GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Discrimination - are games being seen as racist?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 11/11/02 at 19:25
Regular
I have always ponedered on this one word. A word which can start wars. A word that can cause misery among the schoolboy days. This word is discrimination ( the fancy word for racism) It can start devastating disagreements between countries. What I particularly want to talk about though is racism in games. Is it done on purpose? Is it the game developers trying to make a fascist points? Well, I don't quite knoo but it cause million-dollar games to remake themselves all because of racism.

There are hundreds of examples in film and games alike. The most supposedly distinguishing feature of Snape in the Harry Potter books was his hooked nose. They had to leave it out in the film because Jewish peole are associated with having hooked noses and since Snape is a bad character it would be supposedly saying that Jewish people were evil ( which I'm sure the director wouldn't do) but the hooked nose had to be scrapped because of such a small connection.

Racism will probably ruin our games and films if we don't do something. I'm not saying that there isn't any racism in the world. There is, I know. But you might wonder if people are being slightly over-sensitive. The slightest touch of more coloured villains and the people are leaping in making claims of mass racism and discrimination. For instance in Hitman 2: Silent Assassin you have to assassinate several people wearing turbans and therefore had to be configured.

Maybe other developers are racist for making the James Bond films where most of the bad guys are Russian and yet I didn't notice any protests of racism being made about that. Maybe everything is being racist with people's appearances in films and everytime someone is killed.

All I 'm saying is that maybe claims of racism aren't so bad as everything in our modern world could be accused of being 'racist'.

Thaks for reading
Eddy ( Knick Knack)
Mon 11/11/02 at 19:25
Regular
"Damn dirty apes!"
I have always ponedered on this one word. A word which can start wars. A word that can cause misery among the schoolboy days. This word is discrimination ( the fancy word for racism) It can start devastating disagreements between countries. What I particularly want to talk about though is racism in games. Is it done on purpose? Is it the game developers trying to make a fascist points? Well, I don't quite knoo but it cause million-dollar games to remake themselves all because of racism.

There are hundreds of examples in film and games alike. The most supposedly distinguishing feature of Snape in the Harry Potter books was his hooked nose. They had to leave it out in the film because Jewish peole are associated with having hooked noses and since Snape is a bad character it would be supposedly saying that Jewish people were evil ( which I'm sure the director wouldn't do) but the hooked nose had to be scrapped because of such a small connection.

Racism will probably ruin our games and films if we don't do something. I'm not saying that there isn't any racism in the world. There is, I know. But you might wonder if people are being slightly over-sensitive. The slightest touch of more coloured villains and the people are leaping in making claims of mass racism and discrimination. For instance in Hitman 2: Silent Assassin you have to assassinate several people wearing turbans and therefore had to be configured.

Maybe other developers are racist for making the James Bond films where most of the bad guys are Russian and yet I didn't notice any protests of racism being made about that. Maybe everything is being racist with people's appearances in films and everytime someone is killed.

All I 'm saying is that maybe claims of racism aren't so bad as everything in our modern world could be accused of being 'racist'.

Thaks for reading
Eddy ( Knick Knack)
Mon 11/11/02 at 20:11
"Darkness, always"
Discrimination is not a posh word for racism. Racism is a form of discrimination. Discrimination itself is a much wider thing.
Mon 11/11/02 at 20:16
Regular
"Z will be here soon"
*confused*
Tue 12/11/02 at 10:00
Regular
"Stay Frosty"
I think the definition Racist isn't used wisley. The police are fearfull of stopping black people becaues they'd say it was racially motivated. This can't be the case all the time. Also, in films, i don't know how many films have black people saying stuff like, 'kiss my black ass', or 'i want a niger ready to cap him off', like in Pulp Fiction. But if a white person said it, criminal charges are filed. 8 minutes of the dambusters was cut a while back, just because there was a dog called niger. This was quite a major scene too. I don't agree with racists, i don't think any one should be discriminated against because of their belifs, colour, weight, size, shape or any thin'. But there is a lot of faulse and unfounded 'your racist' speaches going about. But things like the films with black insulting black are ignored. It just aint fair.

Also, about three months ago, an Asian bloke joined the police. Soon after, he refused to wear the badge, he said it was against his belifs. How? What's more, now the badge we've had for hundreds of years has been changed. I've got nothing against him joining the police, but making the badge change, i don't think it's on!!
Tue 12/11/02 at 12:12
Regular
" ban the Taliban"
Bob
Thu 14/11/02 at 00:11
Regular
"Damn dirty apes!"
Yeehaw!
Thu 14/11/02 at 17:31
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
Just to clear something up........
"Dis-crim-i-na-tion" = 'Attitude, behaviour or treatment based on a prejudicial thought'

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.