GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Oh Crap"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 14/03/02 at 17:59
Regular
Taken from Upwire.com

"Metal Gear Solid will look better on Xbox than it does on PlayStation 2," says drunk French Xbox exec at launch party.
It seems our friend Solid Snake is more slippery than he seems. While there have long been rumours that Snake and pals would eventually appear on the Xbox (as well as the almost forgotten memory of Konami announcing Metal Gear Solid X for the Microsoft console), the words above were spoken last night at the official Xbox launch in London, by none other than a top Microsoft executive.

Michael Cassius is the man in question, the person behind ensuring the Xbox is a huge European success. Cassius was questioned about Sony's advertising blitz around the launch of the Xbox along with the release of Metal Gear Solid 2, and was quoted as saying: "Sony's plan has backfired a little, as Metal Gear Solid will look better on Xbox than it does on PlayStation 2." While he would offer no further comment on the subject, Cassius also revealed that he would love to work with Squaresoft and the only companies they hadn't approached to make Xbox games were Sony and Nintendo. Funny that.

So is Snake gonna sneak to the Xbox? Well if he does, you can bet your bottom dollar that it won't be any time in the near future - Sony would be absolutely livid with Konami if they allowed their star player to stray. However, should the lure of Xbox be enough, it's safe to say a Metal Gear game will appear soon enough. It's just a question of when.

I dont feel so good I am buying the gamecube because I dont like the x-box but that isn't good news for my ps2 either or gamecube
Fri 15/03/02 at 11:05
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
WòókieeMøn§??® wrote:
> I've read many reports on MGS2 and Xbox, including one from Konami specifically
> denying that MGS2 will be appearing.

yeh ive seen that one too, and then I seen the one which I pasted below, which totally contradicts it, confused the hell outta me.

>Personally, I think Sony should pay for PS2 exclusivity.

Agreed.
Fri 15/03/02 at 10:55
"High polygon count"
I've read many reports on MGS2 and Xbox, including one from Konami specifically denying that MGS2 will be appearing.

I do think, however, that a Metal Gear of some description will appear - whether that be MGS2 or a hybrid version of MGS1 & 2 will only be known when Konami make an official announcement.

Personally, I think Sony should pay for PS2 exclusivity.
Fri 15/03/02 at 10:49
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
and some more...

- Konami Confirms MGS X for Xbox

- Konami announces MGS X, Crash Bandicoot X, and several other games for the Xbox console.

Konami of Japan announced today that it will develop several high-profile games for the Microsoft Xbox and other next-generation consoles. The major announcement was the confirmation of Metal Gear Solid X for the Xbox. It will be a port of the upcoming Metal Gear Solid 2, which signifies an end to the brief console exclusivity of the franchise. The other games being published by Konami on the Xbox console include Jurassic Park X, Crash Bandicoot X, Silent Hill X, and a game based on director John Carpenter's The Thing.
Crash Bandicoot X, Jurassic Park X, and The Thing are all part of an agreement announced last December between Konami and Universal Interactive Studios. UIS, who holds the licensing rights to all three franchises, will develop the games for next-generation platforms, including the PS2 and the Xbox. Additionally, the two companies plan to develop and publish those games on portable and cell phones, and perhaps even online.

The Thing is based on the classic movie and will be in the action-adventure genre. The video game begins where the original movie left off and mixes sci-fi and horror elements. "The Thing is a phenomenal franchise that gamers have been requesting for a long time," said Jim Wilson, senior vice president and general manager of Universal Interactive Studios. "This franchise presents an incredible opportunity to draw upon Universal's rich movie history and today's technology to create a one-of-a-kind gaming experience."

Jurassic Park X is based on the upcoming movie, Jurassic Park III, which will be released in theatres in the summer of 2001. Konami and UIS did not reveal any gameplay details at this time, but the game will be released on other next-generation platforms, including the PlayStation 2. "With Universal Interactive Studios' success in creating best-selling action games, they are perfectly suited to take this valuable franchise forward to the area of next-generation interactive games," said Brad Globe, head of Amblin and Dreamworks Consumer Products Groups.

