GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Importance Of Being ... Noobish?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 17/11/02 at 17:46
Regular
I've come here (to my computer) to discuss something which I think contributes to the ethos of the gameaday forums. That thing is being a newbie. I use the SR forums as an example because of its main pulling point, winning a free game. This is generally what attracts people to this site and henceforth, affects the first post made by a JAT. This post will usually be long winded, trying to go against the stereotyping of a noobs first post, but ending up to actually be a stereotypical first post, because everyone had the same thought. After the initial shock of being a typical newbie, the noob will then read every single post on the topic and make short snappy replies to them all ensuring everyone dismisses them as a spamming idiot. But most people underestimate the importance of the newbie to such a forum as these ones. Amongst the regulars, there is a mass hatred of posting constantly, or spamming, simply because in an online community, it is considered annoying, very much so, a matter of online etiquette. The fact that newbies reply all the time, this gives a regular, an opportunity to say something seemingly intelligent and much degredating towards the newbie, pointing out mistakes that they have made, and contributing their own point of view, getting online credit for showing the newbie that he actually doesn't know what he's talking about and by showing him what would be the more acceptable thing to say or point out. Thus, it is so that the newbie actually forms the basis of a conversation, or ruins it, because the newbies are the cogs inbetween the proper posts by the regulars and the notables that keep threads running, keeping the forums at a constant pace, and giving feedback to everything. In this case, the noobs are the fundamental cogs on which replies can be aimed at in threads.

Newbies, also play a psychological role in posting in these forums. Noobs are constantly undermined as losers, whereas most regulars are well respected, the fact that regulars tend to stick together and occasionally make a derogatory statement towards newbies, most will agree, and stick together giving, the regulars a sense of companion ship, and happiness, knowing that people agree with them. The noob on the other hand, will generally not be discouraged through this, on the contrary, they will probably just try harder to write more intelligent sounding articles, but again, most regulars will refuse to acknowledge this. Not because they think that it was a bad post, but because it wouldn't be accepted for a notable to congratulate a newbie. These kinds of forums rely on a special equilibrium between noobs, notables and regulars, like a less complicated food cycle.

Finally, the heaviest burden is placed upon the staff who decide actually win the GAD. If you spot a longish thread, chances are that the user who posted it, wants a new game. This can discourage people, because there is no heart in the article, and that the user just can't be ar*ed to earn some money. If you were to ask me what the newbies greatest achievement was, I would tell you that they are not delusional about the SR forums are. They know that they are making posts on SR to win free games, and the point is, Lots of regulars try to seem so innocent, but if they just wanted to talk about games, (not win games through topical posts) then they should just find a different gaming forum site. Newbies accept this, but when they turn into regulars, they will try to fit in with the other regulars (as the name suggests) and will be in denial about why they are on it because most regulars are.

That is why I view newbies just as important as regulars, and notables. Think about this post. It might actually make sense.

torticollis.
Tue 19/11/02 at 16:53
Regular
"Must be Parkinson's"
J-$@V0 wrote:
> ok tehn, lets get back to the opic, I have interupted this topic and I
> am sorry Totillas

Thankyou for that mature and adult like approach to the situation J, have a shiny star, and learn to spell.
Mon 18/11/02 at 22:37
Regular
"Max Power"
J-$@V0 wrote:
> You are a fool J savo, you posted a who to win gad topic and you
> haven't even won so be quite sit in the corner and wait for you're
> foster parents to come 'n' pick you up.

why did he write that about himself
Mon 18/11/02 at 22:34
Regular
ok tehn, lets get back to the opic, I have interupted this topic and I am sorry Totillas
Mon 18/11/02 at 22:32
Regular
"Festivus!"
Well, get you facts correct before you accuse then, mkay?
Mon 18/11/02 at 22:31
Regular
I would click the stat but pop-ups dont seem to work on my computer any more so I cant.
Mon 18/11/02 at 22:28
Regular
"Festivus!"
J-$@V0 wrote:
> You are a fool Tribute, you posted a who to win gad topic and you
> haven't even won so be quite

Click 'Stats' and you'll see I have. GAD 1. Indeed

> sit in the corner and wait for you're
> foster parents to come 'n' pick you up.

No. I have real parents and real friends - unlike you for the latter.
Mon 18/11/02 at 22:28
Regular
"bit of a brain"
No he didn't and yes he has.
Mon 18/11/02 at 22:26
Regular
You are a fool Tribute, you posted a who to win gad topic and you haven't even won so be quite sit in the corner and wait for you're foster parents to come 'n' pick you up.
Mon 18/11/02 at 22:25
Regular
"Festivus!"
J-$@V0 wrote:
> Take Tribute for example.

I did join for GAD. And I aint a newbie
Mon 18/11/02 at 22:23
Regular
"Max Power"
J-$@V0 wrote:
> Tribute wrote:
> torticollis do you think taht it is only n00bs who come to win GAD?
> HA!
>
> Take Tribute for example.

your name isnt tribute its j savo
are you getting your words lmixed up arrrrrhhhhhhhhhh

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.