GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Europe gets a raw deal, but why?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 13/11/02 at 16:11
Regular
It happens time and time again in the games industry, big companies release so called "special editions" or "launch day offers" that only take effect in Japan and subsequently don't make it over here (there even lucky to take effect in America in some cases) but my question is WHY?

Sure, Japan is absolutely nuts on gaming and as a result franchises such as Final Fantasy, Mario And Zelda have an extremely large fanbase over there and so anything closely related or linked into the various franchises are bound to be popular, BUT! why when we in Europe also are as great fans of such franchises are we getting continually given the Raw Deal as it were?

Could it be that games companies just can't be bothered? surely not, surely they should be bothered when they know that games are becoming just as popular over here and in the states as they are in the land of the rising sun, It simply Does Not Make Sense.

The main reason (in most cases) that companies exist is for one soul reason above all others, To Make Money, so ask yourself this, why when these companies know dam well that they can make additional sales and profits by following suit with these offers do they continually dissapoint and tick us off by not doing so? Surely they would wan't release special offers over here if nothing else but to keep us loyal.

Even in the case of other companies like Nintendo for instance who claim that they care about the consumer above all else (not above money obviously) why don't they eat their words by giving us What WE Want.
Sure, latley they have triedto give us the "better deal" as it were by offering us their latest console for the lowest price possible, and don't get me wrong thats all very well and fine, but once customers purchase their console they can't expect to just that and thats it and hope that the consumer will buy every subsequent release that comes out on it for the full (or near full) RRP.

Nintendo's latest unbeleivable offer to those once again lucky jappy chappies, ties in with regard to the latest release in the long running Legend Of Zelda series "the winds of Takato" where upon and after preordering and purchasing the game on release date they recieve a disc containing not only the Smash hit and arguably the best zelda game ever made if not the best game ever "The Legend Of Zelda Ocarina Of Time" but also the previously unreleased URA Zelda Expansion Pack containing new dungeons and the like, bus also! not content with including just that the disc also has footage of forthcoming titles Resident Evil (or should I say Biohazard) Zero and F-zero! all for FREE!

Now you would think that judging by my reaction and many others that would love to get their hands on this disc that they would release it in all three regions (including Europe) as it would no doubt shift a heck of a lot more copies of the game (like we allready needed an incentive) and keep most of us happy and loyal at the same time, But judging by other recent Japan only exclusives (or thought to be exclusive at this time) like the demo discs i can't help but think were about to get another Raw Deal, *sigh* is'nt it great to live in Europe...

slik ~_~
Wed 13/11/02 at 16:11
Regular
"DS..."
It happens time and time again in the games industry, big companies release so called "special editions" or "launch day offers" that only take effect in Japan and subsequently don't make it over here (there even lucky to take effect in America in some cases) but my question is WHY?

Sure, Japan is absolutely nuts on gaming and as a result franchises such as Final Fantasy, Mario And Zelda have an extremely large fanbase over there and so anything closely related or linked into the various franchises are bound to be popular, BUT! why when we in Europe also are as great fans of such franchises are we getting continually given the Raw Deal as it were?

Could it be that games companies just can't be bothered? surely not, surely they should be bothered when they know that games are becoming just as popular over here and in the states as they are in the land of the rising sun, It simply Does Not Make Sense.

The main reason (in most cases) that companies exist is for one soul reason above all others, To Make Money, so ask yourself this, why when these companies know dam well that they can make additional sales and profits by following suit with these offers do they continually dissapoint and tick us off by not doing so? Surely they would wan't release special offers over here if nothing else but to keep us loyal.

Even in the case of other companies like Nintendo for instance who claim that they care about the consumer above all else (not above money obviously) why don't they eat their words by giving us What WE Want.
Sure, latley they have triedto give us the "better deal" as it were by offering us their latest console for the lowest price possible, and don't get me wrong thats all very well and fine, but once customers purchase their console they can't expect to just that and thats it and hope that the consumer will buy every subsequent release that comes out on it for the full (or near full) RRP.

