GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Eternal Darkness Vs Resident Evil"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 11/11/02 at 20:43
Regular
Looking at and comparing these two games isn’t easy. They are different games for a start, both being in different genres. It would be easy to compare Resident Evil with its prequel Resident Evil Zero. But that is not what I am doing. My task is to compare these two games and settle some arguments between which is better. I am not here to say that in my opinion Eternal Darkness is better or the Resident Evil is better. I am going to look at every single aspect of each game and compare them. To start with I will explain a little about each game.

Resident Evil

S.T.A.R.S INVESTIGATION HELICOPTER MISSING!!

Arclay Mountains, Raccoon City

A spokesperson at the Raccoon City Police Department reported that an investigation helicopter of the special task force S.T.A.R.S. Bravo team is missing.

According to the announcement from the Raccoon City police Department, the team was sent in to investigate the Arclay Mountain and Raccoon Forest area, where a number of people are reported missing. Contact with the team has been lost since the last communication before dawn.

The Raccoon City Police Department suspects the team has been involved in some trouble. Now it will send the S.T.A.R.S Alpha team in to investigate and collect information from witnesses.

Recently there have been a number of bizarre murders reported near Raccoon City. This incident is likely to make Raccoon City residence feel even more uneasy.

The special task force S.T.A.R.S. (Special Tactics and Rescue Service) was founded in 1996 under control of the Raccoon City Police Department to counteract increasing city terrorism and other crimes.

From Raccoon Press evening issue, July 24, 19988

So Resident Evil is a SURVIVAL HORROR game. It involves surviving a horrible mansion filled with mutated Humans and Monsters. Set in 1998, modern day weaponry and more advanced and explainable circumstances are present.

Eternal Darkness

“O, oblivious, haive Humanity… How ignorant we truly are – safe only in our blind view of the world. We are merely Caretakers, for when the ancients return, we shall be swept aside like driftwood on the tide of destruction…”

An Ancient Evil

Long before humanity graced the universe, our planet belonged to another species – an ancient species bound by neither physics nor nature, purpose nor ethic. Through the passage of time, against the relentless advance of ice and the continental plates, and for other inscrutable reasons, these “Ancients” were driven deep into the recesses of our world. There, they lie imprisoned until the conditions are right for their return.

Humanity Betrayers

Hungry for dominance and the favour of the Ancients, secret organisations seek to restore the Ancients to their former station. For eons they have schemed and plotted in the darkness, attempting to bring these evil entities into our world through arcane magicks – blood rituals, worship, and sacrifice.

Of these sects, little is known: those who learn their secrets perish swiftly at their hands. Their screaming works to bring the Ancients’ return – humanity’s extinction – ever closer.

A Light in the Darkness

Yet not all hope is lost. The fate of Humanity depends upon the actions of a chosen few. They are average people, unprepared for heroic deeds, but the responsibility is theirs nonetheless. Even as their lives are torn apart by unseen evils, they must show courage in the face not only of the enemy, but also of their own fears. These poor souls teeter on the brink of insanity, tortured by the horrors of the Ancients.

A secret war is being waged on the periphery of Humanity’s perceptions – a war wreathed in shadows and deception.

I am going to compare different aspects of the games:

-=-=-Controls-=-=-

Resident Evil

The controls on Resident Evil take a bit of getting used to. It is strange the way there are set up and that pressing start doesn’t get you to the item menu, Y does. However, once you get used to it, it becomes quite fluent. Apart from when you come back to the games after a couple of weeks it will take a couple of plays to get used to again.

Eternal Darkness

Again it does take a little while to get into. It is slightly strange how they are set up, however you can get used to them very quickly. It feels natural as you mince a monster.

++COMPARING++

Resident Evil has a good set of controls for a game of its type. With its modern day weapons it is set up so that you can use them effectively. With Eternal Darkness they try to span 2000 years of weaponry and therefore setting up some controls for that would be difficult. However, they have done this well. Although one thing that is wrong is the fact the u can accidentally fire off your weapon when you press A. Where as with Resident Evil you have to hold R while shooting!

-=-=-Story Line-=-=-

Resident Evil

Resident Evil has a great story line. It is set up greatly, and you start off already knowing a lot. However, due to the fact that it is not the first ever-Resident Evil game there is a lot more story line circulating the world. Now it is good for you if you forget those parts and just stick to the story inside this game. However, if you cannot resist or you have already played the other games it can get a bit confusing.

Eternal Darkness

Eternal Darkness has a great, well thought Story Line. It spans many centuries and is obviously well thought out and very well planned. Although, you should pay great attention, because if you don’t you will miss important information that really does help the game make sense. It is very complicated and the hours of cut scenes can get a little bit taxing. However, a bit of thought and a little bit of concentration and you will get it.

