GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I wanna upgrade my graphics card"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 10/11/07 at 11:47
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
I don't intend to build a new computer yet, hence why I'm aiming for an AGP one. This upgrade will be only temporary, then maybe in a year or two I'll build a new machine.

So, all I'm asking is this:

I have a Sapphire Radeon 9550. 128MB version, and a 350W PSU.

I want to upgrade to the Sapphire HD 2600 PRO, 512MB AGP version.

Will I need a new power supply to support the new graphics card?

Danke!
Mon 12/11/07 at 17:33
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
Hmm. Maybe I'll just wait a while and get the games when I build a new computer. There aren't really any AGP cards which appear to run all that well by todays standards.

Edit: Oh yeah, on the subject of power consumption, I forgot to mention: I have 2 hard disk drives.
Sun 11/11/07 at 19:26
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Nice little table showing power consumption of the 2600 PRO relative to the other cards I mentioned.
Sun 11/11/07 at 15:01
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
Yeah, voltages are slipping a bit too.

+12V is running at 11.8V
+3.3V is running at 3.2V
CPU core should be running at 1.55V but is running at 1.5V
and CPU I/O is running at 1.45V when it should be 1.5V
Sun 11/11/07 at 14:54
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Look at a 7900GS or a X1950 PRO. You're probably borderline on power consumption though.
Sun 11/11/07 at 13:47
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
Hmmm.

That page was very helpful, in a disappointing way. The HD 2600 Pro looks to struggle with newer games.

I'm looking to upgrade so that I don't have to build a whole new machine just yet, but want to play games like Bioshock, Gears of War and Operation Flashpoint 2. OF2 might not be out by the time I build a new computer anyway, but I was hoping...

Could anyone recommend me a graphics card costing £100 or less, running AGP with 512MB onboard memory that's capible of running these games smoothly?
Sun 11/11/07 at 10:39
Staff
Don't think so, checked what I could see for that card and the apparently dont need an extra power connector so they are not likely to use much more than your current one. See this link for more information.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2151689,00.asp
Sat 10/11/07 at 11:47
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
I don't intend to build a new computer yet, hence why I'm aiming for an AGP one. This upgrade will be only temporary, then maybe in a year or two I'll build a new machine.

So, all I'm asking is this:

I have a Sapphire Radeon 9550. 128MB version, and a 350W PSU.

I want to upgrade to the Sapphire HD 2600 PRO, 512MB AGP version.

Will I need a new power supply to support the new graphics card?

Danke!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.