GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"GollyWood Awards"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 14/11/02 at 19:01
Regular
It's about time methinks that "game stars" got the recognition they truly deserve. Time and time again, we have seen fantastic characters and may I add, great actors in videogames that do a better job than the so-called "Hollywood Stars" themselves, so let's put them in the spotlight for a change ... yes ... let's!

Okay fair enough, we have seen the odd cheesy actors/actresses here and there in games, but the majority have been pretty good. Now, who would you say stood out as a spontanious and worthy winner for the best GollyWood Actor in a game ever, out of these lot? Yes, you decide! It's all in your hands, so do your bit for the industry and VOTE!

Here are the nominees for Best Actor:

SOLID SNAKE

The obvious and probably the favourite of all the nominees to win. From the hit series Metal Gear Solid, Snake has proved to many that he isn't all about stealth, creeping about and killing people - oh no! - he's a smoothtalker as well. He flirts, but never lets his guards down. In his latest and probably last flick of the Metal Gear series, MGS2, Snake revolutionised hitting the terrorists with more advanced techniques, but the terrorists also countered this as they were also much more smarter than before, working more as a team and putting more things at stake for Snake.
Is Snake a worthy winner? You decide! He's shown the world the true potential of games. Just like we use 1% of our brains, MGS2 used the same amount showing that there are much more greater games to be had.
Snake's epic adventure has ended. We've seen betrayal, cunning and a lot of twists in the plot accompanied by indulging gameplay, so is he worthy? It's up to you!

MARIO

This is surely the biggest favourite to receive this prestigious award. After all, it was the Mario franchise that really drove the engine of the industry. Why? Because it had original gameplay as well as an original storyline. Mario in his early years rescued princesses most of his time, but as time moved on he undertook more challenging and involving adventures.
It is most recently that the true potential of this loveable character has finally surfaced with the improvement in games. Yes, I'm talking about Mario Sunshine for the GameCube. Being on such a powerful console, Mario has finally been able to show his true emotions (facial expressions) to all audiences, and showing them that he really CAN act. Most just thought he was only good for jumping on things and collecting lovely shiny things, but once again Mario has stood up for himself along with his cousin Luigi and Co. to show the world that there is more in Mario.
Mario is a good actor, but did he leave it too late? You decide! Vote now if you think that the moustached plumber deserves this award.

MAX PAYNE

The competition is really starting to hot up now! Max Payne has already won an award in the "outside world" for his role in the PC and PS2 hit, and this immediately places him as a true competetant for the life-achievement award of GollyWood's Best Actor.
He's got the credentials of being the next Keanu Reaves, which definitely cannot be a bad thing! Following Keanu's Matrix attribute, Max Payne Jumps in slow-mo in all directions, dodges bullets and can follow the path of any bullet for maximum results. He may not be "The One", but he certainly is "The Wanted One". Framed for many murders, Max Payne becomes the most wanted man in New York. This leads to a whole lot of depression and slight indications of insanity in the man. But this is where we really see, or in this case, HEAR what Max Payne can do. We may not see him act so many times in his adventure but his voice-acting is very impressive. More poetic than aggressive, but all in all it's very moving.
He may not be your cup of tea, but Max Payne has every right to be nominated. His co-actors were brilliant (in most cases eccentric) but they all added that extra bit of spice to his tragic adventure. Is Max Payne your man? You decide.

LINK

No this isn't a Ninty parade, the lepricorn-lookalike is a very worthy opponent to claim for such an award. Sharing a similar issue with mario, Link couldn't really act in his old days, plainly smiling, frowning and all the other easy emotions an actor can do. But as time moved on and consoles became more powerful so did the green, but mean machine. His adventures became more gripping, and even though the storyline didn't change too much from certain prequels, the little fella sure did shock the world.
For the first time, I actually saw expressions, VIVID expressions, jump out from his face, and I was left stunned. The shock was too much, seeing that I had knocked most of his games in the past, but never would I be so naiive again. On his epic adventure to retrieve Majora's Mask, new things arrived - Cinematic music, mad FMVs and again more cinematic acting - these all adding tenace to the little guys' character. Battling against strange creatures isn't Link's only strong point because he loves playing up to the camera as well.
Will you be giving the green, little man your vote. Remember, it's still up to you!

SONIC

It would simply be wrong not to include our favourite blue hedgehog. There isn't one person who hasn't at least had a go on one of his adventures on the Sega MegaDrive, and that when he didn't have the chance to really strut his stuff. But the DreamCast came out and opened a greater opportunity, in which he the blue little critter snatched at straight away.
Still battling against more of the evil Mr. Robotnik's ideas, Sonic released two revolutionary titles to its MegaDrive predecessor on the Sega DreamCast, where the "good at acting" gene seemed to flow easily in his blood. At last, we saw more than two facial expressions and colgate toothpaste promotions because Sonic had revolutionised into a true GollyWood Star.
Robotnik, determined not to give Sonic an easy ride, created an evil twin, who could do everything Sonic could in his latest adventure. This caused a whole lot of comotion and very realistic acting which you would never have thought possible from the little character. He may not have the voice of Arnie, but he's got the acting skills of Stallone (which by the way is a good thing).
Not only has Sonic delivered fast and challenging gameplay over the years, but he also has shown the cameras that there's more to him than running. He's worked very hard to get his place in the hitlist for tonight, but do you the public think he deserves to win? Vote now if so!

