GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Camping vs Good Play"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 12/11/02 at 08:19
Regular
How do you define camping?

Sniping becomes camping when trying to evict the culprit becomes boring. Any really good sniper should (IMO) be able to work out exactly when this is about to happen and move on to a new spot. It's fun tracking down a sniper and trying to figure out how to remove the problem, but if the only viable approach relies on them missing more than one shot in order for it to work, it ceases to become fun very quickly if they're any good. I remember one map I played during my brief foray into Quake deathmatch (I think it was an SP map to be fair) where the rocket launcher is on top of this little castle-type thing, and to get there from any spawn point you need to run along the path which passes underneath said castle-thing. Needless to say, doing so proved pretty much impossible. That's camping.

Unfair advantage is more or less how I get all my frags. I've got reflexes like treacle in winter, but I pride myself on being the sneakiest on any given map. I always try and minimise the chances of getting shot back, usually by analysing what places the other team/players rush through and finding a nice place out of the immediate field of view to shoot from once they've rushed past. In DM, I have to clear out sharpish or else they come looking for payback, but in round-based games, I can generally get away with it twice. In my defence, I'd class most of what I do as exploiting player psychology rather than that of the mapmakers. Most people thunder around without the slightest hint of stealth, and assume that if they've not been shot at the millisecond they go into a room, then there's no-one there. You'd be amazed how far two second's patience gets you. When it comes to DM, I tend to think anything goes bar cheating (and of course, camping). Even a second rate circle'n'strafe player will rack up frags quicker than a first rate camper. I'm yet to encounter a camping spot that didn't depend entirely on the other guy not knowing you're there.

In team games, it depends on the decór. In a Sci-Fi setting such as UT2003, my attitude is that it's a computer game, so anything goes as long as it helps your team to win. If it annoys the other team so much they come gunning for you or waste time typing cack-handed insults in l77t at you, good. Gamesmanship. If it's a simulation type game such as CS/BF1942, then anything goes as long as it's got plausible realism, and helps your team to win. The best way to beat a sniper is simply not to present him any targets. Sure, if he's camping a spawn point or vital objective then that's tricky, but if he's got a great position covering an unimportant section of ground, just avoid that bit of the map. Granted, I'm used to playing a particular game with multiple take-and-hold objectives, so I just tend to go and sit in one of them till the enemy are forced to come and find you rather than the other way round, but on spawn you get invulnerability for either ten seconds or until you attack. Spawn camping at that point becomes irrelevant, particularly with the nasty AI guards patrolling bases.

The better players learn the map from the inside out, knowing the best track to follow, where are the powerups, the best weapons, where is the other team's (whether it's a team based game) weak side, etc. And fragging others without being fragged is the whole point of the game, unless someone made a good samaritan deathmatch, or a suicidal one. It's a computer game, not a football match. If you know a major weapon is placed on point X and that players tend to crowd in the arena on the next side of the map, the most obvious route is to that weapon, then to the arena, blasting everyone. A camper is, usually, one who stays in one point (hence the term), either "guarding" a powerup or a superweapon, standing near a spawning point to frag the newly spawned, or standing on a high post and sniping the others. I also don't think someone who is out there for a frag count in a team based game could be called a camper. As a related note, placing a sniper in a position to guard the flag, or just a guy that stands near the flag to prevent others from taking it (replace flag with any other goal the game places) is good team tactics, not camping.

When at battle, you don't have the luxury of moving around after each shot. and considering the range and a good position/camouflage, you usually don't need to. Infantry training consist of constant moving and shooting, but, place a sniper, on a hill, inside some bush, half a mile away from the targets (and twice away from their range) and the only way they can stop him is with artillery, and if they use that, he can run all he likes. If we were all so lucky. The thing is, once you have been playing a while, campers pose little threat as you know all their hiding holes. I must admit that some camping is funny though. Anyway, yes, camping is a pain but a bit of sitting still doesn't hurt either, especially when someone is coming up behind you and you want to ambush them...

Thanks for reading,
Flux.
Tue 12/11/02 at 08:19
Regular
"The flux capacitor!"
How do you define camping?

Sniping becomes camping when trying to evict the culprit becomes boring. Any really good sniper should (IMO) be able to work out exactly when this is about to happen and move on to a new spot. It's fun tracking down a sniper and trying to figure out how to remove the problem, but if the only viable approach relies on them missing more than one shot in order for it to work, it ceases to become fun very quickly if they're any good. I remember one map I played during my brief foray into Quake deathmatch (I think it was an SP map to be fair) where the rocket launcher is on top of this little castle-type thing, and to get there from any spawn point you need to run along the path which passes underneath said castle-thing. Needless to say, doing so proved pretty much impossible. That's camping.

