GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Whos the daddy: Sonic V Mario"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 13/03/02 at 09:25
Regular
History of games.

Mario is the old guy. He’s been around since the 1980s but still going strong. Sonic, although old in comparison to most- is still fairly new. There has been a fairly big arsenal of Sonic games. The old days of Sonic 1. Then released was sonic 2, 3, Sonic and Knuckles and Robotnik’s mean bean machine. The Mega drive died and so did Sonic. Then was the birth of the Dreamcast. Sonic had a bit of life pumped into him with new titles on the Dreamcast. This, once again, failed. Was this to be the end of Sonic? After the failure of so many consoles, Sega surely wouldn’t bring out more? Well no, they will still make games though. Now Sega are happily producing games for the Gameboy advance and Gamecube. Two new sonic titles, one for each console. Life is back in the old hedgehog!
The amount of Sonic titles is nothing compared to that of Mario’s. I certainly won’t be listing them all. It all started out with jump man! What a silly name, but he lived up to it- he did jump! This was the original Mario (Jumpman) saves Peach from Bowser (Donkey Kong). Jumpman developed a name- Mario. He soon got himself some titles on the NES. As technology improved, the SNES became available to buy. Also improved was Mario’s family- Luigi. The SNES brought out the best in Mario. Super Mario world 1,2,3 and Mario Kart- to name a few. By now Mario was becoming big. Nintendo were competing with SEGA and both were pushing technology along. Mario continued to get bigger and jumped (no pun intended) to the N64. With lots of titles. Mario 64, Mario Kart, Mario Tennis Mario paper, Mario party 1,2 and 3. I can also say that I have played every game, apart from Paper Mario, which I will have by the end of March, and I enjoyed them all thoroughly.
There is no competition here really. Mario has such a wide variety of games that just beats Sonic hands down. Many titles that are a break from your regular platformer like Mario Tennis and Mario Kart- these are titles that are lacking in Sonics department. Maybe if we had some Sonic golfing games, SEGA may have been better of, who knows. In this department though. Mario wins.

Speedy Hedgehog VS Fat plumber

Can you get any cooler than Sonic. A blue hedgehog that can reach huge speeds in no time? No you can’t! Zooming through levels at huge speeds is something that only Sonic can do. It is pure eye candy to see this guy in action. He is just flat out cool and there is truly nothing that can be improved. He also has the really cool thing from Sonic one. He is in a ring and then gives you the thumbs up- hey I’m easy to please! Sonic is cool, but supersonic is even cooler. This guy is sonic, but faster, bigger and yellow! He is invincible, nothing can hurt this guy. You have to work like made to earn him- but once you do, the smile on your face will be from ear to ear! Every game seems to be exactly the same, but somehow there something new and something better. Sonic really does bring something new to every title he has.
How many plumbers do you know that are actually entertaining? None? O well. Mario is a plumber and he is entertaining. He may be a few cakes over the limit- but size doesn’t matter. He still amazes me by jumping so high with that gut! Mario has some pretty cool features. He can jump higher than the moon, warp through pipes, shoot fire from his knuckles and grow twice the size using a single mushroom. Super Mario is a big guy- if you thought the normal Mario was large, eat a mushroom and see what he can grow into! He can leave a lot of destruction can our Mario, but can he cut it against a super speedy blue/yellow hedgehog?
Nope, sorry Mario. This time sonic wins. The plain coolness of Sonic gives him that upper edge. Whilst Super Mario is great, Super sonic is the bees knees. Sonic will always stay ahead of Mario in my book. Feel free to make an argument. One point to the cool blue hedgehog.

The others

Who says don’t judge a man by his friends? Well as were looking at a hedgehog and a overweight plumber, I’m sure that rule doesn’t apply. Who does have the best friends? Tails and Sonic need each other as much as we need air. The two are a pair no doubt to that. Tails is been around since Sonics second adventure and has greatly improved the games. He can fly an airplane, something a blue hedgehog cannot do and use his tails to life himself and/or sonic into the air. Playing Sonic 2 on the Mega drive, two player- sonic and tails was so much fun. You could reach new heights. Tails will forever be with sonic. Knuckles, he wasn’t much of a friend. We found him annoying everyone in Sonic 3. This guy used to work for Robotnik- evil! Sonic, using his charm, changed the guy and now he is a pure good guy. Using his floating abilities and his sharp knuckles, this purple Echidna can cling and climb up walls. Very handy. There is also a new lass called Amy. Sonics missus. She got going on the dreamcast. She has this whooping great hammer that will knock any foe to the ground. Don’t think your gonna get away easily- she is a mean girl! Lastly there is the cold-blooded Dr. Robotnik, or more lately named Dr. Eggman. This hideous creature is mean. He hates sonic with all his heart and has tried everything to stop sonic completing his quest. So far he has failed, someday this evil son of a gun will get his way. Robotnik is the king of bosses in my book!
Mario has more friends then you have had hot dinners. Wario, Waluigi- even though they may not be friends, they still count! Luigi, Daisy, Peach, Toady, Donkey Kong, Yoshi. Then there is the sinister Bowser! Mario has a playful bunch of mates. They all seem to have different agendas though. Peach always is in need of a rescue. Still, she is Mario sweetheart! Luigi is Mario’s brother, and these two stick together through thick and thin. They work well as a team, but we have yet to see them play at the same time, in a platformer that is- shame! Then there is Wario and Waluigi- cousins of Mario and Luigi. They are jealous of the two brothers and plot many evil tricks to get their own back. Yoshi is always happy to come for the ride, and will always assist Mario, or baby Mario, through a game. Bowser is Mario’s arch enemy- he has never been kind and I doubt he ever will. No matter what he tries, he seems to fail in beating Mario.
So who has the better cast- Sonic or Mario. Variety wise, Mario. There are many different personalities with different characteristics. Though Sonic and Tails are just the greatest pair in gaming history. They help each other through the stages and both kick butt. So it’s down to Bowser and Robotnik. Robotnik is just so much more evil and down right uglier than Bowser- which says a lot!! So Sonic wins again, he’s doing well.

