GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Metroid Prime. IGN Review. 9.8"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Metroid Prime'.
Tue 12/11/02 at 09:08
Regular
It scored 9.8.

Metroid on the NES was one of the first epic games I ever experienced. My brother and I, at the age of about seven, spent weeks and months questing through the password-enabled adventure. It had a certain charm to it, and even if I couldn't describe it then it made an impact on me. Then along came Super Metroid in 1994, and I was totally blown away by how brilliant it was. It was a perfect videogame in my mind. It was edgy, home to a fantastic power-up system, full of awesome bosses, and the gameplay style was a soul mate to me.
Needless to say, I have an unhealthy obsession with the franchise. So, when Metroid Prime was finally announced I was both thrilled and frightened to see how it would turn out. But after several years of very hard work, Retro Studios and Nintendo have translated the same genius of Super Metroid into 3D with very few casualties. Because of that, Metroid Prime has not only become my most beloved title on GameCube, but also one of my most treasured games of all time. I'm not sure where I place it, but it's very high on the list.

If I had to make one personal observation, it would be that the change to first-person perspective was brilliant for its move to 3D, but not perfect. I felt comfortable (even in awe) 90% of the time, but there are a few boss fights where it can frustrate. It's extremely rare, but something you should be aware of going into it. It's nothing that sours the overall quality, though.

That said, I would recommend Metroid Prime as an absolute buy -- skip the renting facade -- for every owner of a GameCube. It's a real collector's item. You'll want to keep this one even after your done spending 30+ hours with it. The only reason one would avoid it is if action/adventures are not part of your narrower taste in games. If you fall into that category, you have no idea what you're missing out on.

Metroid Prime is an instant classic that you will use to measure forthcoming software by.
Thu 14/11/02 at 20:40
Regular
"relocated"
dvdboxoffice are selling Metroid Prime for £29 and Metroid Fusion for £20.50 including delivery.
Thu 14/11/02 at 16:40
Regular
"gsybe you!"
'Ave it.

This game looks to be yet another 'oh its rubbish' from other people, while we all adore it for what it is.

Excellent......
Thu 14/11/02 at 15:46
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
UK-based Importers.

http://www.goblindirect.com
http://www.videogameimports.com

US-based Importers.

http://www.tronixweb.com
http://www.ncsx.org
Thu 14/11/02 at 15:45
Regular
What's the website address. I'll have a look. I've seen one so far for £50 without fusion.
Thu 14/11/02 at 15:42
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
ellisuk wrote:
> I can't wait until March before its out in da UK. Anyone know any
> cheap import sites. It's out in US in a week!

Got mine pre-ordered with Tronix. I managed to get Fusion and Prime with delivery thrown in for £55. I don't think they're taking anymore pre-orders though.

Best bet is to go for a UK-based supplier if you want it ASAP. Someone like Goblin or Video Games Direct are quite good. Failing that, you could wait until Tronx or NCSX get stock back in after release.
Thu 14/11/02 at 15:35
Regular
I can't wait until March before its out in da UK. Anyone know any cheap import sites. It's out in US in a week!
Thu 14/11/02 at 13:15
"Darkness, always"
cipro wrote:
> Tony Hawks is an OK game, but certainly not worth 10/10. That's why
> I'll be waiting for other reveiws before I decide Metroid is as grerat
> as IGN claim it to be, but I suspect from the screenshots and preveiws
> I've already seen, it probably will be.

Given that it's had PS2 magazine reviewers frothing at the mouth, I expect it to be class.

I'll probably buy it on the reviews I've read already, they seem to be running short of superlatives for it.
Thu 14/11/02 at 13:10
Regular
"Remember me?"
maddmun wrote:
> I liked THPS2, the rest were rubbish though.

Tsk! If he wasn't too busy standing in the pension line at the Post Office, he'd smack you in the mouth with his board, yessiree Bob!
Thu 14/11/02 at 13:08
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Tony Hawks is an OK game, but certainly not worth 10/10. That's why I'll be waiting for other reveiws before I decide Metroid is as grerat as IGN claim it to be, but I suspect from the screenshots and preveiws I've already seen, it probably will be.
Thu 14/11/02 at 12:38
Regular
I liked THPS2, the rest were rubbish though.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.