced, and the level felt quite complete, given the game's early state.

We got to sample a good number of weapons throughout the course of our romp through mission one. Aside from the silenced handgun, there was a light machine gun, an automatic shotgun, an assault rifle, and a flamethrower. The flamethrower was especially nutty; when you hit foes with it, they'll actually remain on fire for close to a minute, immolating anyone they come into contact with--including you. Free Rad must have anticipated how satisfactory the weapon's effect would be for those attending the demo, because they set it up with infinite ammo. The team was smart to show it off--the flame effect was pretty impressive, with the base of the blast a nice cobalt blue and the rest of it made up of wild, dancing particles. Our arsenal also included a fire extinguisher, presumably for putting out immolated enemies. You can imagine the sorts of things the device encouraged.

According to Free Rad's Steve Ellis, TimeSplitters 2 will feature twice the base poly count of its predecessor. Given that the game still manages to run at a constant 60fps, this is highly impressive. We mentioned earlier that it's the best-looking PS2 shooter we've yet seen, and this is no exaggeration. The models are full-bodied and as batty in design as those in the game's predecessor, and they animate amazingly, right down to their hands and faces. The zombies you encounter have several animation routines, from a stilted lumber to an oozing crawl, and they often switch from one animation to another for an amazing effect. Subtle details, such as footprints in the snow, permeate the environment, and deformable objects are rampant, including boxes, barrels, and fruit.

Oh and before you tell me to post it in the reviews section, I can't. My review is too long and i dont want to delete any of it coz i think it will loose quality.
Sat 16/03/02 at 13:02
Regular
"[SE] Shadow Elite"
However polished its multiplayer performance felt, the original TimeSplitters was but a shade of what it could have been. Fortunately all the interesting ideas set forth by the original are being fully developed in the sequel. TimeSplitters 2 now enjoys a fully fleshed-out single-player mode and boasts all the engine tweaks you would expect the team to have made in the year since the original game's release. Simply put, TimeSplitters 2 is the best-looking first-person shooter we've yet seen on the PS2.
Eidos hosted a demo of the game yesterday, and we were on hand to check it out. The brunt of what was demonstrated was the game's first single-player scenario, which takes place in a modern-day military compound somewhere in Eastern Europe. The opening sequence was a definite ode to GoldenEye, the game that Free Rad's heads helped develop at Rare back in the day. In the sequence, the camera traveled a panoramic path through the environment, focusing on the map's centerpiece--a huge dam--before dashing through the tunnel that serves as your starting point.

From there, armed with a silenced handgun, we took to scouring the base in search of people and objects to shoot. The objectives were pretty standard: We had to find and disable security cameras, activate power to the elevators, exterminate a handful of mutants roaming the compound, and destroy a certain destructive gadget. The map was pretty expansive, composed of the small buildings that make up the compound, the subterranean levels beneath the dam, and the surface of the dam itself. Overall, the action was well paced, and the level felt quite complete, given the game's early state.

We got to sample a good number of weapons throughout the course of our romp through mission one. Aside from the silenced handgun, there was a light machine gun, an automatic shotgun, an assault rifle, and a flamethrower. The flamethrower was especially nutty; when you hit foes with it, they'll actually remain on fire for close to a minute, immolating anyone they come into contact with--including you. Free Rad must have anticipated how satisfactory the weapon's effect would be for those attending the demo, because they set it up with infinite ammo. The team was smart to show it off--the flame effect was pretty impressive, with the base of the blast a nice cobalt blue and the rest of it made up of wild, dancing particles. Our arsenal also included a fire extinguisher, presumably for putting out immolated enemies. You can imagine the sorts of things the device encouraged.

According to Free Rad's Steve Ellis, TimeSplitters 2 will feature twice the base poly count of its predecessor. Given that the game still manages to run at a constant 60fps, this is highly impressive. We mentioned earlier that it's the best-looking PS2 shooter we've yet seen, and this is no exaggeration. The models are full-bodied and as batty in design as those in the game's predecessor, and they animate amazingly, right down to their hands and faces. The zombies you encounter have several animation routines, from a stilted lumber to an oozing crawl, and they often switch from one animation to another for an amazing effect. Subtle details, such as footprints in the snow, permeate the environment, and deformable objects are rampant, including boxes, barrels, and fruit.

Oh and before you tell me to post it in the reviews section, I can't. My review is too long and i dont want to delete any of it coz i think it will loose quality.
Sat 16/03/02 at 19:47
Regular
"You Bum!!"
I hate to say this but it is not YOUR review at all....

It has been copied from:

http://www.gamespot.co.uk/stories/previews/0,2160,2096554,00.html

You may ask me what gave it away..Well you saying "WE were on hand to check it out" It is highly unlikely that you work for a company and the demo was only shown to authorised people. Better luck next time....
Sat 16/03/02 at 19:50
Regular
yeh www.gamespot.com go on their it is a good site
Sat 16/03/02 at 19:50
Regular
"360: swfcman"
If this is true, it totally riles me off, Shalashaska has just started a post about someone may have copied him, which was total rubbish and it turns out he has copied too.
Sat 16/03/02 at 19:51
Regular
Did u know that Timesplitters 2 is the 1st PS2 game to be made with PS2 enhancing equipment, Developers did'nt get enhancing equipment till 3 years after ps1 launch.
Sat 16/03/02 at 20:18
Regular
"You Bum!!"
So whers the man himself? Thinking of an alibi eh?
Sat 16/03/02 at 20:51
Regular
"[SE] Shadow Elite"
Darn, you found me out. When you are as desperate as me to win a game you will go to any lengths. I salute you and promise not to cheat again.:'(
Sat 16/03/02 at 20:53
Regular
after all he is a bad guy.
Sat 16/03/02 at 22:30
Regular
"You Bum!!"
Shalashaska wrote:
> Darn, you found me out. When you are as desperate as me to win a game you will
> go to any lengths. I salute you and promise not to cheat again.:'(

Good, because I am not going to report you. People make mistakes and I hope you learnt yours. After all it is very easy to find out if you are cheating. so.

DONT
U
EVER
DO
THAT
AGAIN!!!!! :)
Sat 16/03/02 at 22:33
Regular
"360: swfcman"
You would have not won anyway, this is the discussions area, you need to put that as a review to win.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.