GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Wonderful World of Games"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 12/11/07 at 14:28
Regular
"THFC"
Games are an interesting thing, they can cause emotions, bring people together from all over the world, or even just you and your friends.

But what are some of the games which have touched / influenced you the most?

I am a huge fan of RPG's with a great story, i don't read books, but this genre has helped shape my mind creatively and my imagination has never been the same after playing Final Fantasy. Many of you will agree with Final Fantasy VII being one of the best games ever, the story line i had to go through 3 times to even touch on understanding it fully and the characters are so well developed and everyone has their favourite. Mine being between Cloud and Red.

Kind of going off topic but basically i am just wondering what games have touched you, influenced you in some way.

Mine are Final Fantasy VII and Battlefield on the PC - brought me to the whole "online" phenominum, and i love it, can't get enough of it, Call of Duty 4 on the PS3 has not bene put down much!

Thanks for all your posts!
Mon 12/11/07 at 20:51
Regular
"Blood on my suit"
RPG
Final fantasy VIII, made more so by the fact that I palyed to the first disk when I was younger, and just at the end lost it.
Spent ages looking for it on Ebay and Amazon, but the prices were too high and I didn't want to annoy my mam. Finally, while in Gamestop, completely by luck a lad came in and traded his in.
I got it for 2.50.

Strategy
Command and Conquer Red Alert 2. Spent ages playing it with my friend. Huge excitment while you're trying to beat 7 other comps in a skirmish on medium.

Action
Metal Gear Solid. Once again, the disc froze near the end of the game, so I had to ge tmy brother to get the Metal Gear Solid off his friend.

In FFVII I had huge problems with the discs, and had to keep tampering. Surprised I got through the game at all.:)
Mon 12/11/07 at 20:19
Regular
"Monochromatic"
I'll pick one for each catergory

RPG - Final Fantasy VII
Awesome. There's no other word for it. It's 10 years old on the 17th of November and it's testament to the game that people still talk about and regard it as the best game ever made. I'm fairly confident the same people will still have the same opinion in another 10 years.
Honourable Mention - Final Fantasy VIII
For almost creating a villain as cool as Sephiroth. Unfortunately they screwed it up.

Sport - Fifa
Just about edges out Everybody's Golf. I'm not talking about recent Fifa games, i'm on about the original from 1993 and the 95 version that i adored and played solidly for years (and by played i mean, organised Comp Vs Comp tournaments).
Honourable Mention - Everybody's Golf, Knockout Kings.

Beat-em-ups
Street Fighter II
I hate beat-em-ups. I'm useless at combinations, the games are repetitive and i dont like getting my a**e kicked. However Street Fighter was great. The moves were relatively simple, the characters were fairly well balanced and there was actually a proper strategy to fights. Mortal Kombat aside, it's the only fighter i enjoy.

Arcade - Bomberman
I dont trust anyone who doesn't like Bomberman. It's a beautifully simple game with endless potential to p**s off your friends.

Shoot-em-ups - Socom
I generally dislike shooters. Games like Quake and Doom bored me stupid and until Socom turned up, the only one i liked was Zero Tolerance on the Megadrive. What i really liked about this was the strategy. Controlling 3 other soldiers would have been great if they hadnt been morons.

Racing - Road Rash II
I have a huge affection for this game, simply for the memories i have of playing it. When else are you going to get the chance to smack your dad around the head with a chain? I used to slow down and wait for him (6)

Adventure - Ico
It's not often you can call a game beautiful with a straight face. This is probably the most gorgeous thing i've played to date, not purely for looks but for the relationship between the characters.
Honourable Mention - Shadow of the Colossus. Tomb Raider

Strategy - Civilization II
I started playing this at a time when games were getting really short and i could complete them within days. It's was a nice change of pace and world domination is always an attractive goal.
Honourable Mention - Mega-lo-mania

Defining Game Moment - Final Fantasy VII, end of Disc 1.
"What!?"
* Presses reset *
"Grrr why cant i stop this"
* Presses reset *
".... no way!"

Honourable Mention - Resident Evil II.
The cut scenes were fantastically cinematic.
Mon 12/11/07 at 14:28
Regular
"THFC"
Games are an interesting thing, they can cause emotions, bring people together from all over the world, or even just you and your friends.

But what are some of the games which have touched / influenced you the most?

I am a huge fan of RPG's with a great story, i don't read books, but this genre has helped shape my mind creatively and my imagination has never been the same after playing Final Fantasy. Many of you will agree with Final Fantasy VII being one of the best games ever, the story line i had to go through 3 times to even touch on understanding it fully and the characters are so well developed and everyone has their favourite. Mine being between Cloud and Red.

Kind of going off topic but basically i am just wondering what games have touched you, influenced you in some way.

Mine are Final Fantasy VII and Battlefield on the PC - brought me to the whole "online" phenominum, and i love it, can't get enough of it, Call of Duty 4 on the PS3 has not bene put down much!

Thanks for all your posts!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.