GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[TV] Flight of the Conchords"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 05/08/13 at 02:46
Regular
"How Ironic"
Where do you start with a comedy folk duo from New Zealand? That’s exactly what their manager, Murray Hewitt (Rhys Darby) wonders near enough every episode as Brett and Jemaine get themselves into hijinks, while attempting to bring their unique music to the United States of America.

From first viewing, the style of the show is one that may seem uncomfortable and awkward, with the two Conchords reacting unusually to typical situations in everyday life, but their upbringing in New Zealand eventually reveals itself to be the obvious factor behind their oddities. They’re two small ex-shepherds with a talent for music losing themselves in the land of dreams.

Murray, their part-time manager, part-time New Zealand consulate employee, attempts to guide them to success, with his some-what unorthodox techniques and disregard for reality. However misguided he maybe, Murray is in my opinion the gold-mine of humour for the show, and I sincerely doubt the show would have had any success with the absence of Murray. The New Zealand accent, as well as national identity, become the subject of mockery throughout the two series, and Murray being the proud native he is ultimately shines as a comedy character.

If Murray is the gold mine, the occasional gem can be found in the form of the songs that Brett and Jemaine write. These are the focal points as they usually spell out the scenarios that have happened during the episode. The songs, despite being jovially written, are very easy to enjoy and appreciate because of the raw talents of both Brett and Jemaine, who are actually very talented, both technically and artistically. Alongside a video which often accompanies their songs, the comedy is bountiful, whether it is featuring David Bowie at different stages in his career appearing to Brett in dreams to give him career advice (Bowie being played by Jemaine), or Jemaine using his skills as an Art Garfunkel impersonator to sleep with a woman. Obscure, but somehow made realistic in this show.

One character of the show I can’t connect with is Mel, the only fan of Flight of the Conchords (or as Murray calls her, “the fan-base”). Mel is the typical band stalker, following the duo everywhere they go and trying to be involved in their lives as often as possible. As far as I’m concerned, she doesn’t actually add any comedy value, but rather just interrupts the flow whenever she appears.

On the flip-side, Dave, a local pawn shop owner, is a friend of Brett and Jemaine, despite never sharing any actual brotherly love or compassion with the pair. He does add to the comedy, usually by making up some sort of lie, like his parents being two Chinese lodgers who just happen to own pictures of him when he was a child.

Flight of the Conchords certainly requires a certain sense of humour to admire it fully, an off-the-wall surreal humour. It’s difficult to watch at first, especially if you’ve never heard of it before and you’re not ready for what you’re about to see, but if you like the abstract, you’ll love it.
Sun 11/08/13 at 21:17
Regular
"How Ironic"
Is this Miss New Zealand Murray?
Tue 06/08/13 at 08:16
Regular
"I like turtles"
The Polish cover version of Doggy Bounce came out 13 years before the crazy dogs version. Is that good or bad? :)

Love this programme but it is very much an acquired taste, my Mrs. can't stand it.
Tue 06/08/13 at 00:50
Regular
"How Ironic"
I'm that used to changing titles, I forgot to put one in! ;-)
Mon 05/08/13 at 22:39
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Did wonder where the TV title was haha ;¬)
Mon 05/08/13 at 02:46
Regular
"How Ironic"
Where do you start with a comedy folk duo from New Zealand? That’s exactly what their manager, Murray Hewitt (Rhys Darby) wonders near enough every episode as Brett and Jemaine get themselves into hijinks, while attempting to bring their unique music to the United States of America.

From first viewing, the style of the show is one that may seem uncomfortable and awkward, with the two Conchords reacting unusually to typical situations in everyday life, but their upbringing in New Zealand eventually reveals itself to be the obvious factor behind their oddities. They’re two small ex-shepherds with a talent for music losing themselves in the land of dreams.

Murray, their part-time manager, part-time New Zealand consulate employee, attempts to guide them to success, with his some-what unorthodox techniques and disregard for reality. However misguided he maybe, Murray is in my opinion the gold-mine of humour for the show, and I sincerely doubt the show would have had any success with the absence of Murray. The New Zealand accent, as well as national identity, become the subject of mockery throughout the two series, and Murray being the proud native he is ultimately shines as a comedy character.

If Murray is the gold mine, the occasional gem can be found in the form of the songs that Brett and Jemaine write. These are the focal points as they usually spell out the scenarios that have happened during the episode. The songs, despite being jovially written, are very easy to enjoy and appreciate because of the raw talents of both Brett and Jemaine, who are actually very talented, both technically and artistically. Alongside a video which often accompanies their songs, the comedy is bountiful, whether it is featuring David Bowie at different stages in his career appearing to Brett in dreams to give him career advice (Bowie being played by Jemaine), or Jemaine using his skills as an Art Garfunkel impersonator to sleep with a woman. Obscure, but somehow made realistic in this show.

One character of the show I can’t connect with is Mel, the only fan of Flight of the Conchords (or as Murray calls her, “the fan-base”). Mel is the typical band stalker, following the duo everywhere they go and trying to be involved in their lives as often as possible. As far as I’m concerned, she doesn’t actually add any comedy value, but rather just interrupts the flow whenever she appears.

On the flip-side, Dave, a local pawn shop owner, is a friend of Brett and Jemaine, despite never sharing any actual brotherly love or compassion with the pair. He does add to the comedy, usually by making up some sort of lie, like his parents being two Chinese lodgers who just happen to own pictures of him when he was a child.

Flight of the Conchords certainly requires a certain sense of humour to admire it fully, an off-the-wall surreal humour. It’s difficult to watch at first, especially if you’ve never heard of it before and you’re not ready for what you’re about to see, but if you like the abstract, you’ll love it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.