GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Premiership PotY Awards"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 13/03/02 at 19:01
Regular
Incase you didn't know, the awards for the Premiership's player of the year (or season) will soon be annouced soon, but there's still quite a while to go yet.
Many names have been thrown into the hat already, and there are still quite a few games left to play in the Premiership this season! The ceremony takes place several weeks before the current season has ended, and the votes will soon be cast before we know it.

Not only must the PFA choose their no.1 player for the season, but the choice also has to be made by the Footbal Writers. So like always, we can expect many names and many different views to be cast.
Who would you vote for and why???
Here's a few likely candidates:

Robert Pires - The French international has been flying for most of the season, and not just down Arsenal's left-wing! With brilliant goals against the likes of Lazio in Europe, and his fair share of lobs in England, Highbury could see their Trophy Cabinet finally starting to fill up again with possibly 3 top pieces of silverware in the summer!
He has a great chance of winning the award, and will surely be at the top of every Arsenal fans' list - if not Henry!

Thierry Henry - A French international goalscorer. That says it all! And you only have to look at his form this season to see why! As a creative striker who started out on the wing, Henry has become one of the Premiership's leading marksmen, with goals from all over the pitch!
Remember his goal against Barthez at Highbury?? QUALITY!
If the choice made is to be a striker, then Henry's surely the only man suitable to rob van Nistelrooy of his potential crown - if he can't beat his goals tally!

Ruud van Nistelrooy - After a year of suffering with a serious knee problem, 'van the man' has proven that he is the man to lead United's attack, and quest for honours in Europe! After only several months since his full recovery from cruciate ligament damage, Ruud has begun to look like his old-self who scored goals for fun back in Holland!
With such a rapid recovery of form and plenty of goals to go with it, the Premiership's top-scorer has a fair case for winning the award of player of the season.
It's such a shame that we won't be seeing van Nistelrooy or his side Holland during this summer's Wolrd Cup Finals. :(

Alan Shearer - It seems that almost every year 'Sir Alan is a strongly nominated contender for Player of the Year, but why did he quit at international level???
It seems that his international retirement has payed off in many ways for his remaining career at club level, and his beloved Newcastle United. Scoring goals-a-plenty from set pieces and headers isn't all he's done, as Newcastle are still in with a shot at winning the Premiership - finally!
It's also thanks to the leadership of a man known as 'Mr.Boring' that so many young players have come through the ranks at St.James' Park and impressed in the first team.
He surely will be worthy of the name 'Sir Alan' if he does achieve first place thanks to the voters!
But i'm sure the former winner of this competition will kepp his 'Mr.Boring' tag!

They are just some of the main contenders to take the awards home with them on the night. And here are some of the people I would vote for as alternatives:

Shay Given - Don't laugh! but the Newcastle and Irelnad no.1 has worked hard enough this season to keep his side in the championship challenge, and halt United from making this season another 'one horse race'!
Due to his fine athletism and competative nature, Given has shown that he is the only Premiership goalkeeper worthy of such a great reward!
A boost like this before the end of the season could give Shay and his Newcastle men the boost they need to keep up their chances of glory!

Robbie Fowler - He quit Liverpool early in the season due to personal reasons and some still think he was mad to do so. But he's proven that at Elland Road he can re-capture the goal-scoring form of his early days at Anfield, and give Leeds that extra bit of something they need to challenge for honours this season (even if their chances now look dead!).
He's still a top striker, and Eriksson shouldn't give Robbie Fowler anything less than a place in the squad this summer, if not the no.9 shirt and the position alongside former team-mate Michael Owen.
The only problem may be that he hasn't been as consistant throughout the whole season as many may have hoped. But aside from thatm he should still be considered as a candidate!

Eidur Gudjonsson - I could've said Hasselbaink, but his form's no different to what we've seen in the past few seasons.
On the other hand, Eidur Gudjonsson has really made a name for himself, in Europe aswell as increasing his reputation in this country and back home in Iceland.
After forming a highly-effective partnership with Hasselbaink, Gudjonsson has shown that he too can score and create, just like his big Dutch friend.
Ok, so he may not be a firm favourite for the award, but he's a strong candidate for all Chelsea fans.

I would also add Laurent Robert of Newcastle to this list but all he's really done is scored a few crackers but hasn't looked too consistant. And due to therecent critisism (which I feel is un-deserved) many football writers will be looking the other way when they see his name.

