GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Just for Strafex"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Metroid Prime'.
Sun 17/11/02 at 13:22
Regular
Good old Dan/Strafex is a little dissapointed in Metroid for two reasons:

1: Jumping doesn't work too well in first person as well as third person.
2: Samus is such a cool character and you can't really see her in first person.

I can't offer you a much better response than the ones Retro Studio's and Miyamoto gave interviewers:

1:

Q: What was the hardest part of the game to get right?

Steve: Probably the first-person jumping. From the beginning, we realized that we were going to have to pay a lot of attention there since we were creating a platformer.
We recognized very early on that it was going to be a challenge to be able to jump through the environment like we wanted to. There aren't many games where first-person jumping is any fun at all. We continually spent a lot of effort to get it right.

2:

Miyamoto-san: Since you don't get to see Samus very often in a first-person game, we wanted Retro to introduce a lot of cinema scenes. There are also places where you'll catch glimpses of Samus as she's reflected in the environment. Those are the things we wanted to add in order to give the player a chance to see the great models we've developed.
Tue 19/11/02 at 22:26
Regular
"bit of a brain"
There should be less, nay, no aliens. Then it would be almost perfect.
Tue 19/11/02 at 22:22
Regular
"not dead"
The reviews of Prime make it out to be very promising indeed.

It's funny, with a game that we haven't seen since the SNES days, technology and gaming has moved on so much, I really couldn't envision how they were going to keep it Metroid, but by all accounts everything is in the game you'd expect.

I'm really looking forward to it now.
Sun 17/11/02 at 22:05
Regular
Tribute, I've not played it. :-)

I know.

I stopped being disappointed ages ago when I decided that although it wasn't quite the "Super Metroid in 3D" I was hoping for, it's a great game in it's own right, and best we could probably expect of human devellopers. :-)

What they've done isn't bad for an FPS.
The double jump in particular should make the jumping half as awful as it is in most FPS, and the cutscenes should mean we see much more of Samus than the average FPS.

BUT:

Seeing characters in a cutscene is nothing compared to controlling them in real time, messing around in general.
And as good as Retro have made First Person jumping, they could've made third person jumping a billion times better, so I'm still right! :-P

Anyway, Prime is fine as it is, but I would like to see Samus go back to third person for any future Metroid games. Still have a first person perspective as an option ofcourse, but to be able to choose the third person option as well, getting the best out of all worlds. :-)

PS. I bought my brothers old GBA - can't wait to get Fusion! :-)
Sun 17/11/02 at 17:10
Regular
"Festivus!"
Strafex has played on it? MUST... KILL.. STRAFEX!
Sun 17/11/02 at 16:39
Regular
"gsybe you!"
hehe!

Metroid is so going to rule!
Sun 17/11/02 at 13:22
Regular
Good old Dan/Strafex is a little dissapointed in Metroid for two reasons:

1: Jumping doesn't work too well in first person as well as third person.
2: Samus is such a cool character and you can't really see her in first person.

I can't offer you a much better response than the ones Retro Studio's and Miyamoto gave interviewers:

1:

Q: What was the hardest part of the game to get right?

Steve: Probably the first-person jumping. From the beginning, we realized that we were going to have to pay a lot of attention there since we were creating a platformer.
We recognized very early on that it was going to be a challenge to be able to jump through the environment like we wanted to. There aren't many games where first-person jumping is any fun at all. We continually spent a lot of effort to get it right.

2:

Miyamoto-san: Since you don't get to see Samus very often in a first-person game, we wanted Retro to introduce a lot of cinema scenes. There are also places where you'll catch glimpses of Samus as she's reflected in the environment. Those are the things we wanted to add in order to give the player a chance to see the great models we've developed.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.