GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Fires"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 12/11/07 at 14:15
Regular
"RIP English_Bloke"
Just finished one of the most interesting tours of duty I’ve had since starting on station in February. I worked fireworks day, which was busy but didn’t work the night, which was hellish apparently. Our station had 46 jobs from 6pm to 12am.

I had a rather large fire in Dagenham. It was basically just a big bonfire as it was scrap wood, but it looked impressive none-the-less.

Then on Thursday night I had my first flat job. We were called to smoke issuing from a 4th floor flat. We get called to this sort of thing quite a lot but it’s usually nothing. While on route a colleague and I put on our breathing apparatus sets just in case it was something when we got there. When we arrived there was a lady standing outside who said that she had smelt smoke in her flat and gone out into the hall to investigate only to find smoke coming from the top of her neighbour’s door. We made our way up to the 4th floor and on the way the way we could smell the smoke. One guy radioed down that we were going to need a hose to be brought up through the internal stairway. While this was being done another guy smashed the door in with a sledge hammer while we started up our BA sets. When the door gave way thick black smoke poured out of the flat causing all the firemen not in BA to go back down the stairs as it was too thick to stay where we were. We made entry into the flat first without any water just to see if we could perform what is called a “snatch rescue”, (no jokes please). The smoke was down to about 6 inches off the floor so visibility was basically zero. I searched off the right hand wall and my mate searched off the left to cover as much ground as quickly as we could. I found myself in what I thought was probably the living room and shouted out if anyone could hear me. I listened for a reply but didn’t get one. What I could hear was a crackling noise to my right. I slowly moved forward and found the fire. I could only actually see it when I was about a foot away. I returned to the front door and took the hose in, which had now been brought up to us. I told my mate on the way that I had found the fire and was going to put it out while he kept searching. I dribbled water onto it, (we do this rather then drenching it so as not to cause a flooding in any other flats), and it was out in about 10 seconds. We then opened windows to ventilate and finished our search. Luckily there was no one in the flat so no one was hurt. The flat however was totalled by the smoke.

It was probably one of the most exciting moments of my life so far being the first person into a flat that was on fire searching to try and find anyone in trouble. It’s only after the job that you look back and realise how potentially dangerous it is.
Mon 12/11/07 at 18:16
Regular
"Blood on my suit"
That sounds so cool. Seriously, you must love your job.
Just even a slight thing like seeing a fire in a flat without people seems so huge around here.:D
Mon 12/11/07 at 15:36
Regular
"hey hey hey im back"
>heyyyyyyyyy people where is everyone today. I want to talk to you guys come on talk k bye.
>pandemic and me are the only one's here come talk PLEASE bye.
Mon 12/11/07 at 14:15
Regular
"RIP English_Bloke"
Just finished one of the most interesting tours of duty I’ve had since starting on station in February. I worked fireworks day, which was busy but didn’t work the night, which was hellish apparently. Our station had 46 jobs from 6pm to 12am.

I had a rather large fire in Dagenham. It was basically just a big bonfire as it was scrap wood, but it looked impressive none-the-less.

Then on Thursday night I had my first flat job. We were called to smoke issuing from a 4th floor flat. We get called to this sort of thing quite a lot but it’s usually nothing. While on route a colleague and I put on our breathing apparatus sets just in case it was something when we got there. When we arrived there was a lady standing outside who said that she had smelt smoke in her flat and gone out into the hall to investigate only to find smoke coming from the top of her neighbour’s door. We made our way up to the 4th floor and on the way the way we could smell the smoke. One guy radioed down that we were going to need a hose to be brought up through the internal stairway. While this was being done another guy smashed the door in with a sledge hammer while we started up our BA sets. When the door gave way thick black smoke poured out of the flat causing all the firemen not in BA to go back down the stairs as it was too thick to stay where we were. We made entry into the flat first without any water just to see if we could perform what is called a “snatch rescue”, (no jokes please). The smoke was down to about 6 inches off the floor so visibility was basically zero. I searched off the right hand wall and my mate searched off the left to cover as much ground as quickly as we could. I found myself in what I thought was probably the living room and shouted out if anyone could hear me. I listened for a reply but didn’t get one. What I could hear was a crackling noise to my right. I slowly moved forward and found the fire. I could only actually see it when I was about a foot away. I returned to the front door and took the hose in, which had now been brought up to us. I told my mate on the way that I had found the fire and was going to put it out while he kept searching. I dribbled water onto it, (we do this rather then drenching it so as not to cause a flooding in any other flats), and it was out in about 10 seconds. We then opened windows to ventilate and finished our search. Luckily there was no one in the flat so no one was hurt. The flat however was totalled by the smoke.

It was probably one of the most exciting moments of my life so far being the first person into a flat that was on fire searching to try and find anyone in trouble. It’s only after the job that you look back and realise how potentially dangerous it is.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.