GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Resident Evil"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 15/03/02 at 21:34
Regular
It's out soon, the movie version of the popular Capcom game Resident Evil.

Will it be pants like previous game to film conversions or will it suprise us all?

I liked the look of it I must say, has a survival horror element to it like in Alien. I loved Alien, I like Zombies, I like the lead role and I thought the games were really jumpy at times.

So what do we think?
Flop or Top?
Sun 17/03/02 at 14:34
Here's an official script review, which is pretty spoiler-free, just includes the storyline:

http://www.diabolical-dominion.com/ News/06_04resident.shtml

'The story begins inside of a research facility known as the Hive which is owned by the powerful Umbrella Corporation (very similar to 'The Company' in Aliens). We are introduced to various employees and scientist going about their daily business when all of a sudden, something goes wrong. It seems that the entire facility is powered by a supercomputer called the Red Queen which has gone completely suicidal. She has taken control of the Hive and proceeds to decimate all of it's inhabitants. Before you know it, all the ventilation systems and elevators are systematically destroyed by the Red Queen resulting in a high body count.

That's when the military 'Sanitation' squad is brought in to finish her off. These guys are the same tough commando types you've seen in every other Aliens rip-off, including the female a's kicker with the snappy comebacks. They raid the Hive and eventually come across a young woman named Alice who has lost her memory. Alice is really the main character of this story. She is the innocent and vulnerable type who is thrust into these dangerous situations that she has no control over. There is also a great deal of mystery surrounding her past (which is revealed little by little until we discover her link to this chain of events). But she can also kick a's if given the opportunity.

They infiltrate the Red Queen's lair in one incredible action sequence that left me floored. It involves a 'dormant defense system' that is triggered when the team enters her domain. The end result is pretty intense and reminded me of the booby trapped rooms from the movie 'Cube'. Unfortunately, that pretty much sums up a majority of what this script is meant to be. The recycling of other movies. A sort of 'Frankenstein' monster that is stitched together from various other genre films. Don't get me wrong, it has some of the best elements of each film, but I was expecting something a little bit closer in story to the game.

Which brings me to the Zombies.

What can I say? Resident Evil would just not be complete without them. They show up just in time to turn this movie into an action packed version of 'Night of the Living Dead'. They are the big revelation in this movie, the Umbrella Corporation's deep dark secret. It seems that a virus was manufactured that could re-animate dead flesh for use as a biological weapon for the military. Don't they ever learn? But now they are loose and are basically out to feed and hunt for blood, eating anything and everything that gets in their way. They can be killed by severe head trauma (just like Romero's zombies) and having their necks broken (which happens a few times in the script).

So what did I think of this script?

To be honest, I found it entertaining although completely unoriginal. I'm a big fan of the video games and was hoping that this movie would stay true to the characters and storyline (although some elements do stay the same). I think there are a few things that need fixing such as making the zombies a bit meaner instead of the slow moving horde that we're used to. I'd also like to get rid of the 'Licker' creature that appears at the end of the film (he's also in the video game) and possibly replace him with the Tyrant. But other than that I can't complain. If you look at the people involved you can get a feel for this project. They have a decent director who has made some movies that I found entertaining and a really good cast of capable actors. Let's keep our fingers crossed for this one.'

Not bad, eh?
Sun 17/03/02 at 13:43
It's an 18 certificate film.

In America, it's received very mixed reviews. SOme people have said it's "...the greatest video game adaptation ever..." and "...a fantastic action movie..." whereas others have described it as an "...insipid zombie flick..."

I am a big fan of Resident Evil, and I am still utterly disgusted with the whole non-game-storyline that's in the film, but it could be good. On the other hand, if you look act the facts, it's got the most big headed b1tch on the planet (Milla Jovovich, Fifth Element) as the main star, and the terrible Brittish Director Paul Anderson (Mortal Kombat) leading it, it could be pants. Hmmm, I'll definately see it but I'm not sure what to expect.
Sun 17/03/02 at 10:04
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Iam quite surprised at how good the film is looking, i think it could well be a hit.
Sun 17/03/02 at 08:19
I was about to comment on that. From clips in the trailer, Michelle Rodriguez looks very impressive as a bad-ass SWAT team member.

"She's still standing"

Michelle Rodriguez pulls out machine gun.

*BANG!*

"She isn't standing now..."

Superb indeed.

One thing I didn't like about the trailer was the techno theme, which normally means that it's a manufactured film and that it's going to stink. However, a decent storyline and decent directing can overcome this.

I hope they make it right.
Sun 17/03/02 at 02:17
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
Michelle Rodriguez rules (watch "girlfight" people)

So Resiident Evil could conceivably be top/
Sat 16/03/02 at 20:42
Regular
"Fear my wrath..."
Res€vilfan wrote:
> It's supposed to be good
You would say that. You're a resident evil fan :D
Sat 16/03/02 at 20:08
Regular
"Back For Good"
It's supposed to be good
Sat 16/03/02 at 12:56
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
RM18 wrote:
> probably a flop

another question - how the hell are they going to make a film
> out of DOA?

Dunno! But just think, Kazumi in real life form! :D~

:D
Sat 16/03/02 at 12:45
Regular
probably a flop

another question - how the hell are they going to make a film out of DOA?
Sat 16/03/02 at 12:44
Regular
"Fear my wrath..."
Cooky wrote:
> The Resident Evil films recieved good reviews in America hasn't it?

I think
> it looks like a quality film! Can't wait to watch it!

:)

Well I have to say from the trailer it looks very scary and gorey. Looks very much like the Alien films. I also saw one of those Zombie dogs!!

I hope it's a 15, but I could probably get into an 18...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.