Unfair advantage is more or less how I get all my frags. I've got reflexes like treacle in winter, but I pride myself on being the sneakiest on any given map. I always try and minimise the chances of getting shot back, usually by analysing what places the other team/players rush through and finding a nice place out of the immediate field of view to shoot from once they've rushed past. In DM, I have to clear out sharpish or else they come looking for payback, but in round-based games, I can generally get away with it twice. In my defence, I'd class most of what I do as exploiting player psychology rather than that of the mapmakers. Most people thunder around without the slightest hint of stealth, and assume that if they've not been shot at the millisecond they go into a room, then there's no-one there. You'd be amazed how far two second's patience gets you. When it comes to DM, I tend to think anything goes bar cheating (and of course, camping). Even a second rate circle'n'strafe player will rack up frags quicker than a first rate camper. I'm yet to encounter a camping spot that didn't depend entirely on the other guy not knowing you're there.

In team games, it depends on the decór. In a Sci-Fi setting such as UT2003, my attitude is that it's a computer game, so anything goes as long as it helps your team to win. If it annoys the other team so much they come gunning for you or waste time typing cack-handed insults in l77t at you, good. Gamesmanship. If it's a simulation type game such as CS/BF1942, then anything goes as long as it's got plausible realism, and helps your team to win. The best way to beat a sniper is simply not to present him any targets. Sure, if he's camping a spawn point or vital objective then that's tricky, but if he's got a great position covering an unimportant section of ground, just avoid that bit of the map. Granted, I'm used to playing a particular game with multiple take-and-hold objectives, so I just tend to go and sit in one of them till the enemy are forced to come and find you rather than the other way round, but on spawn you get invulnerability for either ten seconds or until you attack. Spawn camping at that point becomes irrelevant, particularly with the nasty AI guards patrolling bases.

The better players learn the map from the inside out, knowing the best track to follow, where are the powerups, the best weapons, where is the other team's (whether it's a team based game) weak side, etc. And fragging others without being fragged is the whole point of the game, unless someone made a good samaritan deathmatch, or a suicidal one. It's a computer game, not a football match. If you know a major weapon is placed on point X and that players tend to crowd in the arena on the next side of the map, the most obvious route is to that weapon, then to the arena, blasting everyone. A camper is, usually, one who stays in one point (hence the term), either "guarding" a powerup or a superweapon, standing near a spawning point to frag the newly spawned, or standing on a high post and sniping the others. I also don't think someone who is out there for a frag count in a team based game could be called a camper. As a related note, placing a sniper in a position to guard the flag, or just a guy that stands near the flag to prevent others from taking it (replace flag with any other goal the game places) is good team tactics, not camping.

When at battle, you don't have the luxury of moving around after each shot. and considering the range and a good position/camouflage, you usually don't need to. Infantry training consist of constant moving and shooting, but, place a sniper, on a hill, inside some bush, half a mile away from the targets (and twice away from their range) and the only way they can stop him is with artillery, and if they use that, he can run all he likes. If we were all so lucky. The thing is, once you have been playing a while, campers pose little threat as you know all their hiding holes. I must admit that some camping is funny though. Anyway, yes, camping is a pain but a bit of sitting still doesn't hurt either, especially when someone is coming up behind you and you want to ambush them...

Thanks for reading,
Flux.
Tue 12/11/02 at 11:48
Regular
"bing bang bong"
I love it on CTF maps when the flag is right by the respawn point, you kill some people on the way in to get the flag, they materialise right by the flag so you have to kill them again. Sometimes you have to do this several times to one player to be able to get away. Needless to say, you get accused of being a respawn-camper.
Tue 12/11/02 at 14:18
Regular
"A man with a stick"
The thing I don't like about camping (besides the obvious spwan campers) are the people you frag from camping. Mainly the people who complain.

People who, for example who will run through the middle of the map, completely open to attack from all sides and present you with an easy kill. Once you kill them of course they like to shout out stuff like "stupid camper" or "stop camping" like it's you're fault they run around the maps like headless, brainless chickens.

Other than that I don't mind camping, it's a good way to bump up you're score. Also, when I camp I like to move from camping positions after a set amount of frags, this means when the people I kill come looking for me, I'll be somewhere else shooting them in the back. A bit of stratagy there.
Tue 12/11/02 at 14:31
Regular
Camping's girly man tactics, I like to get into the fray and smoke some muthers, not sit around and pop off the occasional gimp who gets in front of my gun.
Tue 12/11/02 at 16:38
Regular
"I like cheese"
I camp occasionally on Tactical Ops, but only when I'm outnumbered or low on health points.

Camping's all part of the game in my opinion, just as long as it's not taken too far.
Wed 13/11/02 at 15:28
"Darth Vader 3442321"
The Oxford dictionary defines camping as: Barrymore, Winton.

I define camping as: cold, wet and miserable.
Thu 14/11/02 at 08:07
Regular
"The flux capacitor!"
I hope you're joking, or I'm about to laugh my @$$ off :)
Thu 14/11/02 at 15:40
Regular
Ant wrote:
> I camp occasionally on Tactical Ops, but only when I'm outnumbered or
> low on health points.

Too bad you couldnt escape the wrath of my sniper rifle that time I finally found out your nick :D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.