DUKE NUKEM

Last, but certainly not least is a classic. I remember the good old days of blasting away googley eyed monsters and paying money to dancers in the classic first person shooter, Duke Nukem. The game with our nominees name saved its place in every FPS fans heart for many a year and still does today. Rumour is about that he is to soon return and what a delight that would be.
The equivalent of The Terminator, Duke Nukem wipes the floor with all of its opponents. The unique thing with him is not what we actually see of him from the cameras, but what we see from his point of view as well as hear. Yes, he does come up with certain one-liners during the game, but that is why he has been selected tonight. The deep voice of Duke will always be remembered as well as his aggressive ways. He doesn't give those aliens an easy ride and maintains his macho status...that is what we like about him.
Terminator, watch out! Duke Nukem is soon to be about once again and what a relief that is. Never will we forget these words "Shake it babé" from the lips of such a prestigious GollyWood star, but do you think the macho atittude of Duke Nukem deserves to win? FPS fans, here's your opportunity to change the results...Vote now!

That is the whole list for tonight's awards and please forgive if any of YOUR favourite characters have gone amiss, but these are the ones chosen by ME..the public?

Anyway, you would have noticed that the likes of Spiderman and Bond have not been included because they are not really GollyWood stars because their games were made AFTER their movies, and they also imitate already existing Hollywood Stars which goes against GollyWood regulations.

You hold the votes, you decide!

Who do you think should win?
Thu 14/11/02 at 19:01
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
It's about time methinks that "game stars" got the recognition they truly deserve. Time and time again, we have seen fantastic characters and may I add, great actors in videogames that do a better job than the so-called "Hollywood Stars" themselves, so let's put them in the spotlight for a change ... yes ... let's!

Okay fair enough, we have seen the odd cheesy actors/actresses here and there in games, but the majority have been pretty good. Now, who would you say stood out as a spontanious and worthy winner for the best GollyWood Actor in a game ever, out of these lot? Yes, you decide! It's all in your hands, so do your bit for the industry and VOTE!

Here are the nominees for Best Actor:

SOLID SNAKE

The obvious and probably the favourite of all the nominees to win. From the hit series Metal Gear Solid, Snake has proved to many that he isn't all about stealth, creeping about and killing people - oh no! - he's a smoothtalker as well. He flirts, but never lets his guards down. In his latest and probably last flick of the Metal Gear series, MGS2, Snake revolutionised hitting the terrorists with more advanced techniques, but the terrorists also countered this as they were also much more smarter than before, working more as a team and putting more things at stake for Snake.
Is Snake a worthy winner? You decide! He's shown the world the true potential of games. Just like we use 1% of our brains, MGS2 used the same amount showing that there are much more greater games to be had.
Snake's epic adventure has ended. We've seen betrayal, cunning and a lot of twists in the plot accompanied by indulging gameplay, so is he worthy? It's up to you!

MARIO

This is surely the biggest favourite to receive this prestigious award. After all, it was the Mario franchise that really drove the engine of the industry. Why? Because it had original gameplay as well as an original storyline. Mario in his early years rescued princesses most of his time, but as time moved on he undertook more challenging and involving adventures.
It is most recently that the true potential of this loveable character has finally surfaced with the improvement in games. Yes, I'm talking about Mario Sunshine for the GameCube. Being on such a powerful console, Mario has finally been able to show his true emotions (facial expressions) to all audiences, and showing them that he really CAN act. Most just thought he was only good for jumping on things and collecting lovely shiny things, but once again Mario has stood up for himself along with his cousin Luigi and Co. to show the world that there is more in Mario.
Mario is a good actor, but did he leave it too late? You decide! Vote now if you think that the moustached plumber deserves this award.

MAX PAYNE

The competition is really starting to hot up now! Max Payne has already won an award in the "outside world" for his role in the PC and PS2 hit, and this immediately places him as a true competetant for the life-achievement award of GollyWood's Best Actor.
He's got the credentials of being the next Keanu Reaves, which definitely cannot be a bad thing! Following Keanu's Matrix attribute, Max Payne Jumps in slow-mo in all directions, dodges bullets and can follow the path of any bullet for maximum results. He may not be "The One", but he certainly is "The Wanted One". Framed for many murders, Max Payne becomes the most wanted man in New York. This leads to a whole lot of depression and slight indications of insanity in the man. But this is where we really see, or in this case, HEAR what Max Payne can do. We may not see him act so many times in his adventure but his voice-acting is very impressive. More poetic than aggressive, but all in all it's very moving.
He may not be your cup of tea, but Max Payne has every right to be nominated. His co-actors were brilliant (in most cases eccentric) but they all added that extra bit of spice to his tragic adventure. Is Max Payne your man? You decide.

