GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why are people so narrow minded about the Xbox?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 14/11/02 at 18:36
Regular
Recently, Xbox's popularity seems to have grown on these forums, Even some well known and respected Nintendo fans are purchasing Xbox's or at least showing some intrest.

Today at school, (Im in Year 11) We were argueing about consoles. The majority of my mates were in favour of the PS2, while others were open minded and had an Xbox.

Me and my best mate were oblivious to hear these comments: -

"PS2 has the same graphics, the emotion engine matches the Xbox"
"PS2 is the same size as Gamecube, Xbox is a mammoth!"
"The PS2 controller has pressure buttons unlike Xbox"
"I sleep with my PS2 at night"
"Gamecube is rubbish, as the PS2 has better graphics and GTA3"

We obviously put forward our arguements about Xbox/Xbox Live and the Xbox's better points over the PS2. We asked why did they get a PS2, and the results were'nt surprising.

"My mate has one"
"The sales were high, so I brought one"

I think some PS2 lovers are quite stupid in the way they think, Some people don't like the Xbox as their mate does'nt, Or the Xbox is the size of mount everest. Stupid it really is.

Its actually quite good to speak to multi-console owners/gamecube owners/Xbox owners they speak open minded.

We are independant gamers!
Thu 14/11/02 at 18:36
Regular
Recently, Xbox's popularity seems to have grown on these forums, Even some well known and respected Nintendo fans are purchasing Xbox's or at least showing some intrest.

Today at school, (Im in Year 11) We were argueing about consoles. The majority of my mates were in favour of the PS2, while others were open minded and had an Xbox.

Me and my best mate were oblivious to hear these comments: -

"PS2 has the same graphics, the emotion engine matches the Xbox"
"PS2 is the same size as Gamecube, Xbox is a mammoth!"
"The PS2 controller has pressure buttons unlike Xbox"
"I sleep with my PS2 at night"
"Gamecube is rubbish, as the PS2 has better graphics and GTA3"

We obviously put forward our arguements about Xbox/Xbox Live and the Xbox's better points over the PS2. We asked why did they get a PS2, and the results were'nt surprising.

"My mate has one"
"The sales were high, so I brought one"

I think some PS2 lovers are quite stupid in the way they think, Some people don't like the Xbox as their mate does'nt, Or the Xbox is the size of mount everest. Stupid it really is.

Its actually quite good to speak to multi-console owners/gamecube owners/Xbox owners they speak open minded.

We are independant gamers!
Thu 14/11/02 at 21:36
Regular
You get narrow minded people no matter the console they own.

Once you have your chosen console, you've paid and invested in this one, so any excuse to make you think the rest weren't having will wedge itself in your head.

You've bought the best one:
The Gamecube's just a cheap kids toy.
The PS2 is an outdated, dodgy marketing machine.
The Xbox is an unreliable over-hyped monster.

I've realised that now I'm earning a part time wage, I can afford, if I choose, a secondary console. My second choice is currently an Xbox.
And because I can't afford a third one as well, the PS2 is clearly out dated rubbish that only sold because of Sony's advertising! ;-D
Thu 14/11/02 at 22:52
Regular
The main reason is cause it's a Microsoft console. A lot of people hate Microsoft and they're not even shough exactly why they hate them.
Thu 14/11/02 at 23:20
Regular
"everyone says it"
Tilta got it.

Its because its Microsoft, and its something which gamers who have been around don't really want to buy.

I brought an XBox because I wanted to try it. I held back the fact I hated the company and I have enjoyed Halo. However that is the only game I own on the console. All the others aren't really up to scratch, sure I play nearly every game on it through work, but my opinion is I wouldn't spend the RRP on nearly any other game bar Halo yet (and maybe Buffy).

:)
Fri 15/11/02 at 00:09
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
The fear of the new I reckon.

Anyway, these things work in stages.

Stage 1- denial ie "xbox is soooo big like some kind of bungalo hahahaha"
Stage 2- denial "xbox is gonna fail hahaha"
stage 3- denail "xbox games are rubbih it doesnt have vice city haha"
stage 4- denail "xbox ummm... is bad ha"
Stage 5- acceptance "im a idiot, everythin i said before was so sterotypical and narrowminded"
stage 6- world goes crazy and everyone runs and buys xbox.

Well, thats the plan MS sent me anyway.
Fri 15/11/02 at 01:36
it's the same with other things too.

people like certain car manafactures, i myself hate ford as the cars are just pants as the engines are weak and unrelaiable.

it also goes the same for music and tv, it's all a matter of taste.

i hate nu metal and boy bands but love me R'n'B and hip-hop. i also think the simpsons is one of the best programs on tv other trash like eastenders.

ok so you get the point now and i'll probably get loads of people saying i'm wrong on what i said about cars, tv and music but really that's the way it goes.

if the kids are school are stupid enough to get and do what everyone else does let them.
Fri 15/11/02 at 08:39
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
er-no wrote:
> Its because its Microsoft, and its something which gamers who have
> been around don't really want to buy.

I admit that when I first heard about XBox I thought "I hope it fails", I was at work talking to people who were interested in the XBox, I started looking on websites e.t.c. and once the American launch came I wanted one. So by early December I had one pre-ordered. Why I felt the way I did to start of was because of one word "Microsoft".
Fri 15/11/02 at 09:08
Regular
"Tag as above"
I'm this || close to buying an xbox, I have a PS2 which I would get rid of and a Gamecube (which I bought for me julie) which I ain't fussed about myself (although supermonkeyball is excelllent).

I haven't bought an xbox because there are very few games I really, really want. I don't buy a lot of games, and when I do I want it to be something I really want.

So far the xbox hasn't come up with enough games I must have that justify buy it.

Every console has something to offer, different things to different people, but its the games that make it attractive to different people not the console.

With so many games coming out cross platform as well, there's not always a need to have them all.

(I admit Wreakless Sucks as$ on the PS2, but then it never had any gameplay anyway)
Fri 15/11/02 at 11:07
"High polygon count"
adrian wrote:
> Why I felt the way I did to start of was because of one word
> "Microsoft".

I think many feel the same still. It's just a strange almost global desire to see MS fail at *something*. And let's face it, out of all their fingers in various pies, Xbox/the console market is the one most likely to burn them.
Fri 15/11/02 at 14:18
The irony is the console is the best thing from their home made pies in many a year :P

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.