Crash Bandicoot X will also appear on the PlayStation 2 console, along with versions for the Xbox and other next-generation consoles. Once again, no specific gameplay information was released. However, this will mark the first time that Crash will appear on anything other than a Sony console. "Crash Bandicoot is one of the most successful character action franchises. Konami is delighted to publish the game as a partner to Universal Interactive Studios with our strategic alliance," said Kazumi Kitaue, director of the consumer software division for Konami Corporation.

With this announcement, Konami positions itself as one of the major Xbox publishers representing the Japanese market. It joins companies such as Capcom, Bandai, Hudson, and Treasure as the primary Xbox developers in Japan.
Fri 15/03/02 at 10:46
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
Here's Some more Info on this...

"On the same day that Microsoft announced the list of 150 developers committed to Xbox, Konami of Japan dropped a bombshell on the world: already the company was working on five titles, one of them being the awkwardly-titled Metal Gear Solid X (please, for the love of God, let?s hope developers don?t start attaching ?X? to all Xbox games). Immediately speculation centered on whether this will be a port of the original Metal Gear Solid or Metal Gear Solid 2, and Konami has yet to confirm one way or another ? but the smart money is that we?ll be seeing an upgraded version of MGS 2 on the more powerful Xbox system. No further details are known at this point, as Konami of America still refuses to even specifically acknowledge the existence of any Konami Xbox games (look for an American announcement after the beginning of the new year), but we can fill you in on what we know of the PS2 version of the game, most of which will likely carry over to the Xbox port. Snake is back of course, this time tasked initially with infiltrating a privately-owned tanker ship reportedly carrying a vastly upgraded Metal Gear in its cargo hold. Upon his arrival he discovers he?s got company ? the Russians are apparently on the same mission he is, and in New York Harbor, for crying out loud! That?s what we know of the plot up to this point, while the gameplay is very similar to the original MGS ? stealth rules, though there will be times when a steady burst of machine gun fire is the only way to survive. Metal Gear Solid X will reportedly be ready in time for the Xbox launch (not that it happened), if not soon after ? you?ll definitely want to keep an eye out for it."

Apparently rumour has it, that MGS X will be ready in Summer 2002.
Fri 15/03/02 at 09:57
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
Hey - whats the big deal - The original MGS was released on PC which obviously widened its popularity. All you PS2 owners have played it through already and its like so many games that are released nowadays on multi formats.

With three next gen consoles competing for games sales the publishers need to sell as many as possible to make enough profits to be able to produce even better games. Releasing on different formats obviously brings them in more revenue.

Anyway - if anybody want to check out the rumour why dont we just ask Asher D ????
Fri 15/03/02 at 09:34
"High polygon count"
It's up to Sony, really - if they want MGS2 to be exclusive, then they need to make it worthwhile for Konami financially, just as MS have done with things like Oddworld.

I think it's a pretty safe bet that, from now on, almost every game will appear on all platforms, apart from those developed in-house and those with 'paid for' exclusivity.

In the past, the PlayStation has been the only financially viable system for most developers. While SOny still hold dominance at the moment, and many predict that they will continue to do so, that *could* change; I'm not saying it will, but it could.

So it's up to Sony to put their hand in their pocket.
Thu 14/03/02 at 20:23
Regular
U never know, in a few years we might see Nintendo, sega, sony and Microsoft games on one big Microsoft online gaming network.
Thu 14/03/02 at 19:37
Regular
"You Bum!!"
We get to play MGS2 before anyone else anyway. So why shoould we be bothered. Now if Konami decided to work with Microsoft and just abandon thePS2, then we would have something to worry about. But as it stands, it simply doesnt bother me what games the X-Box gets.
Thu 14/03/02 at 19:12
Regular
"360: swfcman"
To be honest it doesnt, there isnt a lot that anyone can do anyway. If they make the X-box version better than MGS 2 there isnt a lot that can be done, and why should people complain anyway? There is no point hiding behind the truth, if there version is better then why not just admit it and get on playing with the others games that we feel are equally as good.
Thu 14/03/02 at 19:09
Regular
"Thongs of Praise"
Whats the problem with it being released on the xbox? Frightened the PS2 wont b able to compete? Why shouldnt a game be advanced and made better even if we dont own the format?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.