Who’s the daddy?
In my opinion Sonic. I love this guy and I love what he has done for gaming. He is cool and has set the standards for many good games of the future! Mario is also pretty cool. Not many plumbers are like him though. His massive range of special abilities and huge range of games makes him a top choice too! Its just the fast paced, non-stop action you receive in Sonic games that make Sonic that much better. Then there is supersonic. No character alive in the gaming world is bigger, better and bolder than this guy- you have to love him. So when it comes down to it. Sonic the hedgehog is the daddy! Please post your comments as I am interested to see if you feel the same or differently.

I rule
Mon 18/03/02 at 18:16
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Solskjær_24 wrote:
And about the cartoons, is it just me or could
> Link shoot stuff out of his sword???? I'm also sure he cannot do that in any of
> the games.

Link can do that on the NES version (the one in the gold cart) and on both oracle of ages and seasons when you get a LV.2 sword.
Mon 18/03/02 at 17:24
Lets face it, as a character Mario is gay. But his games are good. Sonic as a character is pretty kool, but lately his games suck.
Mon 18/03/02 at 17:00
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Sonic Rally took it all????
Sorry, but i've got that game on the GameGear and Mario Kart on any format is much better!!
I agree that the second Sonic TV series was the best, and I do sort of remember bits of the very short Zelda series.

But I never reall watched it much, and didn't start playing the games untill Majora's Mask last year.
And about the cartoons, is it just me or could Link shoot stuff out of his sword???? I'm also sure he cannot do that in any of the games.
Sun 17/03/02 at 15:35
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
From the game point of view, Mario games were always fun to play, and never got boring for about 2 years, whereas sonic games were fun to play, but got a bit samish. Saying that, Sonic adventure 2:battle is a great game, and the variety of levels is amazing.

From the t.v point of view, Sonic's animated series, was by far, the best of the two. Mario was good, but sonic rally took it all.

By the way, who remembers Link's t.v series?
Sat 16/03/02 at 15:46
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
Mario is FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRR better than Sonic!

You actually need some skill to complete a Mario game!

With Sonic games just hold right repeatedly press just, and you eventually get to the end of the level. What also made Sonic games so easy was the fact that aslong as you have 1 coin you can't die (well unless you fall off the bottom of the screen). But in Mario games it required skill to be able to navigate the levels!

Mario's the KING! Sonic is just 2nd best! Well actually not even second best, even Donkey Kong beats Sonic!

I'd soooo wish to be able to go back in time and laugh at all the Sega boys who thought that Sonic was better than Mario, and that Sega were better than Nintendo! Look at Sega now! Don't get me wrong I like Sega and Sonic, but Sonic's on a Nintendo console! Mario's not on a Sega console! OH YES!!!

:)
Sat 16/03/02 at 15:12
Microchips wrote:
> What? You mean the series where sonic and co are freedom fighters living in the
> woods and raiding robotniks lair?

Thats the one. It ruled!!
Sat 16/03/02 at 14:08
Sonic is definitly on top, yes sure mario maybe be in full 3d now, but lets face it, its never been outside nintendo.
i think now sonic is out on the gba and coming for the Gamecube soon theres no contest, its the first time that sega have played there mascot on a different system, and its a success.
Mario is good and i dont despute that, its had a long history, throughout all of its incarnations its been a sucsess.
Maybe its just me being a sonic fan for all those years i never had the game, maybe if id of had a genesis instead of snes, i would of wanted mario more....
Fri 15/03/02 at 19:31
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Microchips wrote:
" What? You mean the series where sonic and co are freedom fighters living in the woods and raiding robotniks lair?"

If he does mean that one then there's no way that that one sucked!! That was the best ever, and incase you didn't know, some characters appeared in Sonic Pinball on the MegaDrive.

If any Sonic cartoon series sucked it was either the very first one or the very latest one. I saw one a year or two ago and it had these pink and green hedgehogs, never seen before!

Did you also know that Sonic started off as an Animé character!!
Thu 14/03/02 at 18:24
Regular
RM18 wrote:
> Mario

No...holsten pills
Thu 14/03/02 at 18:24
Regular
Mario

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.