LINK

No this isn't a Ninty parade, the lepricorn-lookalike is a very worthy opponent to claim for such an award. Sharing a similar issue with mario, Link couldn't really act in his old days, plainly smiling, frowning and all the other easy emotions an actor can do. But as time moved on and consoles became more powerful so did the green, but mean machine. His adventures became more gripping, and even though the storyline didn't change too much from certain prequels, the little fella sure did shock the world.
For the first time, I actually saw expressions, VIVID expressions, jump out from his face, and I was left stunned. The shock was too much, seeing that I had knocked most of his games in the past, but never would I be so naiive again. On his epic adventure to retrieve Majora's Mask, new things arrived - Cinematic music, mad FMVs and again more cinematic acting - these all adding tenace to the little guys' character. Battling against strange creatures isn't Link's only strong point because he loves playing up to the camera as well.
Will you be giving the green, little man your vote. Remember, it's still up to you!

SONIC

It would simply be wrong not to include our favourite blue hedgehog. There isn't one person who hasn't at least had a go on one of his adventures on the Sega MegaDrive, and that when he didn't have the chance to really strut his stuff. But the DreamCast came out and opened a greater opportunity, in which he the blue little critter snatched at straight away.
Still battling against more of the evil Mr. Robotnik's ideas, Sonic released two revolutionary titles to its MegaDrive predecessor on the Sega DreamCast, where the "good at acting" gene seemed to flow easily in his blood. At last, we saw more than two facial expressions and colgate toothpaste promotions because Sonic had revolutionised into a true GollyWood Star.
Robotnik, determined not to give Sonic an easy ride, created an evil twin, who could do everything Sonic could in his latest adventure. This caused a whole lot of comotion and very realistic acting which you would never have thought possible from the little character. He may not have the voice of Arnie, but he's got the acting skills of Stallone (which by the way is a good thing).
Not only has Sonic delivered fast and challenging gameplay over the years, but he also has shown the cameras that there's more to him than running. He's worked very hard to get his place in the hitlist for tonight, but do you the public think he deserves to win? Vote now if so!

DUKE NUKEM

Last, but certainly not least is a classic. I remember the good old days of blasting away googley eyed monsters and paying money to dancers in the classic first person shooter, Duke Nukem. The game with our nominees name saved its place in every FPS fans heart for many a year and still does today. Rumour is about that he is to soon return and what a delight that would be.
The equivalent of The Terminator, Duke Nukem wipes the floor with all of its opponents. The unique thing with him is not what we actually see of him from the cameras, but what we see from his point of view as well as hear. Yes, he does come up with certain one-liners during the game, but that is why he has been selected tonight. The deep voice of Duke will always be remembered as well as his aggressive ways. He doesn't give those aliens an easy ride and maintains his macho status...that is what we like about him.
Terminator, watch out! Duke Nukem is soon to be about once again and what a relief that is. Never will we forget these words "Shake it babé" from the lips of such a prestigious GollyWood star, but do you think the macho atittude of Duke Nukem deserves to win? FPS fans, here's your opportunity to change the results...Vote now!

That is the whole list for tonight's awards and please forgive if any of YOUR favourite characters have gone amiss, but these are the ones chosen by ME..the public?

Anyway, you would have noticed that the likes of Spiderman and Bond have not been included because they are not really GollyWood stars because their games were made AFTER their movies, and they also imitate already existing Hollywood Stars which goes against GollyWood regulations.

You hold the votes, you decide!

Who do you think should win?
Thu 14/11/02 at 19:26
Regular
"bing bang bong"
You've never played a Zelda game, have you
Thu 14/11/02 at 21:27
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
Yes I have.

What's your point?
Fri 15/11/02 at 14:19
Regular
The character in Zelda's called Link, I think he politely meant to say. He also might have very kindly pointed out for you that Zelda is actually the name of the Princess in it.

Anyway... I'll vote... Mario, for life time achievement more than anything.
Fri 15/11/02 at 14:20
Regular
Just one question, how are Snake and Mario both the favourites? :0)
Fri 15/11/02 at 14:22
Regular
Spiderman, game came out before the movie... and what about Luigi.. oh, right...
Fri 15/11/02 at 18:25
Regular
"Cardboard Tube Ninj"
I had to change the "Zelda"s to "Link"s. It was just annoying me too much.
Fri 15/11/02 at 21:23
Regular
"Z will be here soon"
BEARDS.

Hey, havent seen that colour name before! Nice!

OOps, anyway I would vote Sonic, coz he is blue and that...
Sat 16/11/02 at 00:09
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
Grix Thraves wrote:
> Just one question, how are Snake and Mario both the favourites? :0)

I wonder

:-)
Sat 16/11/02 at 00:10
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
BEARDS. wrote:
> I had to change the "Zelda"s to "Link"s. It was
> just annoying me too much.

Woah! Just noticed that.

Thankyou

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.