GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Something Weird"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 17/11/02 at 16:50
Regular
Do you want to know something I really hate about games?

Imagine this scene which you are probably all too familiar with and you will probably realize you hate it as well...

You’re sitting down playing a game when suddenly something which looks real easy comes along. You sit down and have a crack at it whilst feeling really smug and suddenly you fail. So you give it another go but then fail again. You’re not going to take this, it's mocking you now, so you take another go...again you fail. This continues for the majority of the rest of your play time with each second getting more and more frustrating then the last. It comes down to the point where you get so fed up you turn the console off and wonder off to do something else or you damage the hardware in some shape or form.

The next day you sit down to that same again. Casually you go for the challenge you had done the day before and on your first go it's done.

All that time you spent slaving away, getting more and more annoyed have all gone to waste because you've just came and done it on your first go after a break.

Don't you just hate that?

It makes me wonder what causes this to happen, because sometimes the challenge really is easy and after you've done it once you can do it over and over again without fail. But that one time, that first time you, you just couldn't do it. It's not just the first time either, sometimes it can be anytime at all.

And it's weird.

I think there's some kind of psychology behind this and it appears to have an effect on us naturally. Not only in real world but in the gaming world also.
Sun 17/11/02 at 22:12
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
I know how you feel, but I tend to think my cause is through age. i was still a young 'un when I played on my NES and SNES, and playing them now, i'm able to complete things that I couldn't before. Whether experience or logical thinking has allowed me to do this, I don't know, but I am definately better than I was a few years ago.

:D
Sun 17/11/02 at 18:59
"Uzi Lover"
Cyclone wrote:
> Mario Sunshine is the perfect example actualy.

I watched my little sister climb to the top of this falling sandbag thing to reach a shine and each time she fell back down but survived.

Seeing her try over and over and get so close was just so funny to watch.

I could do it first time though ;-)
Sun 17/11/02 at 18:43
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Mario Sunshine is the perfect example actualy.

Except you want to keep on trying, its so damn addictive.........
Sun 17/11/02 at 17:51
Regular
"Must be Parkinson's"
hmmm that happened to me on one of those hidden star pipe things in mario sunsine gah
Sun 17/11/02 at 17:02
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Of course, trying hard and failing is never a good things, and it gets on your nerves to much.
Sun 17/11/02 at 16:59
"Uzi Lover"
I think your confidence builds after you have attempted the level over and over. Because in a way its like a new school, at first you don't know your way around and you see it as a terrible daunting place but then once you've travelled around it a few times you know it very well. Yet when you fail to reach your goal in this level/school it all becomes very hard on you because you think you know the place so well.

I think soemtimes you can try too hard and at other times trying not to hard at all is a good thing.
Sun 17/11/02 at 16:56
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Cyclone wrote:
> Another annoying thing is where you do something first time, then try
> again and you can't!

Now, that is just the oposite, the first time you just give it a shot, and pass, the second time you try like hell to do the same thing as you did before, but can't.

See what games do to our minds.
Sun 17/11/02 at 16:55
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
Yeah, it's really annoying. **Thinks about when this happened in GTA 3**
Yeah, it is. I think you're looking a little too deeply into it mind, with the psychological effect and all.
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
They way I see it, theres something tellig you that this is so easy, that it would be such an embaressment to yourself if you fail, so you try that extra bit harder to complete it. The problem is, you try to hard, and instead of flying through it, you screw it up.

When you come back to you, your less bothered about it, and do it as it should be done, simple and easy.

It's just something on the first time that makes you try so hard that it makes you worse .... strange I know, but that's what I think it is. I've done it loads of times, the first being really carefull and doing my best, and failing, then going away, come back and ain't to bothered, just give it a shot, and pass first time :o)

Tip is, if you fail, instead of trying and trying again, just take a break there and then.
"Uzi Lover"
Cyclone wrote:
> Another annoying thing is where you do something first time, then try
> again and you can't!

Yep I've had that one too.

Maybe we just got lucky the first time around :-)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.