GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Xbox360)"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare'.
Sun 11/11/07 at 16:49
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
The Call of Duty series has always been hugely popular and has provided some of the best, if not the best, World War II shooters available on any games console. This time however the move has been made towards a modern combat game – hence the name Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare.

The first thing you’ll notice as you start off your first mission is the excellent graphics on show and the great attention to detail. The overall atmosphere created by the game just feels so natural and at the same time seems to capture the feel of a wartime environment right down to the smallest details. Add to this some excellent sound effects and character voices and you find yourself with a game that is very special.
If you’ve got yourself a high definition TV and surround sound then you really are in for a very entertaining experience.

Throughout the game you follow the story by playing the part of an SAS soldier and also as a US marine – this is quite clever as it lets you see the overall storyline unfold from different locations and different settings which make for a much more enjoyable and in depth single player game.

It’s not all confined to you and the gun though, some sections involve you manning the guns in an air ship and providing air support for the troops on the ground. It’s the small extras like this that make this quite easily the best single player war based first person shooter around.

Once you’ve played through the single player game your likely to give it another go on veteran which will test your skills a fair bit more. You will also have unlocked the arcade mode which plays through levels in the form of an old style arcade game – your given points for each kill and get bonus multipliers and extras for the more kills in a row you get. After that the multiplayer game calls and this is where COD4 shines through.

The multiplayer options and overall gameplay available is by far the best fun I’ve had in any online game. Yes that’s out of every game I’ve played. You get all the usual gamemodes you’d expect from any online shooter as well as a few new ones and with space for 18 players there is always someone on the enemy team not too far away to get a shot at. The ranking system is also quite clever – you are awarded experience points for each game you play – this in turn will allow you to unlock new weapons, perks and challenges.
The perks are additional skills your character can have – from better aiming to more powerful bullets and being able to sprint for longer.

The perks allow you to customise your character a little to suit your style of play. The challenges are certain tasks that can be done during the online multiplayer mode to gain more experience points – things like shoot down an enemy helicopter or kill a certain number of enemies with a particular weapon. The more experience points you earn the higher your rank and the more you are able to unlock and use.

With a great range of maps included and plans to offer more at a later date as additional downloadable content there really is a lot to the multiplayer game that will have you playing it again and again. There are also a huge range of weapons to get your hands on and bring destruction to the enemy team.
I’ve been on this as much as possible since I got my copy of the game and it’s easily the most impressive single player and multiplayer game around at the moment.

The only downside to the game itself is the single player game seemed a bit short but that’s probably only because you’ll want to keep playing through the game. Also no experience points can be gained in private rooms with your friends so you’re stuck to only 9 in a party when you want to gain XP points and unlock the extras.
If you like games such as the previous call of duty games, rainbow six and ghost recon then this will be right up your street. The best 360 game I have played and easily the best first person shooter I’ve played online.
Don’t miss out on this one.
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Sun 11/11/07 at 16:49
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
The Call of Duty series has always been hugely popular and has provided some of the best, if not the best, World War II shooters available on any games console. This time however the move has been made towards a modern combat game – hence the name Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare.

The first thing you’ll notice as you start off your first mission is the excellent graphics on show and the great attention to detail. The overall atmosphere created by the game just feels so natural and at the same time seems to capture the feel of a wartime environment right down to the smallest details. Add to this some excellent sound effects and character voices and you find yourself with a game that is very special.
If you’ve got yourself a high definition TV and surround sound then you really are in for a very entertaining experience.

Throughout the game you follow the story by playing the part of an SAS soldier and also as a US marine – this is quite clever as it lets you see the overall storyline unfold from different locations and different settings which make for a much more enjoyable and in depth single player game.

It’s not all confined to you and the gun though, some sections involve you manning the guns in an air ship and providing air support for the troops on the ground. It’s the small extras like this that make this quite easily the best single player war based first person shooter around.

Once you’ve played through the single player game your likely to give it another go on veteran which will test your skills a fair bit more. You will also have unlocked the arcade mode which plays through levels in the form of an old style arcade game – your given points for each kill and get bonus multipliers and extras for the more kills in a row you get. After that the multiplayer game calls and this is where COD4 shines through.

The multiplayer options and overall gameplay available is by far the best fun I’ve had in any online game. Yes that’s out of every game I’ve played. You get all the usual gamemodes you’d expect from any online shooter as well as a few new ones and with space for 18 players there is always someone on the enemy team not too far away to get a shot at. The ranking system is also quite clever – you are awarded experience points for each game you play – this in turn will allow you to unlock new weapons, perks and challenges.
The perks are additional skills your character can have – from better aiming to more powerful bullets and being able to sprint for longer.

The perks allow you to customise your character a little to suit your style of play. The challenges are certain tasks that can be done during the online multiplayer mode to gain more experience points – things like shoot down an enemy helicopter or kill a certain number of enemies with a particular weapon. The more experience points you earn the higher your rank and the more you are able to unlock and use.

With a great range of maps included and plans to offer more at a later date as additional downloadable content there really is a lot to the multiplayer game that will have you playing it again and again. There are also a huge range of weapons to get your hands on and bring destruction to the enemy team.
I’ve been on this as much as possible since I got my copy of the game and it’s easily the most impressive single player and multiplayer game around at the moment.

The only downside to the game itself is the single player game seemed a bit short but that’s probably only because you’ll want to keep playing through the game. Also no experience points can be gained in private rooms with your friends so you’re stuck to only 9 in a party when you want to gain XP points and unlock the extras.
If you like games such as the previous call of duty games, rainbow six and ghost recon then this will be right up your street. The best 360 game I have played and easily the best first person shooter I’ve played online.
Don’t miss out on this one.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.