++COMPARING++

Both Story lines are very in depth and challenging to think about. Each one filled with conspiracy and treason, heresy and murder. However, the Eternal Darkness Story line is very more in depth a worth a second play just to help you understand. Although it is the same with the Resident Evil story line, although that does get a little confusing too. This is because of the two playable character functions. You can finish it with one person and save 3 people, finish with the other and save 3 people one of them being different. Both are confusing, yet with a little thought it is easily understandable.

-=-=-Gameplay-=-=-

Resident Evil

Resident Evil plays very well for a game on its Genre, it is very good for playing a few times. You can run around and play the game a few times and still learn more, however it does start off exciting, but this can easily turn to a stop when you hit a seeming impassable puzzle. Or when you are running to and from rooms so that you can find things or to get items that you had not the space for. But it is realistic and does make sense.

Eternal Darkness

Eternal Darkness does its job very well, it freaks you out and “plays with you”. It has a good feel to it running at a zombie and axing it apart. However, it does have those annoying little puzzles that will stop you in your tracks, and it does get very hard in places. It has no real difficulty setting and it can feel impossible at times. Making you frustrated and angry at it and yet wanting another go at it. Now the thing is, it’s a challenge, a challenging game that really does blow your mind.

++COMPARING++

Both games are great to play and each has its perks. Resident Evil is great for modern day weaponry and tactics. Modern day science is also a part. Your character will move as s/he has been trained, like a properly trained modern day Policeman. However, with Eternal Darkness you are numerous characters and just as you are getting used to one character you change again. But each game runs smoothly and pleasingly with the task you have been given.

-=-=-Graphics-=-=-

Resident Evil

Now if you have even seen this game you will know that is has the best graphics that have ever been produced in a game. However, this is because of the pre-rendered backgrounds. But the characters aren’t and they still looks very good.

Eternal Darkness

All of Eternal Darkness is true 3D. Now this means it will not look as good as Resident Evil yet it still looks good enough. Blood and gore is great, there are no glitches and it really does look great. Good enough for a next Generation console.

++COMPARING++

Of course Resident Evil has the better graphics. It is because it is all pre-rendered. But Eternal Darkness still has very respectable graphics!

And now for the big one…FEAR.

Resident Evil

During the entire Resident Evil game you are scared. Now this is not the fear of what lurks around the next corner. It is the fear of what is going to jump through the window and rip you apart. The fear of DEATH. Numerous jumpy bits lurk in the game to help your heart skip some beats. But really you are scared of dying and loosing your game position.

Eternal Darkness

There is little fear in this game, but there is something else. A sanity that will drive you and your character insane. Boo, it makes you jump, smash it makes you cry, bang bang bang, there’s someone at the door…or is there.

++COMPARING++

Resident Evil is a game that sets out to scare you and boy it does. But Eternal Darkness is a game that sets out to drive you insane. They both do their job very well but what game has the most fear? This would be Resident Evil, only because you are scared of dying and loosing your position. Now with Eternal Darkness you can save anywhere you want. So this ruins the idea of loosing your data.

CONCLUSION

Each game is different, but I hope that I have clarified for you that these games are different. Not just copies. I hope this settles some arguments!
Tue 12/11/02 at 20:10
Regular
"Z will be here soon"
Great post mate.
Tue 12/11/02 at 11:33
Regular
"^_^"
With Eternal Darkness you can only save in a safe position. This means that you can only save in clear rooms with no enemies or traps!
Tue 12/11/02 at 09:02
Regular
maddmun wrote:
> no, I mean I get killed as soon as I load the game eg. bullet gets
> fired 0.0001 seconds after loading, killing me, it happens. It sucks

Usually in ED it doesn't allow you to save while your in danger.
Mon 11/11/02 at 22:29
Regular
no, I mean I get killed as soon as I load the game eg. bullet gets fired 0.0001 seconds after loading, killing me, it happens. It sucks
Mon 11/11/02 at 22:27
Regular
"Remember me?"
Tribute wrote:
> Here's a solution - Don't die.

Hey that's just crazy enough to work!
Mon 11/11/02 at 21:40
Regular
"Festivus!"
maddmun wrote:
> i hate games where you can save when you want, i always end up saving
> right before I diem, sending me into a death loop

Here's a solution - Don't die.
Mon 11/11/02 at 21:38
Regular
"Must be Parkinson's"
hmmm, little fear in ed, i got really scared playing at game store in enfield in broad daylight :(
Mon 11/11/02 at 21:24
Great Topic Parr, long, but I didn't get bored at all like usual (damn attention span)...

(:)

Good work.
Mon 11/11/02 at 20:57
Regular
"Formally:Ev][L~DarK"
A Great post m8, *Claps* :)

Also In Resident Evil isn't the saving system adding to the fear factor that if u die, You die you go back to the point where you were last and knowing that you really don't want to die.

So in ED You can Save in any point heh? Like our human minds we want things to make our lives easier rather then RE making the save system a very good plus to the game like the loading screens of the doors.
Mon 11/11/02 at 20:54
Regular
i hate games where you can save when you want, i always end up saving right before I diem, sending me into a death loop
Nice post though

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.