GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Nintendo Official Magazine - Christmas Issue"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 15/11/02 at 19:21
Regular
Got my copy this morning, and though the front cover's a bit dodgy, a very nicely put together magazine. The scores were:

Star Fox Adventures: Dinosaur Planet - 9/10.
Mario Party 4 - 9/10.
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4 - 9/10.
Rocky - 9/10.
Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast - 9/10.
Medal Of Honour: Frontline - 8/10.
Die Hard: Vendetta - 8/10.
Star Wars: The Clone Wars - 8/10.
Mat Hoffman's Pro BMX 2 - 8/10.
Disney Sports Football - 7/10.
Ty The Tasmanian Tiger - 7/10.
Ace Golf - 7/10.
Bomberman Heroes - 7/10.
Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath Of Cortex - 7/10.
Scooby-Doo: Night Of 100 Frights - 6/10.
Knockout Kings 2003 - 6/10.
Mystic Heroes - 6/10.
Rocket Power Beach Bandits - 5/10.
NBA Live 2003 - 5/10.

All in all, a very good month for GameCube owners everywhere! The news section's also pretty packed with info, and on top of that, you get a DVD packed with some amazing game footage (including Star Fox Adventures and Metroid Prime) and a LEGO Bionicle comic.

Definately worth parting with £3.50 for!
Wed 20/11/02 at 17:52
Regular
"Bring the beat back"
I wish you could get demos with the mag.
Wed 20/11/02 at 17:49
Regular
"the burning sky"
Are any currently giving away Free Rental vouchers?
Tue 19/11/02 at 20:09
Regular
"Formally:Ev][L~DarK"
They sould get rid of some 'Pointless' Things in the mag, Like...The Nintendo "Gold" Top titles at the back of the mag, (Other words the TNT Buyer's guide) which does waste 5 pages that could be reviews.

i remember they used half of the mag doing this game list thing which listed the whole libary of Nintendo 64 games and what a waste of pages that was.
Tue 19/11/02 at 19:58
Regular
amos wrote:
> Im not much of a 'mag buyer', but i recon NOM is rubbish. Firstly, the
> scores given are usually much more than most of the reviewed games
> deserve. (But we all know why... why would Nintendo gives games on
> their console low marks? For this is practically like saying 'most of
> the games on our console are pretty poor etc').

NOM don't give high scores at all. In fact, I compared them to NGC once and they were round about the same, give or take a few percent. For some reason, people think an official magazine will always be biased - when this is rarely the case. NOM rate games fairly, and usually agree with other magazines. Even Nintendo ones.

> And the second reason why I dont buy NOM is because the mag is jammed
> packed full of... PICTURES! sure, its great to know what the game looks
> like, and to see the graphics etc. but decent reviews (ie. longer than
> 3/4 paragraphs!) would be much better!

Though I do think NOM's screenshots are very good, I'll have to agree that they really need to get their reviews sorted out in terms of length. I'm fed up of reading 1/4 of an A4 side on a game I've been looking forward to, only to find they give it a score without justifying it. I, and many other Nintendo fans, would happily pay more if they wrote that bit more.

> BTW, I know ive asked this numerous times but, is there any mag out
> there where there is a cover-mounted disc with playable demos??? Im
> desperate to get my hands on some demos, playable!

No demos as of yet unfortunately. Do you have a GameCube? If so, then playable demos should be on their way soon - seeing as the Japanese already have them and all games retailers in the UK. If a mag gets demos, you can bet it'll be NOM.

> This, imo, is one advantage of having a PS2, playing game demos
> without paying the E60 for a game. This may sound scabby but hey,
> Student life isnt easy!

Yeah, I've got a PS2 and I must say, there's a much wider and broader selection of decent magazines on offer - with playable demos and a regular DVD each time. Nintendo should make use of the GameCube's format, and use the minidiscs instead of DVDs.
Mon 18/11/02 at 15:54
Regular
"NJAN"
Im not much of a 'mag buyer', but i recon NOM is rubbish. Firstly, the scores given are usually much more than most of the reviewed games deserve. (But we all know why... why would Nintendo gives games on their console low marks? For this is practically like saying 'most of the games on our console are pretty poor etc'). And the second reason why I dont buy NOM is because the mag is jammed packed full of... PICTURES! sure, its great to know what the game looks like, and to see the graphics etc. but decent reviews (ie. longer than 3/4 paragraphs!) would be much better!
Well, thats my opinion anyway.
BTW, I know ive asked this numerous times but, is there any mag out there where there is a cover-mounted disc with playable demos??? Im desperate to get my hands on some demos, playable!
This, imo, is one advantage of having a PS2, playing game demos without paying the E60 for a game. This may sound scabby but hey, Student life isnt easy!
Amos.
Sun 17/11/02 at 20:38
Regular
I quite liked it actually. I thought the DVD was nicely put together but I agree, their reviews need work. Maybe I'll e-mail them.
Sat 16/11/02 at 19:39
Regular
This is issue is worse than the last one.

Firstly the DVD is crap.

Right.

Rocky, they gave it 9 out of 10, making it very, very good yes?
The review was, wait for it, one paragraph! One tiny paragraph in the corner of the page!

Futher along in the mag, they start cramming six 'reviews' on one page! I was very annoyed, especcialy because Bomberman Generations was one of them.

And the Starfox review, apart from the graphics, what did they actually say was good about the game? It may have been 3 pages, but there was barely 1 A4 page worth of text in size 12 font. They described the story, said the graphics were brilliant, brielfy described things like the flying and drving sections, then said what the bad bits were, then gave it 9 out of 10.

It's appaling, some guy is getting paid to write a paragraph describing a few games in a month.
Sat 16/11/02 at 19:36
"Uzi Lover"
Remind me to never but that magazine again. It seems they have gone downhill ever since I stopped buying them.

Errrrrr...out of ten sucks aswell (no offence SR)

:-D
Sat 16/11/02 at 19:19
Regular
what the heck is rocky?
Sat 16/11/02 at 19:03
Regular
Well I'm certainly glad Starfox Adventures got a decent score, eh?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.