GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Network prob on Win 98SE"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 13/11/02 at 12:55
Regular
I've just dismantled my small network at home between two computers to join a larger network elsewhere. However, when I tried to plug back into my old small network recently it has suddenly stopped working.
I've tried all the basic stuff like File and Print sharing, making sure I have a client, protocol etc. installed, but neither computers will recognise each other. I did change some setings when joining the other network, but I have changed all these back to how they were before.

I even tried running a game and trying to find it on the other compueter, but even that doesn't work. Any of you techno network-wizards got any ideas? Cheers!

I'm running Windows 98 SE by the way.
Thu 14/11/02 at 16:55
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Ask in the PC forum as this is mainly used as a XBox forum, you would probably get a answer in the PC forum.
Thu 14/11/02 at 14:41
Regular
"Wotz a Tagline...?"
POP.
Wed 13/11/02 at 16:30
Regular
"Wotz a Tagline...?"
Right, I'm not sure what is meant by individual addresses, do you mean seperate names for each computer?

And I have no Firewall, and no internet, it is a direct cable link between two PC's with no hub.
Does that make things any clearer?
Wed 13/11/02 at 15:05
Regular
"gametag = viperfire"
Have you tried to ping one machine from the other? Do you have a firewall in place? If so temporally disable it. How is your network set-up, are the machines directly connected or do you go through a hub?
Wed 13/11/02 at 14:19
have you set up the network cards own individual address???
Wed 13/11/02 at 12:55
Regular
"Wotz a Tagline...?"
I've just dismantled my small network at home between two computers to join a larger network elsewhere. However, when I tried to plug back into my old small network recently it has suddenly stopped working.
I've tried all the basic stuff like File and Print sharing, making sure I have a client, protocol etc. installed, but neither computers will recognise each other. I did change some setings when joining the other network, but I have changed all these back to how they were before.

I even tried running a game and trying to find it on the other compueter, but even that doesn't work. Any of you techno network-wizards got any ideas? Cheers!

I'm running Windows 98 SE by the way.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.