Nintendo's latest unbeleivable offer to those once again lucky jappy chappies, ties in with regard to the latest release in the long running Legend Of Zelda series "the winds of Takato" where upon and after preordering and purchasing the game on release date they recieve a disc containing not only the Smash hit and arguably the best zelda game ever made if not the best game ever "The Legend Of Zelda Ocarina Of Time" but also the previously unreleased URA Zelda Expansion Pack containing new dungeons and the like, bus also! not content with including just that the disc also has footage of forthcoming titles Resident Evil (or should I say Biohazard) Zero and F-zero! all for FREE!

Now you would think that judging by my reaction and many others that would love to get their hands on this disc that they would release it in all three regions (including Europe) as it would no doubt shift a heck of a lot more copies of the game (like we allready needed an incentive) and keep most of us happy and loyal at the same time, But judging by other recent Japan only exclusives (or thought to be exclusive at this time) like the demo discs i can't help but think were about to get another Raw Deal, *sigh* is'nt it great to live in Europe...

slik ~_~
Thu 14/11/02 at 09:51
Regular
"DS..."
*POP*

slik ~_~
Thu 14/11/02 at 10:41
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
England got Raw Deal last night on BBC1...ARNIE!!

But seriously, yes, I agree, we do tend to be slightly ignored when it comes to game 'extras' like special edition box-sets, free demo disks, etc, despite being a very large and dedicated market.
We did have the Metal Gear Solid S.E set, but that's the only one I can think of, plus Konami occasionally put a demo disk of their next big game in with a title, i.e MGS2 demo with ZOE, MGS1 demo with ISS Pro on PSone.

I bet if we went to a big game shop in Tokyo we wouldn't believe our eyes at all the snazzy box-sets with loads of freebies inside.
Thu 14/11/02 at 10:44
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
And we haven't yet/never will get the Nintendo "Q" officially released over here.
Regular
"Remember me?"
Totoro wrote:
> I bet if we went to a big game shop in Tokyo we wouldn't believe our
> eyes at all the snazzy box-sets with loads of freebies inside.

Big incentive to learn Japanese, I think.
"Darkness, always"
I can feel the inds of change to be honest. The gaming market in Japan is not what it was, while the rest of the world, the market is growing faster than mould on week-old bread. Companies like Nintendo are trying to encourage more growth in Japan by lavishing the market with freebies, but eventually, they will have to realise that the real money to be made is between the US and Europe.
Thu 14/11/02 at 10:47
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
Dark Mark™ wrote:
> Totoro wrote:
> I bet if we went to a big game shop in Tokyo we wouldn't believe our
> eyes at all the snazzy box-sets with loads of freebies inside.
>
> *
>
> Big incentive to learn Japanese, I think.

I have been tempted to try and learn it, especially as i'm a big game & anime fan, but, heck, all those strange symbols look exactly the same and they talk really fast.
Thu 14/11/02 at 10:50
Regular
"DS..."
Insane Bartender wrote:
> Companies like Nintendo are
> trying to encourage more growth in Japan by lavishing the market with
> freebies, but eventually, they will have to realise that the real
> money to be made is between the US and Europe.

Thats exactly the point i have been trying to get across and hopefully the Big N will see sense in releasing the disc over here and refrain from screwing Europe and the US over in the future regarding unbeleivable promotional offers such as this.

slik ~_~
Thu 14/11/02 at 14:26
Regular
"bing bang bong"
I sometimes reckon that Nintendo actually hates its customers - it has stated before that it makes videogames to make money (try and get Sony or Microsoft to admit that, heh). Why it treats its consumers like dirt, especially in Europe, is beyond me.

Although they're not as bad as they used to be, they've got some way to go before they're in the same league as Sony were when they introduced the Playstation back in '94. I think the big N needs new direction, and they should find that when Yamauchi finally retires.
Thu 14/11/02 at 14:30
Regular
"Remember me?"
Totoro wrote:
> I have been tempted to try and learn it, especially as i'm a big game
> & anime fan, but, heck, all those strange symbols look exactly the
> same and they talk really fast.

*Del Boy voice*

They don't talk proper like what we do.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.