GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Can winning the lottery ruin your life?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 02/08/06 at 15:39
Regular
I'm sure you've heard someone say "one day, when we win the lottery" before. But what if you did win the lottery? Would it change you?

You go to the newsagent, go through the whole ritual of buying a ticket like you do every week. You think to yourself that you'll never win, it's always going to be the dream that never comes true. Only this time it does. After all these years and all those pound coins you finally hit the jackpot.

Now that you're a millionnaire, you can finally quit working for Thomas Cook or that temporary accounting job. The morgage, all those bills you use to worry about, they don't matter anymore. It's as if all this weight has been lifted off your shoulders, your money problems are all behind you now. You can finally enjoy life.

Oh, if only it was that simple, along with the big novelty cheque you get a whole set of new problems. You've already started arguing with your partner about how to spend the money. Your family has been sending requests for financial help. And now your best friend isn't talking to you because he feels the money has changed you, but you know it's just because he's jealous.

Still want to win the lottery?

----

So what would you do with all the money? Would it change you at all? Do you think your family or your friends would see you differently now that you're stinking rich?

GP would it solve all your problems?

Kawada you could finally move to Japan and give up the idea of teaching.

@ngel you could buy your boys anything they wanted, but would your sisters be jealous of your new wealth?

pb, you can tell your daughters tales of princesses and you can bring them up as one. Or would they turn into spoilt little brats when they're older?
Thu 17/08/06 at 14:07
Regular
I would like to think winning wouldnt change me too much. I would think my friends wouldnt be too jealous as I would like to take care of them but as for my kids I'd like for them to grow up working and not be one of those annoying rich kids.
Sun 06/08/06 at 22:35
Regular
"Mooching around"
Grix Thraves wrote:
> That's fine by me, excellent
>
> I'd.. become Batman

And fight crime? Or are you happy to just prance around in the costume ;-D
Sun 06/08/06 at 22:02
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
Winning wouldn't change me.

I'd make sure all my close family and friends were sorted financially and all the people I'd not given to wouldn't be close family or friends so what they thought of me wouldn't matter to me anyway.

As long as you keep your feet on the ground and remember your life before the win it won't ruin your life.
Sun 06/08/06 at 13:18
Regular
"lets go back"
Mumbai Duck wrote:
> I wonder how easily you could live off £1 million for the
> rest of your life.
>
>

If you didnt buy a house and instead used the interest from the 1 million to pay bills etc you could easily live off the 1 million, but you couldnt have a millionaires lifestyle. It does however mean that you could then get a job you liked that doesnt have to pay well, maybe only part time or something. You'd be able to afford to go on nice holidays and have a decent car (i.e. a brand new saloon, NOT a Ferrari), without needing to do much work. If you actually did do lots of work you'd be even better off again.
Sun 06/08/06 at 13:11
Regular
"lets go back"
I wouldnt tell my friends if I won. They would start to like you just for your money, which would be great at first but isnt rewarding in the long run.
Sat 05/08/06 at 02:04
Regular
Oh dear.. I think I'll keep it in trust then. You'll get your shiney penny when my will is read as a "thanks for the fish!"

hehe
Sat 05/08/06 at 01:07
Regular
That's fine by me, excellent

I'd.. become Batman
Fri 04/08/06 at 19:46
Regular
The PowerBall lottery is up to $204 million! I buying a ticket today. I don't know if winning will ruin my life, but at this point I truly believe, heart and soul, that winning and taking a lump sum cashout would improve my perspective on life tremendously.

I think I'd buy houses all over the world (especially in Costa Rica) and live on permanent holiday. *cheers* Oh, and I'd give Grix Thraves a cut, since he's been my best friend/confidant for the longest..
Fri 04/08/06 at 10:03
Regular
"Mooching around"
Dr Jo wrote:
> Hey, I just noticed, I'm no longer a JAT, I'm a new user. All in
> red!

We should make a group :-)

I seem to remember, not too long ago, a Euromillions draw that had rolled over something like 11 times; the jackpot was £120,000,000.

My friends and I often contemplate what we would do with that kind of money, it is tempting isn't it, even with what has been said here. 120m could buy a lot of games snake :-P DMC3 would be yours at last.

I seem to remember I would give 10m to charity, 40m to all my friends and family, and that would leave me with 70m to do with what I pleased. Somehow I calculated that using a compound interest account of around 5%, I could easily live off the interest (assuming the lack of inflation etc.)

With the 70m I would move to New Zealand, and start a new life...

I think I would be fine :-D
Fri 04/08/06 at 09:34
Regular
Hey, I just noticed, I'm no longer a JAT, I'm a new user. All in red!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.