GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"OXM (UK) Is the Official mag better than the rest?"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 14/03/02 at 19:02
Regular
*warning* Long post- may be dangerous to slow readers...

Right so now at the long awaited launch of Microsoft's new creation- the Xbox there are three magazines out striving to get you the information that you need (in exchange for some money).
So the question stands which is the best one to buy if any? Read on my friends to find out...

Number of Issues out:

XBM-Published by Paragon Publishing (the guys Monty Python don't like) this magazine has now got three issues printed, which in my view is not that wise as the magazine was out way before the actual launch of the console. This meant that most of their reviews were based on US releases or Beta codes which doesn't always showcase the PAL or finished version. ***

Xgamer- This magazine is published by Future Publishing who have in the past produced magazines such as Gamesmaster and Arcade. It now has two issues out, a special launch mag and their first normal one. They haven't reviewed many games before this issue meaning they can review more UK games.

OXM (UK)- This is the official Magazine who are published by Future and have a little mutual friendship with Xgamer. They have got two issues out, once again one preview and one first normal issue. They have promised to only review FULL UK games, so they better... ****

Freebies:

XBM- They have given away a few videos with their mag which tend to be a bit plastic and commercial. Also the voice sounds like Julia Reed which annoys me.**

Xgamer- They have also given away one or two vids but they do look a little tacky and are short. But the last video had quite good Halo footage which impressed me a bit.***

OXM (UK)- They have given away one video which was the longest of the lot and was of an average quality. They also have cover demo DVDs which have a few playable demos, movies and some special features. I haven't tested these yet due to the lack of Xbox.
Overall layout of the magazine:

XBM- Quite a good layout with quite alot of thought going into text boxes etc. Also they have got the letters cheets at the back, which is always a good thing.****

Xgamer- Again a well thought out layout with all the sections in the right place. The news section is especially nice to look at.****

OXM (UK) Well though the mag's graphic layout is very good with well placed boxes etc the letters aren't at the back which I think is a bit of a necessity, but that's just my opinion.***

Art:

XBM- The art in the mag is alright, but alot of it is just edited screenshots which look a bit dodgy. ***

Xgamer- Some good work here, except for the cartoons on the back inside cover which look like something off of Cartoon Network.***1/2

OXM (UK)- A great Halo picture on the front cover which really captures the game. Many examples of quality artwork.****

Humour:

XBM- An important factor which XBM tries too hard for. Bad and childish jokes in here which remind me of Gamesmaster for some reason. Oh yeah and one load of bad puns...**

Xgamer- Quite good humour shown here but not amazingly presented.***

OXM (UK)- Has somewhat a older type of humour which I find more well, funny which makes it a lot easier to read. ****

Quality of Screenshots:

XBM- I must admit that this magazine has some great screenshots which don't show too many 'jaggies'.****

Xgamer- Average screenshots really, not much out of the ordinary at all, a mixed bag to be unexact.***

OXM (UK)- Some quite poor screenshots in here, probably due to some of the sizes of them. But the Halo screens make up some points for it. ***

And now for the important stuff...

NEWS:

XBM- No real groundbreaking stuff in here, but good content anyway.***

Xgamer- Most of the news tends to be about rumours, but they had some stuff on Project Ego. Which was nice.***

OXM (UK)- Some refreshing content in here and alot of features about abroad aswell.****

PREVIEWS:

XBM-Resonably good but not many I was desperate to see...***

Xgamer- Hits the spot this time especially with the little known and great looking Project Ego.****

OXM (UK)- Good, but gets a little boring and could do with more.***

REVIEWS:

XBM- A good system of having more than one opinion to finalise the score, but they are reviewing too many US games.***

Xgamer- Not bad but not good either, disappointing.***

OXM (UK)- These reviews are XCEPTIONAL!!! (excuse second bad pun this week) I have read their Halo review about eleven times it was so good. *****

Totals and summary:

XBM-*** An okay magazine which is not too shabby for £3.20 but I feel that I've missed alot and that they could try a bit harder.

Xgamer-*** Again a good magazine but it has some flaws which could do with ironing out.

OXM (UK)-**** I definately recommend this magazine to anyone, if you want a Xbox only mag this is the one to get. Even with the £5.99 price tag it delivers the goods. It could improve though.

So there we go OXM (UK) is a respectable magazine with good staff working on it.

You have been reading
TS
*goes off in search of some kind of beverage*
Thu 14/03/02 at 19:02
Regular
"Unknown Legend"
*warning* Long post- may be dangerous to slow readers...

Right so now at the long awaited launch of Microsoft's new creation- the Xbox there are three magazines out striving to get you the information that you need (in exchange for some money).
So the question stands which is the best one to buy if any? Read on my friends to find out...

