GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What do you like to see in a game?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 13/11/02 at 18:32
Regular
It's a big question. Game developers ponder it on for hours. It can affect games sales by millions. Well? What do you want to see in a game?

I don't quite know about me (there are many different aspects of gaming that I do and don't like) but perhaps you can answer this rather trivial success divider. Well, what?

Actually I do have an idea of what I would like to see in most games. First and foremost, I like stealth (unlike MoJo JoJo) I really don't like games where all you do is blast those * on a first class trip to Hell. My advice to you if you like stealth, is to avoid games with titles like 'Machine Gun Madness 4'. I like the idea of trying not to give yourself away to the enemies five seconds after you begin the mission. I know games aren't always realistic but in real life covert missions aren't carried out with the infiltrator carrying a grenade launcher and running around like the angle of death blowing people to the dark lord of pain.

Another thing is reality. I don't mean reality as in there cannot be any fantasy games. I couldn't live without my beloved Lord of the Rings! I mean realism as in you can cut everything in half if you have sword. For instance, in Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast you can go up to the wall with your lightsaber and if it touches the wall it makes an orange mark. Try sticking your lightsaber in the wall on an elevator! One big, long, vertical line! In Metal Gear Solid 2 you can shoot a bag of flour and the contents shoot out onto the floor and into the air causing Snake to sneeze. You can even shoot each individual beer bottle on the wall or apple in the kitchen. Games have such great engines nowadays that you can do almost anything ( well… in most games anyway) So many things enhance the player’s role and make them feel as if you are more 'into' the game.

The final but not the least thing is great story. In MGS2 (I’ve mentioned it a lot of times now haven't I? It's because it's the best game ever!) The story is constantly twisting and turning and when ever you think you've figured out the ending it changes (I won't give away the story in case somebody hasn't played the game and wants to) it's really great and so many things can happen in a good story. I especially like the games where what you do affects the ending and story of the game. I actually think that the story is by far the most important aspects of gaming. Look at Metal Gear 1 and 2 (the originals) they were 2D but that didn't stop me playing them to death, did it?

I'm afraid I'm going to have to stop fairly soon as I have got some homework and my biology teacher'll have my head if I don't finish my project soon.

Cheers
Knick Knack
Tue 26/11/02 at 22:10
Regular
hmm, it doesn't say Gameaday Winner under Knick Knack's post.......
Tue 26/11/02 at 19:50
Regular
"Damn dirty apes!"
AfroJoe wrote:
> The post isn't yellow.
>
> :-S

No... but your name is!
Fri 15/11/02 at 17:01
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
The post isn't yellow.

:-S
Fri 15/11/02 at 13:39
Regular
yes, well done, you deserve it, your post quality has gone up and this is worth it, hey wait a second, I posted a spoof on this day, that means I didn't win!?
*cries*
Still, well done.
Fri 15/11/02 at 13:34
Regular
"Damn dirty apes!"
I won?

Did I win a GAD? (I haven't checked the lists lately)
Fri 15/11/02 at 11:36
Regular
"sweats salad dressi"
Knick Knack wrote:
> No... I like posting things like this... I have never won a GAD ( I've
> been here for 250 days!) and probably never will. I gave up trying a
> good 5 months ago.

How sad.....yet you still won so it sounds kind of cheesy now.:D

Congrats dude.
Thu 14/11/02 at 19:35
Regular
"Damn dirty apes!"
Gameplay is important but games with good stories are like interactive novels... So gameplay or story? Let's take it to the vote. The next time I visit this forum again I'll see how many people think what.
Then I'll declare that aspect of gaming the official most important thing in games.
Thu 14/11/02 at 19:30
Regular
Yeah, I went through my Newbie phase aswell, I think everyone does. Becoming a regular transforms on how you act on these forums.
Thu 14/11/02 at 19:22
Regular
"bing bang bong"
I've been a regular for about 36 hours now :OD

The forums I usually live on are dieing on their backsides.

In response to the topic question, I like many things in a game, but the #1 priority is the control system. If the game isn't fun to play, then I won't play it. But even then there's a few exceptions..
Thu 14/11/02 at 19:08
Regular
not me, but I'm a hardened forum regular.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.