GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"If the UK were up to date..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 13/11/02 at 19:59
Regular
I'd have ADSL if the stupid people at BT could increase their puny technology to take Broadband from further than 5.5km from the exchange. As it is, our exchange IS enabled, so BT don't give a damn about anyone who still can't get Broadband in the area, there is no help on their website for 'people who live outside the 5.5km radius of the exchange' and on the phone they just keep shrugging their shoulders.

Now, I could just keep phoning their freephone number every day saying 'have you improved your service yet?' until they get fed up, but this is more likely to have the effect of banning me from BT services all together. I really feel like there is nothing else I can do at the moment.

Satellite Broadband is coming, but it's £99 to install a new dish, then it only offers downloads, not uploads. It's also not being supported by many ISPs at the moment either.

If people can get Broadband in the US, which has a much larger area for each exchange than the UK due to the size of the towns and cities and the general spacing of the houses, then the technology must be there. After all, only 3.5% of houses have Broadband here, compared to 17% over there. Even Spain has Satellite Broadband set up in some cities.

It's all just part of this strange affliction this country has with supressing technology. Mad.
Wed 13/11/02 at 19:59
"possibly impossible"
I'd have ADSL if the stupid people at BT could increase their puny technology to take Broadband from further than 5.5km from the exchange. As it is, our exchange IS enabled, so BT don't give a damn about anyone who still can't get Broadband in the area, there is no help on their website for 'people who live outside the 5.5km radius of the exchange' and on the phone they just keep shrugging their shoulders.

Now, I could just keep phoning their freephone number every day saying 'have you improved your service yet?' until they get fed up, but this is more likely to have the effect of banning me from BT services all together. I really feel like there is nothing else I can do at the moment.

Satellite Broadband is coming, but it's £99 to install a new dish, then it only offers downloads, not uploads. It's also not being supported by many ISPs at the moment either.

If people can get Broadband in the US, which has a much larger area for each exchange than the UK due to the size of the towns and cities and the general spacing of the houses, then the technology must be there. After all, only 3.5% of houses have Broadband here, compared to 17% over there. Even Spain has Satellite Broadband set up in some cities.

It's all just part of this strange affliction this country has with supressing technology. Mad.
Wed 13/11/02 at 20:02
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
My village doesnt even have a trigger level yet.
Wed 13/11/02 at 22:28
Regular
"Jags is teh l33t"
i live in the middle of an area surrounded by people with broadband. Arg the annoyance! im going to phone BT tomorrow and poke em.
Wed 13/11/02 at 22:32
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
heh, I know, we got a trig level about 3 months ago. We need 500. We've got...wait for it.....35 grrrrrrr Another thing, the town next to us is bigger, but they only need 200???? what the hell is that all about? I say we all attack the BT tower and burn it, and bludgeon the BT staff with phones..... and stuff

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.