Number of Issues out:

XBM-Published by Paragon Publishing (the guys Monty Python don't like) this magazine has now got three issues printed, which in my view is not that wise as the magazine was out way before the actual launch of the console. This meant that most of their reviews were based on US releases or Beta codes which doesn't always showcase the PAL or finished version. ***

Xgamer- This magazine is published by Future Publishing who have in the past produced magazines such as Gamesmaster and Arcade. It now has two issues out, a special launch mag and their first normal one. They haven't reviewed many games before this issue meaning they can review more UK games.

OXM (UK)- This is the official Magazine who are published by Future and have a little mutual friendship with Xgamer. They have got two issues out, once again one preview and one first normal issue. They have promised to only review FULL UK games, so they better... ****

Freebies:

XBM- They have given away a few videos with their mag which tend to be a bit plastic and commercial. Also the voice sounds like Julia Reed which annoys me.**

Xgamer- They have also given away one or two vids but they do look a little tacky and are short. But the last video had quite good Halo footage which impressed me a bit.***

OXM (UK)- They have given away one video which was the longest of the lot and was of an average quality. They also have cover demo DVDs which have a few playable demos, movies and some special features. I haven't tested these yet due to the lack of Xbox.
Overall layout of the magazine:

XBM- Quite a good layout with quite alot of thought going into text boxes etc. Also they have got the letters cheets at the back, which is always a good thing.****

Xgamer- Again a well thought out layout with all the sections in the right place. The news section is especially nice to look at.****

OXM (UK) Well though the mag's graphic layout is very good with well placed boxes etc the letters aren't at the back which I think is a bit of a necessity, but that's just my opinion.***

Art:

XBM- The art in the mag is alright, but alot of it is just edited screenshots which look a bit dodgy. ***

Xgamer- Some good work here, except for the cartoons on the back inside cover which look like something off of Cartoon Network.***1/2

OXM (UK)- A great Halo picture on the front cover which really captures the game. Many examples of quality artwork.****

Humour:

XBM- An important factor which XBM tries too hard for. Bad and childish jokes in here which remind me of Gamesmaster for some reason. Oh yeah and one load of bad puns...**

Xgamer- Quite good humour shown here but not amazingly presented.***

OXM (UK)- Has somewhat a older type of humour which I find more well, funny which makes it a lot easier to read. ****

Quality of Screenshots:

XBM- I must admit that this magazine has some great screenshots which don't show too many 'jaggies'.****

Xgamer- Average screenshots really, not much out of the ordinary at all, a mixed bag to be unexact.***

OXM (UK)- Some quite poor screenshots in here, probably due to some of the sizes of them. But the Halo screens make up some points for it. ***

And now for the important stuff...

NEWS:

XBM- No real groundbreaking stuff in here, but good content anyway.***

Xgamer- Most of the news tends to be about rumours, but they had some stuff on Project Ego. Which was nice.***

OXM (UK)- Some refreshing content in here and alot of features about abroad aswell.****

PREVIEWS:

XBM-Resonably good but not many I was desperate to see...***

Xgamer- Hits the spot this time especially with the little known and great looking Project Ego.****

OXM (UK)- Good, but gets a little boring and could do with more.***

REVIEWS:

XBM- A good system of having more than one opinion to finalise the score, but they are reviewing too many US games.***

Xgamer- Not bad but not good either, disappointing.***

OXM (UK)- These reviews are XCEPTIONAL!!! (excuse second bad pun this week) I have read their Halo review about eleven times it was so good. *****

Totals and summary:

XBM-*** An okay magazine which is not too shabby for £3.20 but I feel that I've missed alot and that they could try a bit harder.

Xgamer-*** Again a good magazine but it has some flaws which could do with ironing out.

OXM (UK)-**** I definately recommend this magazine to anyone, if you want a Xbox only mag this is the one to get. Even with the £5.99 price tag it delivers the goods. It could improve though.

So there we go OXM (UK) is a respectable magazine with good staff working on it.

You have been reading
TS
*goes off in search of some kind of beverage*
Sat 16/03/02 at 23:13
Regular
"BOSE"
what demos are on the official Xbox magazine? and how much is the magazine?
Sat 16/03/02 at 23:14
Regular
"BOSE"
what demos are on the official Xbox magazine? and how much is the magazine? and they're demos right? not non-interactive movies?
Sat 16/03/02 at 23:44
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
The mag is between £5 - £6. I say that cause people reported all kinds of prices they were paying. ;-))

As for the demo, it is nicely put together. You have interactive demo's, movies and I think there was another little section, like a features section or something.
Sun 17/03/02 at 01:35
Regular
"BOSE"
that's cool but i meant what games are playable? :S
Sun 17/03/02 at 01:51
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Games that are playable are Project Gothem, Mad Dash Racing, Fuzion Frenzy and NHL Hitz.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.