GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Apple Inviting Piracy?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 12/03/02 at 20:17
Regular
I read this amazing report from Special Reserve and just had to post it - it's unbelievable!

'Using nothing more than one of Apple's iPod portable music players, a youth in the US stole more than £400 worth of software!

When Apple released the iPod, they were well aware that if the user so desired, it could be used to download illegal music from the web. However, little did they know that a US teenager woulld find an even more illegal way of using it. Apparently a youth walked into a large US computer store, plugged his iPod into a Macintosh that was on display, then via the FireWire connection proceeded to download its software onto his iPod. Most ironic of all, the iPod would not have even had to leave his pocket during this time. Once the FireWire lead is plugged in, the Macintosh recognises it and instantly creates a desktop icon for it. From here all you need do is drag and drop files from the computer to the iPod!

According the shop in question, the thief got away with a copy of Microsoft Office for Mac OS X, which is worth over £400, plus a number of smaller applications! Now you may say, how the heck did he fit all this software onto an iPod? Well the iPod has a huge 5GB storage capacity and with the FireWire connection it can transfer 200MB, about the size of the Mac version of Microsoft Office, in about 1 minute!

Virtual crime – whatever next!'

Whose saying he gets caught? I doubt he will. Very intelligent plan though. Wish I'd thought of it...
Tue 12/03/02 at 20:17
I read this amazing report from Special Reserve and just had to post it - it's unbelievable!

'Using nothing more than one of Apple's iPod portable music players, a youth in the US stole more than £400 worth of software!

When Apple released the iPod, they were well aware that if the user so desired, it could be used to download illegal music from the web. However, little did they know that a US teenager woulld find an even more illegal way of using it. Apparently a youth walked into a large US computer store, plugged his iPod into a Macintosh that was on display, then via the FireWire connection proceeded to download its software onto his iPod. Most ironic of all, the iPod would not have even had to leave his pocket during this time. Once the FireWire lead is plugged in, the Macintosh recognises it and instantly creates a desktop icon for it. From here all you need do is drag and drop files from the computer to the iPod!

According the shop in question, the thief got away with a copy of Microsoft Office for Mac OS X, which is worth over £400, plus a number of smaller applications! Now you may say, how the heck did he fit all this software onto an iPod? Well the iPod has a huge 5GB storage capacity and with the FireWire connection it can transfer 200MB, about the size of the Mac version of Microsoft Office, in about 1 minute!

Virtual crime – whatever next!'

Whose saying he gets caught? I doubt he will. Very intelligent plan though. Wish I'd thought of it...
Tue 12/03/02 at 21:53
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
Well, that sounds like a really good pice of kit, don't see whats wrong with it, the kid was smart, it was the PC shops fault for not passwording the Mac in the first place,
I'm pretty sure those USB hdd SR sells could do the same thing, if they stored abour 100mb you could easily do the same, leave it in, shut the monitor down, walk around some other dhops for half hour or so, come back, pull the hdd out and leave.
*cough* well, it could happen.

anyway, iPod sounds like a good idea, no doubt there are people online that have more than £400 worth of illegal software on their PCs, so hes not the first.
Wed 13/03/02 at 07:11
I wouldn't dare leave the shop with an expensive piece of equipment left on it's own in a shop that is probably well populated and all the other such like factors. I'd plug it in at the start, leave it there and then walk around the shop, play some games to maybe waste 10 or 20 minutes of the half an hour, then go over to it, unplug it and leave.

Applications really are overpriced anyway. £500 for Adobe Premier!? Well, I have it, and I didn't pay that for it, so I don't really care :0)
Wed 13/03/02 at 08:56
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
Thing is with Windows, it will take a loooong time to copy all the files onto, whatever your storigin it on, thinking about it, don't external Zip drives (jazz whatever) do the same thing, they plug into the USB port and make their own icon e.g. E:\
anyway, it would take a long time to copy the files, even then, they might end up corrupt, so it's nor really worth it, can't see any shop in the UK leaving a PC unpassworded though, so chances are pretty slim, also even if there was, and i'm just guessing here ;) but I doubt they'd have any image programes such as Photoshop running on them, you'd be lucky to get a copy of XP or 2K.
Wed 13/03/02 at 23:08
Regular
"Wasting away"
I always knew Apple would deliver in style and they've done it. I bet they hired him to show off just how fancy their software really is and it's capabilities and since that occurance, there's been a 300% increase in sales.
Wed 13/03/02 at 23:09
Regular
"everyone says it"
A complete lie. The iPod only accepts mp3's. Even if there was a way for it to accept other types of programs, the actual Mac wouldn't allow it.

Also.. how would he be able to install the software once he had it on the iPod? Remember the actual installing software is on the original CD.

COMPLETE CRAP. SHUT UP SHANEO.
Wed 13/03/02 at 23:21
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
er-no wrote:
> A complete lie. The iPod only accepts mp3's. Even if there was a way for it to
> accept other types of programs, the actual Mac wouldn't allow it.

Also.. how
> would he be able to install the software once he had it on the iPod? Remember
> the actual installing software is on the original CD.

COMPLETE CRAP. SHUT UP
> SHANEO.

http://www.apple.com/ipod/specs.html

Maybe you'd like to read the specs. :)
But just in case you can't be bothered...

— Stores data in FireWire disk mode

As for installing software, who says he needs to? Plenty enough software you can transfer from computer to computer by just copying the installed files. And in any event for all we know, he may have copied the contents of the CD that was in the Mac at the time...

-G
Wed 13/03/02 at 23:29
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
Tis true, you don't need the installation files from the CD, you just need to copy all the files of the program, would take up quite a bit of space considering it wouldn't have been compressed.
Thu 14/03/02 at 19:43
Regular
"everyone says it"
Fogmaster wrote:
> Tis true, you don't need the installation files from the CD, you just need to
> copy all the files of the program, would take up quite a bit of space
> considering it wouldn't have been compressed.

Most packages wouldn't have worked just from copying the route folders onto anything, I think I used to try it when I had two imacs and didn't want to find the CD's in my attic.
Fri 15/03/02 at 07:15
er-no wrote:
> A complete lie. The iPod only accepts mp3's. Even if there was a way for it to
> accept other types of programs, the actual Mac wouldn't allow it.

Also.. how
> would he be able to install the software once he had it on the iPod? Remember
> the actual installing software is on the original CD.

COMPLETE CRAP. SHUT UP
> SHANEO.

Shut up yourself you moron, I took it from a SPECIAL RESERVE NEWS REPORT YOU DISTENDED PIECE OF RECTUM!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.