So there yuo have it, a list of likely candidates along with a few possibillities. Even after all that I still can't decide! And even though i'm a United fan i'm not sure as to wether van Nistelrooy fully deserves it or not??
Anyway, the choice is yours....

Who would you choose and why??
Thu 25/04/02 at 17:41
Regular
"simpsons rule"
Ruud Van Nistlerooy will get it i think :D
Thu 18/04/02 at 17:54
"Right!!!!!™"
Solskjær_24 wrote:
> Vassel hasn't been consistant enough for me, but he still has a good
> chance of being Young Player of the Year!

Damn straight!
Thu 18/04/02 at 17:52
"Right!!!!!™"
James Pond wrote:
> Robbie Folwer my a**e. He is the worst striker in the League. EX
> Liverpool scum.

That your oppion but you know he aint the worst striker in the league you just dont like him becuase he went to leeds i see your point but he just aint crap any football fan can tell you that he aint crap.
Wed 17/04/02 at 18:09
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Well that's just your opinion Mr.Pond, as a Liverpool fan who was very sad to see one of your finest players move on.
Fowler is a great striker and always will be. I was expecting him to go to Arsenal, where he could've achieved greater things. But a mve to Leeds has proved highly-succesfull, just look at the almost instant effect he had on the Leeds team!
He just HAS to be in the England squad this summer! And if anyone can partner Owen it's him - not that big oaf Heskey! :P

Tell me, how do you feel about Redknapp's move to Spurs??
I don't spose you're all that bothered, with Gerard and Hamman ready to go.
But still, you must admit that Jamie was one of the finest passers of the ball in the English game, and he'd surely be in contention for a place in the England squad if it wasn't for that long-term injury he had.
Tue 16/04/02 at 10:14
Regular
"Great Scott's"
Robbie Folwer my a**e. He is the worst striker in the League. EX Liverpool scum.
Mon 15/04/02 at 17:50
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Well done to Ruud "van the man" van Nistelrooy for coming out ontop!
But to be honest, I don't really think he deserved it.

All he's really done this season is score more goals than anyone could've imagined, and yes, that has helped his team to charge through Europe, but not neccesarily so in the league.
Apart from his goal-scoring (a great thing!) he hasn't really done much else for United. To be PotY, I believe that you have to have helped your team in more ways than one. And to be a top attacking player, you need to create plenty of chances for the other 9 men to score goals - like Pires for Arsenal, but unlike van Nistelrooy for United.

So even though this season has already finnished early for him, I believe that Robert Pires deserved the award more than van Nistelrooy, and I believed that he would still win it. And if not him, it would've been Henry - as he has both created and scored to aid his team well.

I reckon that the only reason Ruud won was due to the HUGE number of Man United fans world-wide, which also means the majority of voters were also United fans - even if they play for other clubs.
So it probably wouldn't have made a difference if Pires was ok anyway!
And i'm still proud to see what Ruud has done! :D
Mon 15/04/02 at 17:12
Regular
"5 European Cups!!!"
Ok, with me being a Liverpool fan, you will find my opinion to be "a hint" biased, but I think I have a valid point when I say this: Where was Hyypia in the Poty contention? I find it ridiculous that a player who was at the centre of 5 trophies last year, and helped us in the Quarters of the CL, while still keeping us in the race for the league title.
I mean, what have Liverpool got to do to get some recognition? Put him against Beckam and Keane, of whom I wouldnt have picked for Poty:

Beckam-- had an indifferent season for Man Utd, nowhere near his best, and repeatedly dropped by Fergie early on.

Keane-- again, hasn't set this season alight with his usual commanding displays, no better than the "average" good player plays in a season.

This happened last year with Manager oty, won by a team who, although coming from Div.1, only managed 6th pace, and that's all.

It just seems to me that Liverpool staff/team must bend over backwards, score 5 goals every game, and win everything they play in.

Even then, they'd probably finish 3rd or lower in the ""oty awards...
Mon 15/04/02 at 12:29
Regular
Thought Pires would have won it for sure...A lot of players may have been split between Henry and Pires...perhaps...anyways...

Van Man strikes again :)
Fri 22/03/02 at 19:44
Regular
Robert pires has improved and has become a force in the Premier league mr Man U fan.
Fri 22/03/02 at 19:28
Regular
do i detect a little manu biased fan??

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.